Upgrade?

Stoffel1982

Hi,

We'll be staying in a cat.6 balcony cabin, but I'm wondering what my chances would be for an upgrade to a more spacious cabin?

What should I do, wail until embarkation and ask?

Thanks!

When and where are you cruising and on what ship? If it's height of summer and the ship is full, then no chance of an upgrade at all. If it's at a quieter time and there are higher category cabins available, then maybe they may offer you an upgrade. MSC club passengers with high status will have priority for free upgrades, but you could be lucky.

We'll be cruising from 06/07/2013-13/07/2013. It really will be fine if we get the cabin we booked. The most important thing is that we'll have a balcony. I do hope there's at least a chair in the cabin :-)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We'll be cruising from 06/07/2013-13/07/2013. It really will be fine if we get the cabin we booked. The most important thing is that we'll have a balcony. I do hope there's at least a chair in the cabin :-)

You will have a chair, no room for a sofa. Upgrade chances minimal at best.

Yeah there will be a chair in the cabin and a couple and a small table on the balcony. I'd say you'd have very little chance of an upgrade in July. Ship is likely to be at full capacity.

The best way to maximise your chances of an upgrade is to aim low and be flexible! The more-modern the ship, the higher the proportion of cabins that have balconies. I get the impression that the relatively few insides are really there just to help market the cruise with the "fares from" tag line. On four out of four times I have booked an inside cabin on a guarantee basis I have received an upgrade to an outside ('ocean view' but not balcony) cabin.

Regardless of category, if you have booked a specific cabin, the chances are that you will only receive an offer of an upgrade if the line has overbooked on guarantees and even then it will be a paid-for upgrade. The rationale being that someone who has chosen a specific cabin is more likely to pay for an upgrade than someone who paid a much lower fare on a guarantee basis and expects a free upgrade anyway.

The rule to booking on a guarantee basis is to be satisfied even with the worst cabin within the category booked.

So, to answer the question, I agree with the others. If you have chosen a specific cabin in peak-season your chances of a free upgrade are practically zero.

Thanks for the info... Any pictures of the balcony or cabin?We don't need a large balcony, but I do hope we can sit outside and enjoy the sun...

Hi Stoffel1982, I'll be in a category 6 balcony room on the Preziosa right after you return from your trip. I have found it difficult to get much information on the category 6 balconies, especially pictures. Would love any feedback/pictures from you if you think of it upon your return! Many thanks in advance! I am completely happy that I chose category 6 - we don't plan to be in the room much and as long as we have a place to sleep and can actually sit on the balcony, I'm satisfied :) Just am eager to see what it will look like!

Hi Stoffel1982, I'll be in a category 6 balcony room on the Preziosa right after you return from your trip. I have found it difficult to get much information on the category 6 balconies, especially pictures. Would love any feedback/pictures from you if you think of it upon your return! Many thanks in advance! I am completely happy that I chose category 6 - we don't plan to be in the room much and as long as we have a place to sleep and can actually sit on the balcony, I'm satisfied :) Just am eager to see what it will look like!

Hi Juvesgirl, I know it's hard to find any information of those cabins so I will send you some pictures of our cabin :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived