Cost of Shore Excursions, and SCUBA diving - Star Flyer - Costa Rica?

Smokeyham

We are thinking of doing a weeklong voyage on board the Star Flyer (January, 2014 - Costa Rica and Nicaragua).

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the average cost of the shore excursions are? I know they probably vary according to how involved they are, but for budgeting, if you can give me a ball park figure that would be helpful.

Also, can anyone tell me what they charge for a SCUBA excursion? We are certified divers, and would like to dive during this trip if possible. We would need to rent gear.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The 2014 excursion booklet hasn't been published yet. This is the link to the 2012-2013 booklet for the same area. http://www.starclippers.com/images/stories/shore-excursions/ENG/Star-Flyer-Shore-Excursion-Booklets/Flyer_CostaRica_portbooklet2012.pdf

Scuba activities were handled by the water sports team. I don't recall organized scuba diving being a part of the standard "shore excursion" listings.

I don't dive so I can't give you any details on how the water sports team organized scuba diving. Here is a link to a thread where scuba is discussed: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=291395

Enjoy!

MSN,

How woderfully helpful! Thanks so much! The port brochure is exactly what I needed, and I have posted a question to the thread about Star Flyer/SCUBA which you pointed me to.

I'm guessing that the Star Flyer, being smaller than the Royal Clipper will have fewer dive options, but we are just happy being able to get in the water!

The 2014 excursion booklet hasn't been published yet. This is the link to the 2012-2013 booklet for the same area. http://www.starclippers.com/images/stories/shore-excursions/ENG/Star-Flyer-Shore-Excursion-Booklets/Flyer_CostaRica_portbooklet2012.pdf

Scuba activities were handled by the water sports team. I don't recall organized scuba diving being a part of the standard "shore excursion" listings.

I don't dive so I can't give you any details on how the water sports team organized scuba diving. Here is a link to a thread where scuba is discussed: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=291395

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

We were aboard the Royal Clipper in March 2013. We did three dives off the ship and the experience was great.. Six divers per trip with divemaster.

I am sorry to hear that divemasters are not guaranteed on future sailings!!:eek:

Pricing was 50 euro per dive which was one tank with all gear included. Gear was scuba pro in great shape.

We were aboard the Royal Clipper in March 2013. We did three dives off the ship and the experience was great.. Six divers per trip with divemaster.

I am sorry to hear that divemasters are not guaranteed on future sailings!!:eek:

Pricing was 50 euro per dive which was one tank with all gear included. Gear was scuba pro in great shape.

I suspect that the information I got about the divemaster not being guaranteed to be aboard is because we are on the Star Flyer. I got the sense that it is more likely that they can guarantee a divemaster on the Royal Clipper, since that is a larger ship. However, if diving is really important to your trip I would suggest contacting them.

Thanks for the info. that the dive gear was in really good shape. That is reassuring!

Be advised that the Clippers use European cylinders and they are a bit heavier than aluminum 80's. You'll have to adjust your weights accordingly - the DMs will help you out. Also - if you use your own reg you'll have to have a DIN adaptor. Again, the DMS will help you out with that. They will also let you store your stuff with all the ship's dive gear.

. . . and you'll be diving from Zodiacs.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Be advised that the Clippers use European cylinders and they are a bit heavier than aluminum 80's. You'll have to adjust your weights accordingly - the DMs will help you out. Also - if you use your own reg you'll have to have a DIN adaptor. Again, the DMS will help you out with that. They will also let you store your stuff with all the ship's dive gear.

. . . and you'll be diving from Zodiacs.

Great information! Thanks so much!

I'm wondering if those who responded to you are talking about diving/scuba re the Costa Rica cruise. We haven't taken that cruise on Star Clipper, but have done it on Windstar twice. No diving/scuba or even snorkeling, due to the heavy churn of the Pacific waters=very poor visibility. The last time we sailed along Costa Rica was in early 2010. Maybe this type of activity is possible in the summer months?icon5.gificon6.gif

I'm wondering if those who responded to you are talking about diving/scuba re the Costa Rica cruise. We haven't taken that cruise on Star Clipper, but have done it on Windstar twice. No diving/scuba or even snorkeling, due to the heavy churn of the Pacific waters=very poor visibility. The last time we sailed along Costa Rica was in early 2010. Maybe this type of activity is possible in the summer months?icon5.gificon6.gif

Good point/question! If the diving is not all that great in Costa Rica in January that might explain the lack of a divemaster on board. Perhaps there is just not the demand for it?

All of our Clipper diving has been in the Caribbean - there's always been a DM scheduled. Once there was no DM because of an emergency situation (not dive related) so for the first week of a B2B we didn't dive. When we put into St. Maarten a DM joined us for our second week.

Also FYI - it's much easier to dive from the Royal Clipper because of the RC's marina platform back aft. The RC hails from Georgetown for it's Caribbean itineraries.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Archived