Grenada - How are they doing?

suntan

Has anyone been to Grenada recently? I'm wondering how are they coming along with their reconstruction after the hurricanes of last year. I'm going to Grenada with Princess next Feb. Thank you.

We were one of the first ships back there in Feb. Absolutely LOVED IT! Although the evidence of the destruction was everywhere, the people were completely amazing! Hired a local to drive us around, he stayed with us for 3/4 of the day for 20 bucks a person (4 people) Walker was his name... He took us to the falls, the Grand E'tang Reserve and then to Grand Anse beach. As well as a great scenic drive! Showed us the local schools ( I am a teacher) and the whole area

Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

My heart is broken this morning to see that you have been slammed again by a hurricane. Last year, Mandoo, you took my family on a tour of your beautiful island. Although damage was horrific, your spirit and the spirits of your friends was so positive. We came home from Grenada having a new kinship with a wonderful group of folks we would have otherwise never known. Now that we know you...we suffer with you. Our home is on the eastern coast of North Carolina. We, too, have the storms. However, we've never suffered the devistation you did last year. I am hoping that this lastest storm was only a glancing blow and that you will all remain strong and recover quickly. I just wanted you to know that you are in our thoughts today.

Amen Mushroom,

We were fortunate enough to take a Mandoo tour in Sept 2004 and it was the highlight of the cruise.

To think the lovely island has again been smacked breaks my heart. Good luck Mandoo, here are a lot of people here that you have touched that have you and all of Grenada in their thoughts and prayers.

Pete

Has anyone heard how bad the damage is to Grenada from hurricane Emily? I saw that got hit pretty bad but hadn't seen anything in the past couple of days. How bad will it have to be for the cruise line to bypass this as a stop and go somewhere else? I understand they need the tourism money but I'm not really interested in touring devastation.

Josh

Grenada is doing fine, much of the damage caused by Ivan has been fixed though work is still ongoing.

Little further structural damage was caused by Emily in the south of the island in the area of St. George. Main damage was in the far north and the greatest area of loss was the banana plantation which were just cropping and have been flattened so it will take a further 9 months to get that industry up and running again.

The majority of activities for visitors are open for visitors as normal.

Lets change the question and ask how good is Grenada !!!

The answer is very good. the main damage was caused to the north of the island which is little visited by cruisers due to time restrictions. North suffered a certain amount of structural damage and the banana crop was unfortunately destroyed.

The southern tourist areas had very little damage to contend with, the main problem was the amount of rain. Everything in this area isnow back to the position as it was before Emily and work is still ongoing to repair the damage caused by Ivan

Beyond seeing tarpaulins still covering some roofs you will not be affected when you visit. The majority of the tourist sites have reopened as normal and your visit is awaited.

Fortunately Emily was only category One so didn't carry the same destructive power as Ivan and diverted further north at the last minute sparing Si. George and the tourist areas of the south of Grenada.

The north coast was not so lucky with some roofs being blown off, mudslides and some loss of trees. The banana farms were very badly hit just as the plants were cropping so it will take another 9 months or so to get crops back again.

Carriacou and Petit Martinique which make up the tri island state of Grenada were worst hit of all with 25% of buildings being damaged but much has already been repaired. The annual regatta will still be taking place next week which demonstrates the determination and pride of the people to overcome this advertisy.

I'm so glad someone came and posted that Grenada are 'okay'.

When I heard Emily was en route to her I was really saddened.

Such a shame over their banana plantations, but I guess that is better than human casualties.

I look forward to revisiting Grenada at the end of the year and hope that no more hurricanes hit her, or any other island. However, if they do I will still gladly explore her shores and spend my money in the small hope that it all helps.

Archived