Queen Victoria - Cabin Number 4.001

Cruachan

In 2012 we sailed on QV on her Black Sea and Turkish Splendours Cruise departing Soton on 13 September. It's nearly a year since I did this cruise and I have no intention of writing a full review. In any case, my rapidly failing memory prevents me adding anything of significance to what I have already said about Cunard within these hallowed halls. However, I did want to say a few words about our cabin for the benefit of any future occupants. We were in 4.001 which is the furthest forward cabin on the starboard side of Four Deck. I had read a few horror stories about this cabin before we sailed, the most significant of which was that it was noisy. The main source of noise was reported to have been a crew "recreation" area that was situated forward of the cabin and accessed through a door in the corridor. In the event, during the course of this 21 night cruise, we experienced no noise from this area whatsoever. The access door in the corridor, unlike those on decks six and seven is a sliding door and cannot slam so there was no noise from the door either. Also, despite the fact that the cabin is more or less right above the Royal Court Theatre there wasn't the slightest hint of noise from that area either.

That said, the cabin can be noisy but not through any fault of the crew or the theatre. On the first night out from Soton we encountered a few lumps in the Channel and there was quite a bit of "slap" against the bows of the ship. Under normal circumstances, this would have been loud enough to keep me awake had it not been for the fact that I had had a busy day, so after a relatively short period of wakefulness I slept very well indeed. Strangely, this noise seems to occur only in a pretty narrow band of sea conditions. On the way back, as we headed north through the Bay, we encountered some quite rough conditions with gale warnings for Biscay and the surrounding sea areas. Despite the sea state there was no noise at all. So, I suspect that the "slap" occurs when the waves are of relatively low amplitude but with a steep "face" - the type of thing that you get in a wind-against-tide situation.

The cabin itself is of standard layout, with the same furnishings, bathroom and storage facilities as the other Britannia balcony cabins. However there are some differences with the balcony itself. Unlike the majority of the other outside cabins, which have plexi glass fronts, 4.001 and a number of others astern of it, have metal fronts. So, if you are sitting or lying on the bed, you will have no sea view. It's probably worth noting that it is not a "hull balcony" or "sheltered balcony" of the type found on QM2 - instead, it's just like a regular balcony but with a metal front. 4.001 is unique in one respect - the area of the balcony is reduced somewhat by the way the hull tapers inward toward the bow. Some would no doubt consider this a disadvantage but, as an ardent ship photographer, I was very pleased with this characteristic as it afforded a limited view over the bow of the ship. The structure of the metal balcony front also provides a handy "shelf" for my binoculars, scanner, and other bits and pieces of photographic gear.

So, all in all, I was well pleased with a cabin that had caused me some worry before we boarded. One other thing though - if your mobility is in any way restricted you may have some difficulty coping with the long hike to the Britannia Dining Room - the corridors on Four Deck are among the longest on the ship with no chance of having a seat and a breather half way along. The best bet would probably be to take the nearest lift and go down to Two Deck and walk aft through the Queens Room where there is plenty seating.

Finally, if anyone is interested, I have put my "non ship related" photos from the cruise on my website. This is a somewhat "unfinished" gallery - there's little in the way of captions but the photos are titled so it's possible to work out where most of them were taken. And, ok, I confess that things are still a little bit "shippy" but, if you want to have a look you'll find the photos here:

http://www.shipworld.org/2012-cruise/

J

I enjoyed reading your report. The photos are wonderful. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive response, it is most welcome.

Of course, for an authoritative review of the photos I will need to wait until that Art Critic Extraordinaire, Sir Martin, chances to find the link :eek::D

J

Of course, for an authoritative review of the photos I will need to wait until that Art Critic Extraordinaire, Sir Martin, chances to find the link :eek::D

J

I am patiently waiting for post 10:D. Hopefully the American/Australian overnight shift will oblige.

Sir Martin

Thank you for the positive response, it is most welcome.

J

Very interesting photos of QV, which I haven't sail yet) You give "sense of ship"

I am patiently waiting for post 10:D. Hopefully the American/Australian overnight shift will oblige.

Sir Martin

One antipodean acknowledges your wonderful photographic abilities and further states that the photo of the Turkish State Yacht is fascinating. (Post 6)

Wonderful, excellent photographs, as yours always are, a joy to see :) .

Thank you for taking the time to take, and then share them :) .

They truly are superb... I'm looking at them as I type.

Thank you again :) (please ignore any "clever" comments about them by That Cat, what do cats know about skill with a camera anyway? :D )

Sincere best wishes,

Sir Martin

Oh don't be such a stuff old stick in the mud traditionalist. It's my thread - let the games commence :cool:

J

Wonderful, excellent photographs, as yours always are, a joy to see :) .

Thank you for taking the time to take, and then share them :) .

They truly are superb... I'm looking at them as I type.

Thank you again :) (please ignore any "clever" comments about them by That Cat, what do cats know about skill with a camera anyway? :D )

Sincere best wishes,

Thank you Pepper.

I've heard that the cat has access to some terrific photographic equipment where he is. The Hades D666 is rumoured to be a particularly effective DSLR. Among other features it's guaranteed totally heat resistant up to 3,000ºC

J

I hate to be be #10 (no idea what That Cat will do to me) but I enjoyed your review, your pictures and your website. Before Cunard regraded the staterooms, 4001 (only on the QE) was the one I was going to choose for my next cruise.

I hate to be be #10 (no idea what That Cat will do to me) but I enjoyed your review, your pictures and your website. Before Cunard regraded the staterooms, 4001 (only on the QE) was the one I was going to choose for my next cruise.

Don't worry about the cat - he is merely conforming to an old tradition around these parts that thread drift can only commence after the 10th post on the thread!

I have to say that I enjoyed 4.001 - mostly because in these days of completely standardised cabins, it was just that little bit different. In September we are moving "upstairs" to 6.001 which is one of the adapted cabins and, compared with what we are used to, looks to be absolutely enormous. I will, of course, report back on that one in early October and I'll be sure to include a couple of snaps.

J

I will, of course, report back on that one in early October and I'll be sure to include a couple of snaps.

J

Oh dear, MORE photos to look forward to:eek:.

As for my review of your review, I shall break it to you gently that it's rubbish. Somehow, god knows how, you have achieved something I fondly imagined to be impossible, and attained a standard even lower than your usual abysmal offerings. And as for the photos, well! Pepper could have done better, and that's saying something.

Otherwise it's ok.

Sir Martin:D

PS Surely your next set of dodgy snaps will be of your Q1?

Thank you for the detailed description of the stateroom (any photos of that?) and the photos from the cruise. That itinerary is one that I have always had an interest in, so it was great to view the photos.

I would rate that itinerary as the second best we have done so far, after the Baltic.

I didn't take any interior shots of the cabin as it was, in all essentials, identical to the standard balcony cabin. The difference lay entirely in the balcony itself and the constricted space out there didn't really lend itself to producing an image that would be of much value.

J

Thank you for the detailed description of the stateroom (any photos of that?) and the photos from the cruise. That itinerary is one that I have always had an interest in, so it was great to view the photos.

He's quite delusional enough; don't encourage him.:(

Sir Martin

He's quite delusional enough; don't encourage him.:(

Sir Martin

Carry on like that, cat, and I will force you to read my forthcoming book - "Ten Years of Rustbuckets in Goole and on the River Trent: 2003 - 2013" published by MartiStan Publishing Ltd (publishers of illustrated books for the photographically challenged). Available in no good bookshops whatsoever.

J

Archived