Transportation in Bermuda

JD75

I've noticed when reading the threads regarding transportation that for such a small island it the driving times seem high from place to place. I think I remember someone saying it took 30 minutes by taxi and 1 hour by bus to get from St. George to Hamilton.

I know the bus would take longer due to the frequent stops, but are these driving times high due to heavy traffic or low speed limits?

Also, do the scooters drive in traffic with the cars or do they have to stay to the side of the road for cars to pass them?

Finally, by scooter, how long would it take to drive from St. George to the Dockyard?

Bermuda is a long and narrow island. St. Georges to Dockyard is a distance of about 20 miles. St. Georges to Hamilton is about 10 miles. Add narrow winding roads, lots of traffic, and a speed limit of 20mph (though in reality everyone goes 25-30) and there's your time. There are very few places in Bermuda where roads are wider then 2-lane so when you're driving you stuck going as fast as the slowest car ahead of you.

Scooters use the same road/lanes as cars. It is up to the driver of the car to pass you, you are not required to go to the side of the road just because a car wants to pass. Many tourists who aren't used to the scooters tend to drive slower and courteous ones will occasionnally pull over to let the backed-up traffic pass.

If I know I'm holding up traffic, I'd definately pull over to let them pass. The reason I ask is because in the U.S. a scooter has to be to the side of the road because they're much slower than the cars and the roads are obviously capable of higher speeds. I have a motorcycle license and I'm comfortable on 2 wheels, and I'd feel more comfortable being in traffic rather than having to hug the shoulder while every car passes me. I guess as long as the scooter can keep up with traffic it doesn't sound like it'd be much of a problem. I'm sure I will be unfamiliar with the roads and at times I'll have to pull over to check a map, etc.

The reason I ask is because in the U.S. a scooter has to be to the side of the road because they're much slower than the cars and the roads are obviously capable of higher speeds.

That's not a concern in Bermuda because the speed limit is so low. Since locals can drive faster scooters than tourists (rental scooters are, I think, typically 50cc while locals use 100cc +) you'll see locals on scooters passing cars, as opposed to the other way around. Tourists usually can't get their scooters to go fast enough to pass cars easily but even a tourist scooter can go fast enough to not hold up traffic.

Very Helpful... I keep reading horror stories about tourists and scooters, and if I was to "get used to driving" a scooter I wouldn't pick a place where for one they drive on the left and secondly they drive on narrow twisting roads. Since I have experience on scooters/motorcycles and I'll be in traffic rather than to the side of the road, I have no reservations about renting one for the week. The only thing that'll be new to me is driving on the left.. should be interesting:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Bermuda and on our 3rd day spent 8 hours at the hospital due to a mishap on my scooter. I was a lucky one with only 6 stitiches in my toe. So, my advice to you is make sure all scooter drivers have a good shoe (I was only wearing a beach shoe) make sure you are wearing good clothing to avoid road rash, and finally my son came up with this little slogan..."Left is life..Right to die" (to remember to drive on the left)

Archived