Flight from Anchorage

TamaLee

We are sailing on the Carnival Spirit next May and I am trying to get an idea about the air portion of my trip. We dock in Whittier at the end of our cruise. We are thinking about just going straight to the airport in Anchorage and coming home. What would be the earliest time I should book a flight? There is a flight at 1:27 pm would that give us enough time to get from Whittier to the Anchorage Airport? Would it be better to take the red eye and sight see on the way to the airport? There are flights at 12:55 am and later.

What would be the fastest way to get from the cruise ship dock in Whittier to the airport in Anchorage?

Thanks for any and all advice in advance.

We are sailing on the Carnival Spirit next May and I am trying to get an idea about the air portion of my trip. We dock in Whittier at the end of our cruise. We are thinking about just going straight to the airport in Anchorage and coming home. What would be the earliest time I should book a flight? There is a flight at 1:27 pm would that give us enough time to get from Whittier to the Anchorage Airport? Would it be better to take the red eye and sight see on the way to the airport? There are flights at 12:55 am and later.

What would be the fastest way to get from the cruise ship dock in Whittier to the airport in Anchorage?

Thanks for any and all advice in advance.

It is a 3-4 hour drive to Anchorage. I personally would not feel comfortable with a 1:27 flight.

The fastest way to Anchorage is rent a car. It is also the most expensive.

Take your time, enjoy the scenery and take the red eye home. Most of the flights, especially where you are flying to, leave late at night.

Gina

I thought that I read somewhere that the transit time is less than the 4 plus hours required from Seward....

We are looking at the same transfer options for our Island Princess cruise so I guess I better do some more research!

• 2 weeks later...

Whittier to Anchorage via the Alaska Railroad is not quite 2 1/2 hours. I would think it would not take quite as long by car. Don't forget to factor in the tunnel which alternates between rail and car traffic.

If you want the fastest way without the high-priced one way car rental, I think that would be on the cruise ship shuttle.

We are still weighing out options, but I think we have decided to go with the Carnival air and transfers. We have spoken to several people who have been on early afternoon flights using this option. Better than a 1:30am flight. Even if it was a little less expensive.

We bought RCCL transfers and were the first ones off the ship and went directly on to the bus. We had a scenic trip and even stopped for pictures and easily made a 1:00 flight. I realize you are asking about Carnival but I can't believe they wouldn't do something similiar.

Archived