Royal Caribbean Low-Carb Cruising?

TNIris

Hi everyone! :)

I am a low-carber (30-50 grams per day), and we are going on Royal's Freedom of the Seas in October.

I know I will be fine at breakfast and lunch, and dinner, too for all that matters, but seeing as how we are going on a cruise, I would really like to be able to eat some yummy new foods.

But I don't want to do it at the "risk" of eating something without knowing how many carbs are in it. I've heard about their garlic soup (cream based) and sugar-free deserts, but some sugar-free deserts are loaded in carbs because of the fruit.

I emailed Royal Caribbean (twice) and both times they said they do not have nutritional info on the items on their menu because their menu is constantly changing. While that may be true, I'm sure there are some items that are always on there!

Any advice? Of course, I can stick with my tried and true broiled fish and steamed veggies, but I do that at home! I want to splurge a little! :D

I wondered if they might have deserts that are gluten free and sugar free? That might guarantee it would be low-carb!

Anyone do low-carb on a cruise!?

I don't follow a low carb diet myself, but I have sailed Royal Caribbean many times and I can tell you some of their desserts are sugar free and some are gluten free. In fact, as I recall, you can find some sugar free items everyday in the Windjammer buffet and in the main dining room at night.

Cruise ships serve an amazing variety of foods and I am certain you will find interesting selections at every that will still be within your diet guidelines.

Low carbs has been my lifestyle for about 3 years. I lost a ton of weight and have kept it off...because to this day...I still do low carbs...BUT...when I go on a cruise, (two or three times a year), I allow myself things I would never eat at home, such as pasta, bread, etc.

I am not a big dessert eater, but will have it once or twice on a ship. Since you already are a low carb dieter, you should pretty much know by heart how many carbs are in certain things.

I say, go and enjoy your cruise and not worry for the week. Your diet will still be there when you get home:o:o:o

I stayed relatively on track at breakfast but had trouble on the other meals. Carbs beget carbs. I felt like I had to "enjoy" some "decadent" meals and I went off track. I stayed off track for months after the cruise too. It was hard to go back after I gained back all my weight.

Truthfully, I'm worried about my next cruise. Choices abound, and its up to me to make good ones.

I'm not trying to scare you or bring you down. I hope you are successful and happy however you decide to eat!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I just got off a Princess cruise and am a 30g carber right now. I really had no problem making good choices. A couple of times I had a bite of bread or a bite of my daughters dessert, but I was able to stick to choosing proteins. (I am not a huge veggie eater) I also didn't stick to my strict carb numbers and just estimated. I also chose fruit over higher carb options if I was looking for a snack or was desparate. Princess delivers a bowl of fruit so I ate the kiwi most days. For dessert in the dining room I had the cheese plate and asked for a bowl of berries. This was provided to me each night and I had a nice cup of tea with cream and it was pretty decadent.

I even stayed pretty satisfied because I was able to get the shrimp salad for a snack or a salad at the buffet. I also took my protein shakes that my doctor wants me to drink every day and that helped too.

I weighed myself halfway through and I had lost 4 pounds. The walking helped too and this was the first cruise where I wasn't bloated with swollen feet and ankles.

Archived