Prawn Question

Eliot Ness

What is the difference between the Mississippi Delta Prawns and the Louisiana Tiger Prawns? On one cruise the wife got some prawns that were like large shrimp. Later in the week I ordered a prawn (might have been a Mississippi river prawn) and it was a crawdad (crawfish). It looked nice (just like a miniature lobster), but I didn't care for it and don't want to make the same mistake again. BTW, our waiter got a pretty good laugh when he saw my reaction when he put in on the table.

What is the difference between the Mississippi Delta Prawns and the Louisiana Tiger Prawns? On one cruise the wife got some prawns that were like large shrimp. Later in the week I ordered a prawn (might have been a Mississippi river prawn) and it was a crawdad (crawfish). It looked nice (just like a miniature lobster), but I didn't care for it and don't want to make the same mistake again. BTW, our waiter got a pretty good laugh when he saw my reaction when he put in on the table.

Not sure any prawns are native to the region. Some imports are farmed in the south.

It didn't look like one of these, did it?

Prawn1.jpg

There's no limit on ordering, so order a backup something, just in case. :D

Don't you mean shrimpS? :D

Maybe he ment shrimp and not shrimps

I received one like that on the Victory but only not that BIG. If it had come to the table looking like that I may have jumped over board.

:)

Ahhh, you don't know what you missed by not eating the crawfish! It's a real delicacy around here. We can't wait for crawfish season every spring. We have huge crawfish boils. Can make many wonderful cajun dishes with them, too.

I remember from my last cruise, there was ONE crawfish on the side of an entree I ordered, and my tablemates were appalled that I ate it.:D I told them I usually eat 3 lbs. at one sitting. (Also known as crayfish, crawdads, mudbugs.)

Websters:

Prawn (pron) n. - an edible shrimplike crustacean...........

I know that is what most prawns I've had have been like, but on the Sensation back in 2000 I had one that was a crawdad/crawfish (like the picture zydecocruiser posted, but smaller). I think it was called a Mississippi River Prawn, rather than Mississippi Delta Prawns as in the current menus.

My wife did get a good laugh because I teased her that the prawns she ordered were going to be crawdads, but they were shrimp (and very tasty at that). Then when I ordered mine a few days later I was the one who got a crawdad!

Cotton, I really appreciate your advice and I'm glad you enjoy them (crawdads), I just have a problem eating something I used to use for bait as a kid ;) .

Ummmm, crawdads

Yeah whateva:p On the two ships I've been on the prawns have been small enough to be called large shrimp:rolleyes:

Dan, I'm in N.O. right now on DD's puter. Think I just might chuck that idea of Port-O-Call for lunch, and go find a crawfish boil somewhere.......lordy, those look soooo delish!

Dan you're gonna have to feed me lots of shrimp and beer before I eat one of those things :D

Liv, after a few three-fers you will eat anything !:D

Cotton, I'm jealous ! We will be there for a Krewe function Aug. 5th but may have to make a run to NOLA before that !

Liv, after a few three-fers you will eat anything !:D

Cotton, I'm jealous ! We will be there for a Krewe function Aug. 5th but may have to make a run to NOLA before that !

Heehee....I might could :D

Best prawns come from the Pacific NW IMO. YUM.

Archived