Prawn Question

Eliot Ness

Ahhh, you don't know what you missed by not eating the crawfish! It's a real delicacy around here. We can't wait for crawfish season every spring. We have huge crawfish boils. Can make many wonderful cajun dishes with them, too.

I remember from my last cruise, there was ONE crawfish on the side of an entree I ordered, and my tablemates were appalled that I ate it.:D I told them I usually eat 3 lbs. at one sitting. (Also known as crayfish, crawdads, mudbugs.)

he was down there for 2 years and to this DAY, still talks about the crawfish boils. he had my mouth watering, right up to the point he talked about sucking internal organs out of their heads. :eek: LOL

We have a crawfish festival here in NJ every year. I've had crawfish once at it. Looked like red bugs to me. Sort of tasted like what I think a bug would taste like too.:eek:

Maybe I didn't drink enough beer first.

I'll stick to the jambalaya, fried chicken, alligator sausage and shrimp creole from now on.

(Now I'm in for it!) Hee Hee

celtic

:D Mama, that's a joke! The section behind the head, before the tail is where all the great spicy juices are from the boiling, and that's the part you, uh, suck. "Pinch da tail and suck da head!" is just an expression, believe me. And - yes, lots of folks do eat fried aligator tails. It's often said a cajun will eat anything that won't eat them first.....and it's true!

Ahhh, you don't know what you missed by not eating the crawfish! It's a real delicacy around here. We can't wait for crawfish season every spring. We have huge crawfish boils. Can make many wonderful cajun dishes with them, too.

I remember from my last cruise, there was ONE crawfish on the side of an entree I ordered, and my tablemates were appalled that I ate it.:D I told them I usually eat 3 lbs. at one sitting. (Also known as crayfish, crawdads, mudbugs.)

mmmmm. crawfish etouffee mmmmmm.

I went to a Chinese restaurant once in Wales and instead of those wonderful fried noodles with your soup, we had these pink styrofoam looking stuff. They were PRAWN crackers, made from ground up shrimp. Yuck!

June

:D Mama, that's a joke! The section behind the head, before the tail is where all the great spicy juices are from the boiling, and that's the part you, uh, suck. "Pinch da tail and suck da head!" is just an expression, believe me. And - yes, lots of folks do eat fried aligator tails. It's often said a cajun will eat anything that won't eat them first.....and it's true!

OOOhhh Cotton, you are oh so right. I am dreaming of the Crawfish boils at R&M Boiling Point on Rt 90 in New Iberia. 4lbs of crawfish for a steal!! They also serve fresh boiled shrimp in the shells with head intact, so sweet, so succulent....mmmmmmmm.

I've got to get to Louisiana more often! Now that DD lives in Lafayette, I will make that happen.

How early does crawfish season start? We will be in LA in December, is that too early? I know that they "raise" crawfish in the rice paddys before rice growing season. Truth or fiction?

Oh gosh, you guys got me hungry now!!

LOL

Happy cruising, Kathy

Mrs.B - I thought it was printed somewhere like that, too....but I'm looking at a menu. No (s) on this menu. I know the waiters usually say "shrimps"...:D

Day 1 - Sweet & Sour Shrimp

Day 2 - Ms Delta Prawns

Day 4 - Duet of Gratinated Mussels & Shrimp Provencale

Black Tiger Shrimp & Sliced Leeks

Day 6 - Grilled Black Tiger Jumbo Shrimp

Day 7 - Arrangement of Louisiana Tiger Prawns

Brenda - Like the song "Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans?" .... you need to get on back down here, girl!

Kathy - You can get crawfish dishes all year long (the restaurants use frozen crawfish) - but crawfish season begins in the spring.

Zy - At a crawfish boil, I do eat some of corn and potatoes, but when I order crawfish or just pick it up, I tell 'em to forget the other stuff....just give me my crawfish. By the pound, I don't want the frills weighing down the scales.:D

(might have been a Mississippi river prawn) and ...

Getting bak to this part, don't think i'd eat anything that came out of the Mississippi River, me! (at least nothing from the New Orleans area).

I've too, had dishes with a crawfish added for presentation, but it wasn't the main ingredient. Still delish.

How early does crawfish season start? We will be in LA in December, is that too early? I know that they "raise" crawfish in the rice paddys before rice growing season. Truth or fiction?

You should be able to find some in December, but it is the start, so they will be small(er).

True, crawfish and rice co-exist.

Zy - At a crawfish boil, I do eat some of corn and potatoes, but when I order crawfish or just pick it up, I tell 'em to forget the other stuff....just give me my crawfish. By the pound, I don't want the frills weighing down the scales.:D

hard for me to eat enough crawfish to fill up, so some corn and potatoes help.

Prawns, shrimp or scampi?

prawns.gif

A shrimp is a shrimp; a prawn is, well, a shrimp. The two words are used interchangeably in markets and restaurants everywhere. The textbooks may agree that a shrimp is a shrimp, but many people (and quite a few cookbooks) refer to this most popular of shellfish as a prawn.

Some people say the difference is size. In many parts of the country, small and medium shrimp are sold simply as shrimp, while large, extra-large, and jumbo shrimp are called prawns. Unfortunately, this "rule" doesn't always hold. In some areas, all shrimp, small and large, are sold as shrimp, while in other regions, all you'll find are prawns.

Purists may argue that the term "prawn" is reserved for the shrimp's close relative, the Dublin Bay prawn. The Dublin Bay prawn resembles a shrimp, but it's distinguished by its small pincer claws (similar to those on a lobster) and a narrower body. Sometimes called Florida or Caribbean lobsterettes or French langoustines, these shellfish can be hard to find in markets. And unlike shrimp, Dublin Bay prawns are usually cooked with their heads on. The claws make quite an attractive presentation, although they're too tiny to render any meat.

In Italy, Dublin Bay prawns are called scampi, which has confused North Americans even more. In Canada and the US, scampi refers to a dish of large shrimp that are cooked with garlic and butter or olive oil.

http://www.theepicentre.com/tip/shrimp.html

Mrs.B - I thought it was printed somewhere like that, too....but I'm looking at a menu. No (s) on this menu. I know the waiters usually say "shrimps"...:D

Day 1 - Sweet & Sour Shrimp

Day 2 - Ms Delta Prawns

Day 4 - Duet of Gratinated Mussels & Shrimp Provencale

Black Tiger Shrimp & Sliced Leeks

Day 6 - Grilled Black Tiger Jumbo Shrimp

Day 7 - Arrangement of Louisiana Tiger Prawns

We were talking about this last night and a relative said they'd changed the spelling at some point on the menus. Maybe due to questions about it?

They are good and whether a prawn is a shrimp or a whole different crustacean, I'll order both when they're on the menu. :D

Thanks for taking the time to look it up.

Ms B

Archived