Why so expensive?? Just a sign of the times or ....

MaiTaiMary

I don't think they have gone up that much. I looked at what my parents paid for our inside room 7 days on the sensation back in 1999 and compared to what I have been paying on my last few cruises. the last cruise I took was the cheapest 7 day cruise I have taken ($450 per person window room). you could also blame gas prices. Gas prices here jumped up 30 cents overnight :mad: WTH! lol.

Our last Carnival cruise was three years ago. 8 nights, Mexican Riviera. We had an aft balcony cabin. Price per person was around $750.

We're pricing cruises for next Fall and I can't believe how expensive they are!!! :eek:

7 nights, Mexican Riviera, Ocean view cabin start at $1,149!

I haven't been keeping up with cruises very much the past few years. Has there really been that dramatic of a price increase?

We want to go in October from the west coast and there is hardly anything to choose from. :( SO sad Carnival doesn't have cruises out of San Diego anymore!

Anyway...

the cruise we are looking at goes to two ports: Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. 7 nights on the Miracle. It's not a holiday week and I don't believe this is a newer ship. (?)

So does starting at $1,149 for an ocean view sound about right? Just trying to figure out why it's so expensive now. :(

eta: with taxes the OV cabins on this cruise are starting at $2,416.90. Ouch.

I completely agree.. It seems like the more problems the cruise lines have the more the prices go up .. I Keep looking for these so called great deals but I never find them anymore .. : )

I too say, book it for next year with an early saver, and plan something else for this year. I am glad to think that Carnival thinks the economy is going to get better, I would love to only have to work two jobs instead of 3.:rolleyes: And still not be able to pay all the bills on time:confused:

Rates rarely go down on the West Coast.

It's just supply and demand. There are fewer cruises out of California. I believe part of that stems from the problems cruisers have encountered in some of the Mexican Riviera ports. For example, most, if not all, cruise lines stopped going to Mazatlan because of the safety problems. Cruises out of Florida are plentiful and much less expensive.

Remember that if you cruise out of LA, you're saving by not paying airfare and you might not need to have pre and post hotels.

We live in Illinois (not near Chicago), so have airfare no matter where we cruise from and it is usually very expensive. We cruised a month ago out of Florida and to get the air price to less than $750 per person, we had to stay an extra night. We always fly in at least one day early.

Mostly the reason for the high price, as has been mentioned, is the fact that the cruise is nearly full. A major reason that cruise is nearly full is that it is the first Mexican cruise after the Miracle gets back from Alaska. Subsequent cruises are likely less expensive. But as that is the first cruise south since last April, it is bound to be crowded. So it's just like a holiday criuise, it's full and expensive.

In answer to your other comments, no, prices generally have not gone up on cruises. Our first Carnival cruise to the MR was in 1992 and we paid $700 per person for 7 days in an OV cabin. Our 8 day MR cruise in March of 2012 was $800 for an extended balcony. A 20 year span with prices actually going down a tiny bit.

There are factors which make some cruises more expensive than others (just paid $500 for an OV 3 day cruise over Memorial day weekend), but I think that generally, cruising is certainly no more expensive than it was many years ago.

Bob

Fall 2014? If so it would make since to have really high prices. You might fall trap and get a past guest or super saver rate and be stuck with a high price. Best case scenario for carnival is they have a high price and its sold out. Make a bigger profit.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Just a note...my father's side of the family were from Chester on Kent Island, and lived on crab apple creek...can remember crabbing with my grandfather in his boat back in the early 1950's...learned how to shuck oysters as he had an oyster bed at the end of his dock...those were very special days, IMHO !!!!

West Coast is always more expensive than East Coast. There are fewer lines sailing to Mexico and therefore less competition so the rates stay pretty high. All of the lines that sail out of the West (Carnival, Princess, HAL & NCL) are around the same price.

That's way too high........even when you go into the booking engine and find your way to that cruise for $1019 that's still $145pp per night. A balcony is only $50 more, but there is no way that I would pay that much for a cruise.

If your dates are more flexable, that same cruise has a base price on an OV of $719 for the Nov. 17th sailing and $859 for the Nov. 24th sailing.

Our last Carnival cruise was three years ago. 8 nights, Mexican Riviera. We had an aft balcony cabin. Price per person was around $750.

We're pricing cruises for next Fall and I can't believe how expensive they are!!! :eek:

7 nights, Mexican Riviera, Ocean view cabin start at $1,149!

I haven't been keeping up with cruises very much the past few years. Has there really been that dramatic of a price increase?

We want to go in October from the west coast and there is hardly anything to choose from. :( SO sad Carnival doesn't have cruises out of San Diego anymore!

Anyway...

the cruise we are looking at goes to two ports: Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. 7 nights on the Miracle. It's not a holiday week and I don't believe this is a newer ship. (?)

So does starting at $1,149 for an ocean view sound about right? Just trying to figure out why it's so expensive now. :(

eta: with taxes the OV cabins on this cruise are starting at $2,416.90. Ouch.

We're on the Miracle later this year also but booked last year. The price for our same balcony is now $740 more (for both of us) than it was at our booking time. We did ES as we always do, but have only gotten an OBC for a price drop once and that was a few years ago. The west coast cruises are always lots more because of the lack of supply.

The op is right. The price has gone way up on this cruise. I sailed on the Splendor over Thanksgiving last year and it was almost half the price. And I started looking at the prices for next year as soon as we left the ship. So it had nothing to do with selling out. Yes the Miracle is smaller so less cabins to sell. But the prices are ridiculous.

And to me the Carnival prices look dirt cheap compared to what I used to pay on Disney! I know apples to oranges, but still, equal food, better ports I want to go to and an awesome aft wrap balcony for the same price as an inside on Disney. Nah, Carnival is a deal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We did ES as we always do, but have only gotten an OBC for a price drop once and that was a few years ago. The west coast cruises are always lots more because of the lack of supply.

We very rarely do ES anymore for our West Coast cruises. We usually book about a year in advance for our long cruises and the prices for past guest are close to ES rate and we have the flexibility of changing the cruise. Our last OBC for a price drop was on our 3/12 cruise (we have taken 3 cruises after this one).

Archived