Thinking about Altun Ha

dbpowell

Will be in Belieze in Dec and want rot take my son to some ruins. Thinking about Altun Ha since it is close and I can book through independent. What are you thoughts and suggestions for a guide. Thanks

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Here is a nice description of the differences between the 3 ruins offered by the cruiselines, I found in a thread in here.

Belize Mayan Ruins Comparison

This question about which ruins to see in Belize comes up frequently, thus it might be appropriate to settle this question. I have been studying Maya archeology, history, and culture off and on for about 20 years (just as an enthusiast, not as a professional) and have travelled to various Mayan sites many times, including the three sites in Belize to which the cruise lines sent their passengers. We have visited these three sites in November 2011. Several notes:

(1) The Ancient Maya have lived throughout the entire area of what is now Belize, and one can find archeological evidence everywhere. There are hundreds of sites of various archeological quality and significance throughout the whole country. Of these hundreds of sites, there are about 5 major sites in Belize: Altun Ha, Lamanai, Xunantunich, Caracol, and Lubaantun.

(2) When it comes to picking Ancient Maya sites for Belize, the cruise lines did an excellent jobs in selecting the appropriate ones. All three sites (i.e., Altun Ha, Lamanai, and Xunantunich) that the cruise ships picked are major sites for Belize. There are dozens of smaller sites that are just as close or closer to the ship, that the cruise lines have correctly ignored. This can’t be said for site selections in, for example, Cozumel, where the cruise lines offer excursions to even some third rate archeological sites, from which cruise passengers invariably come back disappointed.

(3) All three sites that cruise ship excursions visit in Belize have been partially excavated, and pyramids have been consolidated (i.e., rebuilt by archeologists).

You and your kids are able to climb pyramids and other structures on all three sites. A few portions of pyramids are off limits, but generally there are no official restrictions on climbing on structures.

This is not like Chichen Itza where climbing is forbidden, or Tulum, where everything is roped off and people are herded on crushed gravel walkways. Whether the excursion guides will allow you to do so (for liability reasons) is another question.

(4) The sizes of the three sites are comparable. All have multiple pyramids to climb. None of them are huge (like Chichen Itza or Copan or Tikal), and within a few hours you will see pretty much the whole site. It is also not so small like so many of the sites in Puuc Hills. I have no idea how long the excursion last, but guidebooks that specialize in visiting Mayan sites, and which I have found to have good estimates, recommend spending 1.5 hrs in Altun Ha, 2 hrs in Xunantunich, and 3 hrs in Lamanai.

(5) If you are looking to take photos of your family members or friends each standing on a different distant pyramid, then go to Altun Ha or Xunantunich. Specifically, if you are looking to put your friends on different pyramids across a wide field of view, then Altun Ha is best; if you are looking to put your friends on different structures in a row, then Xunantunich is best.

(6) If you are looking for an overgrowth of a jungle, then Lamanai is the best.

The pyramids in Altun Ha and Xunantunich are around plazas of lawn.

On the other hand walking between structures in Lamanai the paths generally wind through a jungle (except for one open plaza, P2). The nice thing about walking in a jungle is that you are walking in a shade. If you are visiting from a cruise ship, you will be visiting the site during the hottest part of the day, thus walking in a shade does make a big difference.

(7) If you are looking to climb a tall pyramid, go to Xunantunich or Lamanai. El Castillo (structure A-6) in Xunantunich measures 127 feet. El Castillo (structure N10-43) in Lamanai measures 108 feet. Though the Lamanai’s El Castillo is a little bit shorter than the one in Xunantunich, it appears higher from the ground, because you have to climb straight up holding onto a chain as you climb. El Castillo in Xunantunich is easier to climb for people who are afraid of heights. However, because of the vast grassy plaza in front of El Castillo in Xunantunich, when you are at the top, it does appear that you are significantly higher than from El Castillo in Lamanai which is most surrounded by treetops. (The tallest pyramid in Altun Ha is Temple of the Masonry Altars with 59 feet).

(8) If you want to include in your excursion a visit to unconsolidated and overgrown structures where tourists generally do not wander, where your kids can feel like Indiana Jones, and where you can see how the structures looked like before archeologists consolidated them, then go to Xunantunich or Lamanai. In Xunantunich there is a path leading westward from the southern edge of the ball court for about 500 feet to about 7 structure of “middle class residences” called “Group B”. In Lamanai there is a path heading further north from the Mask Temple looping around a huge unexcavated, unconsolidated “Structure P9-25” (it is about 90x110 meters, reaching heights of 28 meters, making the most massive structure in Lamanai). Note that P9-25 is not on most tour books (except for Lonely Planet) and not on maps posted on the bulletin boards at the entrance to the site. It will take more time to go off to hike to P9-25 in Lamanai, then to hike to Group B in Xunantunich.

(9) If you are looking for the best way of getting to the site, go to Lamanai. All or a portion of the trip to Lamanai is on a speedboat on a river. This is generally the preferred way of getting to Lamanai. You’ll see monkeys getting into the boat, and you’ll see crocodiles, etc.

(10) If you are looking for the closest site to Belize City, go to Altun Ha. However, about half of the road from Belize City to the turn off to Altun Ha is on an old potholed road.

(11) The road from Belize City to Xunantunich, is fast, goes through a picturesque country, but it is a long drive. You are essentially going across the whole country, almost into Guatemala.

In summary, I don’t think that you can go wrong with either Lamanai, or Xunantunich, or Altun Ha; all have plusses and minuses, all are very good sites, but none is a world-class site. I hope that this has helped.

Hope that helps a bit.

Will be in Belieze in Dec and want rot take my son to some ruins. Thinking about Altun Ha since it is close and I can book through independent. What are you thoughts and suggestions for a guide. Thanks

Yes, I think that doing this through an independent guide is fine.

Alternatively, you can just catch a taxi to Goldson Airport, rent a car (across the parking lot from the terminal) there, and drive up to Altun Ha. There are usually some people hanging around the entrance offering their services as a guide.

Yes, bguppies, thanks for keeping the comparison alive. I don’t post here as often as previously, so I am glad that people still find it useful. :)

No thank you...

I almost did a carwheel after finding such a well written description of the pros and cons of the 3 main sites...

It was so good I saved it into word, in case I couldn't find that thread again.

It helped us immensely.

Just happy to pass on the info.

Bill

Thanks for the detailed reviews of the 3 sites. Now I am think value for the time and cost of the tours. this is the first trip so need some insight, we are 60+ no kids... The 3 tours on the Dream for October are...

Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace 5 hours, $85.99 includes the river boat ride, stop for you to "buy Lunch" do some shopping, a tour of the Ruins and bus back to port.

Xunantunich Mayan Ruins with Lunch 7 hours, all bus ride, tour of the Ruins $89.99 and back to port

Altun Ha & Belize City Tour 4.5 hours, all on a bus no lunch, tour of the Ruins and back to the port $59.99.

The diffencence in the Altun tours is the boat ride and short shopping stop is it worth the extra $26 pp?

Thanks.

Thanks for the detailed reviews of the 3 sites. Now I am think value for the time and cost of the tours. this is the first trip so need some insight, we are 60+ no kids... The 3 tours on the Dream for October are...

Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace 5 hours, $85.99 includes the river boat ride, stop for you to "buy Lunch" do some shopping, a tour of the Ruins and bus back to port.

Xunantunich Mayan Ruins with Lunch 7 hours, all bus ride, tour of the Ruins $89.99 and back to port

Altun Ha & Belize City Tour 4.5 hours, all on a bus no lunch, tour of the Ruins and back to the port $59.99.

The diffencence in the Altun tours is the boat ride and short shopping stop is it worth the extra $26 pp?

Thanks.

Are you planning on climbing the ruins or just looking?

Do you mind looooong bumpy bus rides? This would apply to Xunantunich, on the other side of the country.

Do you do well in extreme heat and direct sun or prefer shade (but still hot)? You would want to find out if either of the two involving boat rides, have a cover over the boat. (I know for sure at least one of them does not.)

Also Lamanai is covered by jungle, which would always be my choice anywhere in the Yucatan region. (shade is my best friend there)

Are you sure that Carnival doesn't have a Lamanai and river tour???

Those I think would be the primary considerations if you don't have any mobility issues.

Bill

Great descriptions of all 3 Mayan ruins.

We will also be going to Costa Maya and were planning on visiting Chacchoben Mayan ruins. How do you think these compare?

Cheers!

Same goes for Cozumel...many cruises include Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel...all have ruins...I think the transportation time from Cozumel to the ruins may be prohibitive..do you agree? or is the quality of those ruins (Tulum?) so much better that it is worth it?

Thank you so much for all your help! Lauri

Are you planning on climbing the ruins or just looking? Climbing

Do you mind looooong bumpy bus rides? This would apply to Xunantunich, on the other side of the country. not if I can avoid a long bus ride

Do you do well in extreme heat and direct sun or prefer shade (but still hot)? i do OK in the heat but some shade would be nice.You would want to find out if either of the two involving boat rides, have a cover over the boat. (I know for sure at least one of them does not.)looking at both websites neither have a cover

Also Lamanai is covered by jungle, which would always be my choice anywhere in the Yucatan region. (shade is my best friend there) shade is your friend

Are you sure that Carnival doesn't have a Lamanai and river tour??? yes, they stopped this one a while back, only a private company does it and there is very little review about it.

Those I think would be the primary considerations if you don't have any mobility issues. thanks for the input.

Bill

Thanks for you knowledge and input.

Thanks for you knowledge and input.

Researched these years ago for DW and I.

Then have been trying do follow up for any recent changes for my Brother's family on our next cruise.

The port boards move so slowly. Glad to throw any info I have picked up in my research to save time for others.

Bill

Thank you, thank you for the great info! We had been leaning towards Lamanai with Belize Cruise Excursions, and think we will pursue that path.

If you are on the Dream like us you will be in port like 9 hours total and the Lamanai with Belize Cruise Excursions is 6 hours not counting the 30 mintues each way on the tender... makes it a close call if there is any kind of hangup, flat tire, or whatever. Booking with the cruise ship they WELL WAIT for you to get back. Carnival no longer does the Lamanai tour... but they do have something like it to Altun Ha with the river boat ride...just saying.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going on the Liberty in the next few weeks and was looking at the tours in Belize. Should I book the Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace via Carnival or do you think an independent will be cheaper? What is the independent price for Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace? I see on Carnival.com it is 89.99 per person....wondering if this tour is cutting it close to cruise departure.

I am going to take the Belize Altun Ha Mayan City and Jungle River Wallace Excursion I just don't know if it should be with Carnival Cruise Lines or this company ShoreExcursioneer. ShoreExcursioneer tells me that they are the ONLY Company that Carnival uses for this tour. If I go with them and they are the ONLY company then booking with them saves me $20 pp if they are not then I might feel like a fool.

My question is does anyone know the name of the company that Carnival uses for this tour??????

This is from their website:

Belize Adventure Excursion Combo, Jungle River and Altun Ha Mayan Ruins!

This Shore Excursioneer Excursion is available to all Cruise Line Passengers and Hotel, Vacation Home, Resort, etc. Guests, unless specified otherwise under "Restrictions".

*** NOTE: Due to operator's contracts, this excursion is available to passengers from Carnival Cruise Line only . ***

*** NOTE: Until further notice, this excursion is not available for ships calling to Belize on Wednesdays, thank you for your understanding. ***

After a short tender ride from your ship to Belize City port, you will board a motor boat for an adventurous boat ride, taking you several miles inland to Burrell Boom village riding on the scenic Olde Belize Jungle River. En route you may see iguanas, several varieties of birds, crocodiles and troops of Howler Monkeys. At Burrell Boom, a quaint settlement on the riverbank, you will be served a tasty local lunch with refreshments at The Olde River Tavern, located on the bank of the Olde Belize River. You will then board

Do you think this makes it real???????????????

Hmm saw this on another thread....not too sure about going independent...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1842389&highlight=river+wallace

Our group did this excursion in early March while on the Carnival Fantasy. We booked through Carnival because we knew the ship would wait for us if something went wrong and we were late. So glad we did because although the excursion was really fun and educational, the boat that took us down the river lost a prop so another small boat had to bring us one making us late for the stop at the resort where we had lunch and caught the bus that took us on to Altun Ha. Had to make that a short stop due to the the time factors and wouldn't you know it on the way back to port, smoke started pouring up under my husband's feet. The driver stopped to check it out and found a broken support which was causing the bus to rub on the tire causing smoke. Had to sit and wait for another bus to come from Belize City to get us back to the port where they hustled us onto the fastest tender boat they had as the ship had been waiting for us for over an hour. Everyone was kind and apologetic about the situation but had we booked through a private company we would have been paying out of pocket to get to the next port. The tour guide explained to us that most of the vehicles in Belize are purchased used at auction in the US and driven back through Mexico and Central America to Belize. They are old and extremely well worn so break downs are common.

IF you do decide to go with a private company on an excursion that takes all day, be prepared.

I'd be reluctant in Belize to not book any excursion through the ship. (this is the only port, I generally wouldn't book independantly)

I know some of the zip line and cave tubing excursions are shorter, so not as risky as the longer Mayan Ruin excursions.

But like was stated, unless I knew for fact, that the independant company was running busses or vans that are only a few years old (which most don't)

with the state of the roads and the state of most of the vehicles, it is a dodgy proposition.

At least Belize is rarely the final stop on any itineraries, so if anything did happen, you would just have to hire somebody to drive you up into Mexico or fly/boat to Roatan or Grand Cayman.

Bill

Regardless of where you choose, bring bug spray as the mosquitos are terrible! We took a can with us and our entire bus was begging to use it during out excursion to altun ha.

This give me an idea on how to cover the cost of this trip....:D bring extra bugg spray and sell it to the others for $10 a squirt....:eek:

Anyway we are also doing the Altun Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace tour in October as a Carnival tour. Even with 10 hours in port this is suppose to be a 7 hour tour using a bus and boat so there could be mechanical problems and I for one would like to see the ship still waiting for me when we get back to the dock...:D and NO RUNNING.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Altan Ha/River Wallace tour through Carnival just this last Spring. DD (14) and DS (17) did not want to go, but were so glad that they did. This tour was the highlight of our cruise. DS, who is a history buff, especially enjoyed the tour and still talks about it. I have no reservations at all recommending this one!

• 2 weeks later...

Question maybe bguppies can answer...When I did Altun Ha/River Wallace tour w/Carnival I saw only one pyramid on one end and much smaller partial ruins and grass covered ruins kind of in the shape of an L. Wasn't much to it. What you seems to describe was much more than that.

I didn't think it was much to see. What was I missing?

Archived