After Dinner Coffee

Billthekid

Just got off the Noordam Mediterranean 22 day cruise. So many changes have taken place since our last cruise June 2012. Little things like day of the week mats in the elevators are now gone. It was probably the same pad for the whole 22 days. Discount drink cards, gone. Race for the cure gone, black and white ball, gone. Popcorn in the movies, gone. Same tiles year after year, still there. Officers socializing, gone. But the thing that got me the most is charging for cappuccino and espresso after dinner. Coffee and tea are still complimentary, but I assume they will be next. The Lido does not serve it. It is the small nickel and dimeing that gets to me. Just like the airlines with all their fees which nobody likes. The Symbol of Excellence is really getting tarnished. In the Pinnacle and Italian restaurant they are still free after dinner. At the Mariners Lunch they are free. In the Explorer Lounge, I can get my coffee half price as a 4 star mariner, but not in the dinning room. I gave up on the airlines and probably give up on Holland also. It just really irritates me. I guess they will be charging for desserts next. I am writing a letter to Holland expressing my total dislike for this nominal fee ($1.75) they are charging for something that was so enjoyable previously. The worse part is the cappuccino taste like diluted water. I think others should write a letter also, if they agree with me. Or get ready for additional minor fees showing up like for room service, dessert, ice cream, tender service, etc.

As a loyal HAL cruiser for some years I echo your sentiments. As regards the coffee, I have always found the coffee to be uniformly awful. As such, I usually wait until in port to purchase a decent cup-0-joe.

I am very dissapointed in the new policy re..charging for cappacino etc in

the mdr. This is one of the little perks I really enjoyed (double-shot in mine, please).

Some folks have mentioned they no longer serve 'real' maple syrup..instead some artiifical bilge...now no decent coffee....oh boy.....

Agree with you Bill! HAL should figure up how much all these petty trifling little items cost. If the Noordam sails with 2000 passengers and they charge 5 bucks more each, that's 10 grand. (I've got our ten bucks right here.)

And that ought to cover everything you mentioned and some GOOD coffee as well.:)

Floor mats ... really?:confused::confused:

Just got off the Noordam Mediterranean 22 day cruise. So many changes have taken place since our last cruise June 2012. Little things like day of the week mats in the elevators are now gone. It was probably the same pad for the whole 22 days. Discount drink cards, gone. Race for the cure gone, black and white ball, gone. Popcorn in the movies, gone. Same tiles year after year, still there. Officers socializing, gone. But the thing that got me the most is charging for cappuccino and espresso after dinner. Coffee and tea are still complimentary, but I assume they will be next. The Lido does not serve it. It is the small nickel and dimeing that gets to me. Just like the airlines with all their fees which nobody likes. The Symbol of Excellence is really getting tarnished. In the Pinnacle and Italian restaurant they are still free after dinner. At the Mariners Lunch they are free. In the Explorer Lounge, I can get my coffee half price as a 4 star mariner, but not in the dinning room. I gave up on the airlines and probably give up on Holland also. It just really irritates me. I guess they will be charging for desserts next. I am writing a letter to Holland expressing my total dislike for this nominal fee ($1.75) they are charging for something that was so enjoyable previously. The worse part is the cappuccino taste like diluted water. I think others should write a letter also, if they agree with me. Or get ready for additional minor fees showing up like for room service, dessert, ice cream, tender service, etc.

Thanks for the information, does not bode well for Hal.

Oh no! We had in on Prinsendam in January. Is this fleetwide or just Noordam since it doesn't have a movie theatre?

We had plenty of popcorn on the Maasdam three weeks ago.

But I don't recall having the Walk for the Cause. Perhaps I missed it???

Thanks for reporting all these changes on HAL during your cruise.

I wonder how many of these things are specific to certain ships or Captains, or Hotel Managers or Cruise Directors?

You are not the first to report some of these changes, HOWEVER, after my 23 day April/May experience on the Statendam I wrote a FACT based report of MY experience. (I seperate fact reports for my experience from opinion or more subjective reports for things like coffee or food. Living in Coffee Land (northwest) I know how deeply folks differ on what the best and worst coffees are, which I call personal preference, not fact.

Anyhow, as I reported on my cruise:

We had the day of the week mats in each elevator, changed each day.

Officers socialized frequently in the evening, at special events, for formal diners, dances, etc. A number of them came to our CC Meet and Greet.

It was announced that for that cruise the traditional Black and White Ball was being replaced with the Orange Ball. Orange???? Well, it was the evening of big events in the Netherlands and Orange is their color. It was the day that the Queen abdicated and the Prince was crowned King.

There was a lot of fresh popcorn each time movies were shown.

I did notice the "race for the cure" was not held. I do not know about maple syrup or drink cards as I would not be using either of them. Sorry I did not check on them though.

So, while I would NOT say that things are like "the good old days", many of the things you found to be missing on your cruise are NOT missing on all cruises. Maybe most, maybe some, maybe a few, don't know.

Since some of the things you reported as missing were also reported as missing by some others and the things I found to still be on my cruise were also reported to be there by others - how much does the specific ship matter?

I am not a HAL cheerleader, just a person that does not like to see "broad brush" statements applied to a group of people, a company or an organization based on one experience. I am sure your experience and statements are totally valid for YOUR cruise and the ship - not questioning this. Just commenting on the implied assumption that this is happening on all the ships.

Did have the day of the week mats on Maasdam a few weeks ago. I always look as I think it is so cute and I am sure practical on longer voyages. But yes, after dinner fancy coffee was pay. I only did it in the Pinnacle as it was included. Got my fancy coffee at the coffee bar as I can get my discount. I do dislike nickel and diming. Would rather pay a bit more.

Some folks have mentioned they no longer serve 'real' maple syrup..instead some artiifical bilge...now no decent coffee....oh boy.....

I had wondered about that. The syrup this cruise was definitely not maple. I would happily pay a few bucks more on my fare for real maple syrup. That other stuff is hardly edible.

We were on the Maasdam in May. The day of the week mats were in each elevator (I take a picture each morning, that's how I separate the pictures for my photo album). There seemed to be plenty of popcorn outside the theater. I have never seen the black and white ball. On Deck for the Cure was not held. Times change. We don't always like the change.

Terry

Was your cruise a Collector's Cruise -- 2 eleven day cruises? If so -- we have never had a Black and White Ball on short cruises like that. We did have one on our 20 Westerdam cruise in March/April.

Yes they were charging for the speciality coffees in the dining room for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Dining room Coffee

Cappucino - $1.75

Espresso -- $1.25

Extra Shot - $0.50

Still had popcorn for the movies -- shown in the Queen's Lounge as the Westerdam does not have a dedicated movie theater.

No walk for the Cure on our cruise.

We rarely see officers on any cruise the last number of years socializing. We seem to see them only when there is a Black and White Ball on the longer cruises.

I could care less if the mats in the elevators have the days of week on them. I am on a cruise and don't care what day it is.

On Deck for the Cure has not been held in quite some time. HAL dropped Susan G. Komen due to the investigation and scandal with planned parenthood IIRC.

HAL made a big announcement about "On Deck For The Cause" (<--- note the difference) a while back. Funds were to be sent to the American Cancer Society, as well as cancer societies in several other countries, including Canada.

I think it is this Walk For The Cause that is being referred to when posters use the old name. Neither was held on my recent cruise.

How long will we still be surprised by increasing costs on board?

Look around; food prices in general keep on climbing, so is cost of fuel and labor costs, so in general, costs of running anything these days, let alone a cruise line, is going up. And we still expect our cruise to cost as much as we paid a year or even years ago. Sure, Carnival is still making a profit, but since this operation is no charity, that is what they do, otherwise stockholders will hold them responsible. When you go to work at home, you probably still expect to get paid by your boss, in a company that, no surprise, is also working for a profit, probably gradually raising its prices to stay on top and also continuing to be profitable. Looking around the board, Holland America is no exception in the business, trying to gain here and there. Maybe if they made other choices, guess other people would be up in the curtains.

Bottom-line I guess, only staying at home is cheap(er), but not as much fun as your next cruise.

I do not want to offend anybody, just wanted to get this of my chest. :o

How long will we still be surprised by increasing costs on board?

Look around; food prices in general keep on climbing, so is cost of fuel and labor costs, so in general, costs of running anything these days, let alone a cruise line, is going up. And we still expect our cruise to cost as much as we paid a year or even years ago. Sure, Carnival is still making a profit, but since this operation is no charity, that is what they do, otherwise stockholders will hold them responsible. When you go to work at home, you probably still expect to get paid by your boss, in a company that, no surprise, is also working for a profit, probably gradually raising its prices to stay on top and also continuing to be profitable. Looking around the board, Holland America is no exception in the business, trying to gain here and there. Maybe if they made other choices, guess other people would be up in the curtains.

Bottom-line I guess, only staying at home is cheap(er), but not as much fun as your next cruise.

I do not want to offend anybody, just wanted to get this of my chest. :o

I don't think anyone would disagree with your premise but its the methods; i.e. "nickle and diming", that annoy most people. I would much prefer HAL tack another $20 onto the price of the cruise and maintain the amenities they are known for.

I don't think anyone would disagree with your premise but its the methods; i.e. "nickle and diming", that annoy most people. I would much prefer HAL tack another $20 onto the price of the cruise and maintain the amenities they are known for.

I agree. It's the same way with the airlines. Raise the price and let me check and/or carry on luggage:(

Terry

We just got back from our cruise on the Prinsendam.

I think some of this stuff MUST vary from ship to ship or hotel director/manager.

In any case, on our cruise we DID have popcorn for the movies.

We did have days of the week in the elevator and we did have the "onboard for the cure" (or whatever the name is now). By the way I like it better as the $$ goes to different places who put the money to good use.

We did have our black & white night.

Yes, there was a charge for the cappuccion/expresso in the MDR. We didn't really see it as a biggie however I did hear some suites complaining about being nickled and dimed since they could get it free in the Neptune Lounge. they didn't think they should be charged for it.

Along with that we had some innovative bbq's on the Lido (weather permitting), food to match the ports and some wonderful buffets in the MDR at lunch time:D

thankfully, the Elegant Explorer still had a lot of the little 'touches' that we enjoy on HAL:D

edited to say - and yes, we got the new Mariner tiles that were created by Stephen Card. The Elegant Explorer has her own and we are pleased to have them.

Don't remember those mats on the Vistas. Only older ships. I do like them specially if you are sailing more than a week. Can't remember which day it is.

HAL is running a business. They are trying to keep their price competitive with other lines so they are nickel and diming. I don't think specialty coffees are expensive compared to land shops. Starbucks just went up 10 percent! I still can't understand how people who put 4 pks of sugar and 1/4 of cream can tell if actual coffee is good or bad.

Popcorn probably is getting expensive though due to the drought. A sign of the times.

Was your cruise a Collector's Cruise -- 2 eleven day cruises? If so -- we have never had a Black and White Ball on short cruises like that. We did have one on our 20 Westerdam cruise in March/April.

Yes they were charging for the speciality coffees in the dining room for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Dining room Coffee

Cappucino - $1.75

Espresso -- $1.25

Extra Shot - $0.50

Still had popcorn for the movies -- shown in the Queen's Lounge as the Westerdam does not have a dedicated movie theater.

No walk for the Cure on our cruise.

We rarely see officers on any cruise the last number of years socializing. We seem to see them only when there is a Black and White Ball on the longer cruises.

I could care less if the mats in the elevators have the days of week on them. I am on a cruise and don't care what day it is.

It was a collector cruise and our segment was 22 days from Athens to Barcelona. The ship was in Code Red from the time we got on until 4-5 days out of Rome because of the Novis Virus stuck the ship after Port Said Egypt. So there was little contact between Crew and Passengers. When we got to Rome the had everybody get off the ship for a complete clean up. Those who did not have an excursion was given on to Rome by bus and others received $40 each, but you had to get off the ship. Now that may have contributed to the lack of interaction between officers and passengers. But, what I heard from a bar tender and the ships doctor was there was a no tolerance policy present. Probably because of the Costa Captain's actions. Random drug testing was taking place and anyone with a blood level of over 0.4 was left off the ship to fend for themselves at the next port. The Code Red and the no tolerance policy is probably why there was no Black and White Ball. At the meet and greet cocktail sessions, never saw an officer with a drink in their hand. At evening events there was never an officer to be seen. Very few passengers were at any of the lounges. Only observed 3-5 individuals at any of the lounges after 9:00PM.

And I too could care less about the days of the week but it always was a conversation started when you got on the elevators and just one more thing being eliminated from the cruise experience.

Since the Noordam does not have a dedicated movie theater they probably don't have a popcorn machine, but I have never seen a popcorn machine at any of the movie theaters just small little bags of popcorn that came from the kitchen.

I couldn’t agree more, but most people shop around for budget prices and psychologically proven, prices of for instance 499,- or 599,- always draw more attention than 520,- or 620,-

Lets hope that HAL does not start charging for Ice Cream like PCL!!!

Lets hope on the new build they keep the things that make HAL unique...

In the words of Alexander Pope, "Hope springs eternal in the human breast."

We were on the Veendam last month. For the first time for me out of more than 25 cruises, one of the ship's officers and his wife joined our table for dinner. It was the second formal night and the officer we got was the ship's doctor. He said that HAL likes for the officers to join various tables on the formal nights. And HAL provided the wine for the table, which was a very nice touch.

The cruise director was very social, but we did not see much of the ship's officers about the ship.

As for the charge for specialty coffees, we got to used to that 10 years ago when Princess started charging for them. It was nice previously that they were included--and it would be nice to still have them included. But of all the nickel-and-dime things to complain about, the top on my list would be the increase in the corkage fee. Sure it's nice to be able to bring on a few bottles of wine and enjoy it in the dining room, but paying $18 for corkage is nuts.

Archived