Texas cruisers question

What is the best way coming from Oklahoma City to get through or around Houston? We drove to Galveston last year and before we decide to do it again this Dec., I thought I'd ask the experts.

I grew up in Houston. If you're driving, take the "Sam Houston Tollway" a.k.a. Beltway 8 around the town to avoid Downtown and the traffic. Get off at I-45 and go South to Galveston, about 35 miles.

Check out http://www.chron.com (Houston Chronicle) a few days before coming to check for road closures that may be occuring during the evenings or weekends. If you are coming in during the week between about 8:30 and 3;30, I45 would be the best way. Another alternate would be 610 east around to 45 South. The beltway is a very big loop around.:)

We have gone to Galveston numerous times through Houston from Dallas.

There is always construction north of Houston (and has been that way for at least 10 yrs now....). Go mid-day and the day before you sail. Stay overnight and that way you don't have to worry about timing.

We wouldn't dream of either flying or driving on the day of departure! Thanks for the info. We saw 610 last time, but were not sure if we should take it. We'll try 610 east to 45 south.

Actually...There is major construction on 610 E right now..Both sides are down to 2 barricaded lanes...every other Sat,each direction is completly closed...

It is usually your best bet..But I would still check the above link for closures.

This is a great real time link..If you have wireless internet available

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/traffic/traffic.mpl?inc=on

After growing up in Houston, spending many of my post college years there, you really learn how to "drive", and they say Austin traffic is bad. But if I were you I'd hook up some fun fares on SW Airlines and fly to Hobby, that'll put you on the other side of all the messed up traffic between OK City and Houston (35 to Dallas, Dallas traffic and then good old Houston traffic starting somewhere around Huntsville)!!! That way the only traffic you'll have to put up with is 45 South to Galveston....but I digress, all the other posters were right on!!!! Have a great trip and cruise!

Yes, coming down 45. Hmm. Seems I remember last Dec. that there were signs about closing on 610 and that's why we didn't try it. Southwest doesn't currently have any cheap fares for us from OKC. I'll keep looking since our cruise isn't until Dec. 3. Thanks to all for input.

I live in Houston (since 1982) and can say coming from up north the best way is I-45 south all the way to Galveston. It is the most direct way there. Taking the beltway would add 30 miles to your trip. Taking the 610 loop would add 10-12 miles. These 2 routes only make you do a semi circle instead of coming striahght through.

don't come through town on a weekday anyway near rush hours (7-9 am or 3-6 pm). Weekends in the morning are perfectly fine but nighttimes would have a little more traffic.

Just come 45 the whole way. It is not that bad even during peak times. I assume you would be coming in Sat. for a Sun. departure, so it should be no problem.

What part of town do you live in?!?! After 4pm it's always backed up southbound from 610 to past Clear Lake. :confused:

Have to agree with PT...Although..You are gonna have to deal with that traffic..From 610 down to just north of Bay Brook Mall regardless of which route you take.From the beltway,to just past El Dorado is Horrible..all the time.Both Directions.

A couple of Fridays ago.We left home (just south of League City) headed N to the Astros game.It took us 45 min to get to Fuqua!!

But agreed,if you hit Houston on a Saturday,prior to 10 AM...you will be pretty cool...

Archived