After Dinner Coffee

Billthekid

We were on the Veendam last month. For the first time for me out of more than 25 cruises, one of the ship's officers and his wife joined our table for dinner. It was the second formal night and the officer we got was the ship's doctor. He said that HAL likes for the officers to join various tables on the formal nights. And HAL provided the wine for the table, which was a very nice touch.

The cruise director was very social, but we did not see much of the ship's officers about the ship.

As for the charge for specialty coffees, we got to used to that 10 years ago when Princess started charging for them. It was nice previously that they were included--and it would be nice to still have them included. But of all the nickel-and-dime things to complain about, the top on my list would be the increase in the corkage fee. Sure it's nice to be able to bring on a few bottles of wine and enjoy it in the dining room, but paying $18 for corkage is nuts.

I bolded this statement as I would like to know what you think is reasonable..HAL permits you to bring any amount of wine on board to be consumed in your cabin..No corkage fee unless you take it to the MDR..then charge only $18 for those brought to the MDR

Celeberty only permits you to bring two bottles per cabin on board & charges a $25. corkage fee in the MDR..Oceania charges a $20 corkage fee in the MDR..

Princess only charges $15.00 but they charge you on every bottle of wine at checkin which you bring on board even if you only drink it in your cabin..

IMO HAL's $18.00 corkage fee is reasonable compared to some of the other lines..After all they are a for profit company & sell bottles in of wine..

cheers...:)Betty

[/b]

I bolded this statement as I would like to know what you think is reasonable..HAL permits you to bring any amount of wine on board to be consumed in your cabin..No corkage fee unless you take it to the MDR..then charge only $18 for those brought to the MDR

Celeberty only permits you to bring two bottles per cabin on board & charges a $25. corkage fee in the MDR..Oceania charges a $20 corkage fee in the MDR..

Princess only charges $15.00 but they charge you on every bottle of wine at checkin which you bring on board even if you only drink it in your cabin..

IMO HAL's $18.00 corkage fee is reasonable compared to some of the other lines..After all they are a for profit company & sell bottles in of wine..

cheers...:)Betty

We cruise very frequently with Princess, and have NEVER had them charge us for wine at check in!:confused: We bring quite a lot of wine for consumption both in our room--- and for the dining room, where they charge $15 corkage fee. We will now be paying HAL corkage fee of $18, which is fine, because we still like to bring our own wine!

We cruise very frequently with Princess, and have NEVER had them charge us for wine at check in!:confused: We bring quite a lot of wine for consumption both in our room--- and for the dining room, where they charge $15 corkage fee. We will now be paying HAL corkage fee of $18, which is fine, because we still like to bring our own wine!

Could this be new to Princess...I read the princess board before posting the above..I went to the board & put in the search engine "Corkage Fee & several threads came up..One was "Brought Wine Onboard star" ]Unfortunately I can't do a copy & paste as my mouse will not copy the URL..I don't understand why but that also happened to me last week..

You might want to read Post No. 1, No. 2 on that thread...

But both posters state they were charged the corkage fee at embarkation for their 7 bottles & another 9 bottles of wine..

Also in Post No. 12 this Psgr copied from a luggage tag which states: :

One 750ml bottle of wine or champagne (sic) per adult per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

• Additional wine or champagne [sic] bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee per bottle irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

Looks to me that others have been charged corkage at embarkation also..

Cheers...Betty

P.S...Found the URL a different way: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1855971

Looks like this is a new policy on Princess..But one poster even admitted to taking a glass with her to the MDR..No wonder Princess is charging up front..

I wouldn't mind paying the corkage fee but we don't carry that much with us..We usually end up purchasing the wine packages..

Cheers...:)Betty

Agree with you Bill! HAL should figure up how much all these petty trifling little items cost. If the Noordam sails with 2000 passengers and they charge 5 bucks more each, that's 10 grand. (I've got our ten bucks right here.)

And that ought to cover everything you mentioned and some GOOD coffee as well.:)

Floor mats ... really?:confused::confused:

They probably cost less than a dollar. Remember, a lot of us don't drink specialty (or any) coffee after dinner.

Archived