Ferrari Museum from Ravenna

tgetz

We are going on a 13 day cruise around Italy and will spend 4 days in Rome before and one after. We have been to Italy several times and after awhile , I just can't see any more art or churches as they all seem to run together. I noticed our ship offers a tour from Ravenna to the Ferrari museum but we usually book private tours. I inquired about a private tour and both companies that responded, seemed to only offer a day long tour and the price becomes over 1500 US for one day for 4 people. I know the museum is almost two hours away, but does anyone know if when you get to the port there might be taxis willing to take you there or possibly a tour company offering such a trip. we don't need to see two museums in one day, or see the factories. we may have to opt for the ship excursion, but looking for some options.. thanks

We did a group bus share from Silhouette at Ravenna to Modena. I think we had around 14 or 16 people who split the 500 € cost so around 40 each. It is a fair distance but possible in a day. Some people also drove some cars from the place next door. The museum is a good experience.

This was all pre booked before we sailed. Don't know if you could just rent a taxi on the day.

I am sure that most of the taxis would be happy to take you all the way to the museum and wait. The price will be negotiable but an educated guess would be about 350 - 500 Euros. The cheaper alternative would be to simply rent a car (probably less then 100 Euros) and drive yourself.

Hank

I always forget about renting a car in another country. I will look into that for sure. Thanks... Or maybe I will see if anyone else on our roll call would be interested. Or maybe both... thanks for the great suggestions

• 1 month later...
We are going on a 13 day cruise around Italy and will spend 4 days in Rome before and one after. We have been to Italy several times and after awhile , I just can't see any more art or churches as they all seem to run together. I noticed our ship offers a tour from Ravenna to the Ferrari museum but we usually book private tours. I inquired about a private tour and both companies that responded, seemed to only offer a day long tour and the price becomes over 1500 US for one day for 4 people. I know the museum is almost two hours away, but does anyone know if when you get to the port there might be taxis willing to take you there or possibly a tour company offering such a trip. we don't need to see two museums in one day, or see the factories. we may have to opt for the ship excursion, but looking for some options.. thanks

I agree with you about the churches and museums, after you've seen a couple they all seem the same. We're renting a car from Hertz with Eurail vouchers that are around $100/day for an intermediate manual (if you can't do a manual transmission, then why look at a Ferrari) and heading to Ferrari from the Silhouette sailing on Aug 3. I have an up to date TomTom GPS.

Since you didn't specify your days, I don't know if you've gone yet or not. If you did how was it? Did you do the rental or a taxi. FWIW, I was in Spain and France in April this year and the taxis were willing to tour for around E40/hr for 2 pax, negotiate. I told them i just wanted to go to Hertz in Marseilles and the prices got negotiable.

In Livorno in April, Hertz was at the ship's dock. I paid E20 for that excellent time saving convenience and luckily as we only had minutes to spare.

Thanks for sharing . We are going on the November 18th cruise that stops in Ravenna, so you will be there before us. If you don't mind posting when you return, I would greatly appreciate it. We are doing a wine immersion cruise in September on Infinity that stops in France, Spain and Portugal. I have been warned not to attempt driving in France, but no one has issued any warnings about Spain. Several of our friends have driven rent cars in Spain before so we may do that but having a hard time finding locations close to some of our ports.

How luck we are to have this as a problem.... thanks for your input

Thanks for sharing . We are going on the November 18th cruise that stops in Ravenna, so you will be there before us. If you don't mind posting when you return, I would greatly appreciate it. We are doing a wine immersion cruise in September on Infinity that stops in France, Spain and Portugal. I have been warned not to attempt driving in France, but no one has issued any warnings about Spain. Several of our friends have driven rent cars in Spain before so we may do that but having a hard time finding locations close to some of our ports.

Now you have my interest. Am wondering why somebody warned you about driving in France. We have driven extensively in France and Italy (well over 10,000 miles) and actually find France to be an easy country to drive with the exception of its largest cities. Most experienced European drivers might warn about driving in Italy (I love to drive in Italy) but we do not normally hear of warnings about France. And by the way, the French do love speed cameras so if you do drive in France it is wise to obey the speed limits (especially on the fast Autostrada.)

Hank

I'll try to post a review of the Ferrari tour when we return. The museum posts how to get there and they mention a train/bus combo from Modena. http://museo.ferrari.com/museum/getting-here/

If you're stopping in Marseilles, the rental ageny is far (as is everything else from) the port. We planned to get a rental and we asked the taxi drive to take us. He countered with a tour of Provence for 5 hours for 200 eur. It was a great price as it included fuels and tolls. Having been to other towns in Povence previously, we chose Gordes and the taxi recommended Les Baux (deja vu when we got there). Also we drove by L'Isle sur-la Sorgue, absolutley wonderful and wish we stayed there. We didn't have to worry about parking as the taxi took us at the door of what we wanted to see.

I wouldn't worry about driving in France, drivers are usually courteous and patient, more so than Miami where they speed up to keep you from merging.

In Barcelona we were offered the same 40 eur price per hour so I am assuming this is a fair price you should stick to when negotiating a half-day tour. Although the meter may be running, they do this for local rules and are not charging you the meter fare.

Archived