St. Petersburg hydrofoil/canal boats for physically challanged

I will be in St. Petersburg in May 2014 and have several choices for tours. The first tour offers no hydrofoil or canal trip, the second includes both. Sometimes I have a mobility issue with uneven surfaces, such as leaping onto rocking boats, and might need a railing or sturdy hand for assistance.

My question is...how easy or difficult is it getting on and off both the hydrofoil and canal boats? Is the hydrofoil ride smooth or do you bounce the whole trip? Are there many steps to get to each venue?

These may sound silly but I don't want to get caught in the middle of a tour that might be difficult. Would appreciate opinions from those who have done both.

Diane

I did both the canal tour in SPB & the hydrofoil to Peterhof. Both were very easy to board. However, the water was very calm on both days so I cannot comment on the ease of boarding if the waves are rough.

The Hydrofoil ride to Peterhof was smooth (no inordinate bouncing about) ... the canal ride was extremely smooth.

I did both the canal tour in SPB & the hydrofoil to Peterhof. Both were very easy to board. However, the water was very calm on both days so I cannot comment on the ease of boarding if the waves are rough.

The Hydrofoil ride to Peterhof was smooth (no inordinate bouncing about) ... the canal ride was extremely smooth.

We did both on our May 23rd cruise and both rides are smooth. The Hydrofoil is a lot more roomy then the canal boat and is ez to get in and out of the boat with no waves. However, there are a few steps to go down if you want to stay inside the canal boat so it's better to stay on the upper deck. They give us blankets for the canal boat ride because it was 60 cool degrees. The Hydrofoil ride is all inside so you don't have a choice there but there are 3 steps for you to get down the boat.

I will be in St. Petersburg in May 2014 and have several choices for tours. The first tour offers no hydrofoil or canal trip, the second includes both. Sometimes I have a mobility issue with uneven surfaces, such as leaping onto rocking boats, and might need a railing or sturdy hand for assistance.

My question is...how easy or difficult is it getting on and off both the hydrofoil and canal boats? Is the hydrofoil ride smooth or do you bounce the whole trip? Are there many steps to get to each venue?

These may sound silly but I don't want to get caught in the middle of a tour that might be difficult. Would appreciate opinions from those who have done both.

Diane

Diane

Very good questions and one that you really need a legit answer for. The Canal ride is on the canals so there will be no waves and the ride is very smooth. The Hydrofoil is sort of floating along the surface and may rock some, really depending on the water surface that day.

My best advice to you is when you are looking to book a tour, if you are looking for one thru one of the private tour companies, is to ask those very specific question. Really, they would be the ones to give you the best answers and advice,

Do you require a wheel chair, or just have difficulty on steps?

Anyway, I'm sure you will get excellent advice, either from some one who has just returned or from the tour people.

Cheers

Len

Thanks for all the replies, they have been very helpful. Mobility challenged for most in my group are the usual 'getting older, going slower' joints. Mostly really needing a steady and solid hold when boarding.

Diane

Diane,

You may be nice suprised to have a really steady and firm hand assisting you to get on and off board of hydrofoil , since russian men are very cavalry. The chairs there are wide enough and very secured. No need to worry about ride , because the worst season with high winds and rough water , as I was told , is fall .

The canal ride is very smooth, but you may ask tour guide for an advice , because not all boardings are the same.

Enjoy.

Kerry.

Archived