A few hours in Toulon

romantic cruiser

Hi, As first time cruisers we dock in Toulon on our first day, and I'm hoping to stay close to the port and use the day as an easy day getting our bearings on and off the ship. Can you please advise on whats nearby to the port (ie within walking distance). I understand there may be two ports? I'm not sure which we will be docking in on the Princess Ruby.

Any help greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Hi, As first time cruisers we dock in Toulon on our first day, and I'm hoping to stay close to the port and use the day as an easy day getting our bearings on and off the ship. Can you please advise on whats nearby to the port (ie within walking distance). I understand there may be two ports? I'm not sure which we will be docking in on the Princess Ruby.

Just read down this first page..lots of info here.

New to Cruise Critic. Will also be traveling to Toulon in September. Don't see first page where there is lots of info. Do I need to so something to see it?

When you bring up this board..that is your first page...then you can go to other pages at the bottom...lots of info here..really. Welcome to the boards.

Hi & Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

There are 2 piers where you could dock: 1) Toulon (Quai Fournel pier which is by the city center of Toulon)

or

2) La Seyne-Sur-Mer (Mole d'Armement - west, across the bay from Toulon) Note - if you dock here, you can take either the shuttle bus (was $12 when last I checked) or the ferry (line 8M - was 2 euros) to Toulon.

Some things to see/do in Toulon for an easy, stress free day:

Marina Promenade - lots of cafes & shops

Provencal Street Market - located in the old medieval part of the city & easily walkable from the marina

Mont Faron - you can take the cable car to the top of 'Le Faron' Mountain - great views overlooking the bay

Le Petit Train - little tourist train that runs 2 circuits around Toulon (catch it right on the marina promenade)

Mourillon beaches

National Naval Museum

Trust me, thers little to see or do here. Dont pay the outrageous tours because its so congested you just sit in traffic. The ONLY thing worth doing is swimming but you have to be there long enough to get to the swimming areas.

My advice-- get off the ship and walk around the harbor (eat on the ship-nothing worth paying for). Visit a few of the souveiner shops and get back on board.

I understand the petite train takes you to both the beach, and the town center. Is it like a hop on hop off type of thing? Can you get off in town first, visit the market and grab some goodies, then take the train to the beach for 2-3 hours and then take it again back to the pier?

We are on the Spirit, but I'm not sure where it docks exactly in Toulon. Would anyone know if it is close to where we'd catch the petite train? I think my 12 year olds would enjoy going into town that way. :)

I understand the petite train takes you to both the beach, and the town center. Is it like a hop on hop off type of thing? Can you get off in town first, visit the market and grab some goodies, then take the train to the beach for 2-3 hours and then take it again back to the pier?

We are on the Spirit, but I'm not sure where it docks exactly in Toulon. Would anyone know if it is close to where we'd catch the petite train? I think my 12 year olds would enjoy going into town that way. :)

Really, driving out of area is not worthwhile?

Trust me, thers little to see or do here. Dont pay the outrageous tours because its so congested you just sit in traffic. The ONLY thing worth doing is swimming but you have to be there long enough to get to the swimming areas.

My advice-- get off the ship and walk around the harbor (eat on the ship-nothing worth paying for). Visit a few of the souveiner shops and get back on board.

Tricia, what about driving out of area?

Thank you for your reply. I think as it is our first full day on board we will use it to get to know our bearings of the ship and relax. We may take a walk around the harbour but with it being Sunday I believe most places are closed. The difficulty is with the larger port being away from Toulon so a relaxing day it will be in preparation for our other great ports of call. Many thanks for your help.

Tricia, what about driving out of area?

It is very expensive to rent a car. There are some great places to see within timeframe. I know some took the transport option to St Tropez and thought it was ok.

Its frustrating because Nice, Cannes, or even Monacco would be MUCH better stops (but also costs much more for the ship to port).

Tou can google the area the mapquest it for distance so you can look at the time you need.

Hope this helps.

Really, driving out of area is not worthwhile?

For us, this is the last port after some long, hot days in Rome, Naples, Florence, Athens, etc, where we will be out of the port area. We figured Toulon can be a simple and hopefully relaxing day. We'll all probably need it, as we wiull still have 2 days in Barcelona and 2 weeks in Paris still to come!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

:D Hi all :D I am also a first time cruiser looking for ideas for when our RCL Independence docks in Toulon... a beach and a wander would be lovely but I don't know how close to where we dock anything is?! :eek: Any help or nuggets of advice would be fab! :D

:D Hi all :D I am also a first time cruiser looking for ideas for when our RCL Independence docks in Toulon... a beach and a wander would be lovely but I don't know how close to where we dock anything is?! :eek: Any help or nuggets of advice would be fab! :D

Sorry - newbie here & didn't see all replies following first post!! Does anyone know though which Toulon port the RCL Independence will dock at? It might influence our plan of action! Thanks all! :D

We will cruise in October on Norwegian Spirit from Barcelona to Venice and will dock first in Toulon...I have Googled extensively and read a VERY informative 'Mediterranean Cruise Ports' by Rick Steves. Apparently Toulon is a very French feeling port city and not touristy at all. Seeing that it will be the only French port on the entire cruise, we decided to make the most of it... First we will get to the Provencal market in the old part of town to get some fresh goodies (bread, cheese, fruit) and then catch the little tourist train to the beaches. We will get of at a nice spot and have a picnic lunch...maybe even wet our feet in the Med Sea.. Then back to a promenade cafe close to our ship for coffee and then back onboard...

Doesn't it sound romantic...??:

We will cruise in October on Norwegian Spirit from Barcelona to Venice and will dock first in Toulon...I have Googled extensively and read a VERY informative 'Mediterranean Cruise Ports' by Rick Steves. Apparently Toulon is a very French feeling port city and not touristy at all. Seeing that it will be the only French port on the entire cruise, we decided to make the most of it... First we will get to the Provencal market in the old part of town to get some fresh goodies (bread, cheese, fruit) and then catch the little tourist train to the beaches. We will get of at a nice spot and have a picnic lunch...maybe even wet our feet in the Med Sea.. Then back to a promenade cafe close to our ship for coffee and then back onboard...

Doesn't it sound romantic...??:

Very nice, just a glass or two vino and you have the perfect day

Archived