How does RCI know you have tipped?

I have mixed feelings about the auto-tipping RCI is applying. I am glad that all of the staff are getting tips that they deserve.

On the other hand, I remember when I was a waitress (for about 3 months--I do not possess that skills set, so I really admire those who do and do jobs like that well!), we had to declare, for tax purposes, 15% gratuity on all of our sales whether we earned it or not. For untalented waitresses like me, it could be difficult to earn the full 15%, but for the really talented waitstaff, they could earn far more than 15% and not have to declare more than 15% for tax purposes. While I would never normally support tax evasion, I have to admit that I always thought it was cool that waitstaff could earn money they didn't have to pay taxes on.

Of course, that was twenty years ago, and laws may have changed since. Especially with more people paying by way of charge cards, it may be easier to track tips. The world has gotten really Big Brother with governments and companies tracking so much information about individuals' personal choices. I hate when another bit of private information falls into the public information arena.

The IRS rule (and if anything, it was more lenient 20 years ago) is that an employer must reported on a tipped employee's W-2 the amount of reported tips or 8% of sales, whichever is greater. A tipped employee is legally obligated to report all tips to the employer; the failure to do so is, frankly, tax fraud, and an intentional failure to do so may be charged as a criminal offense. The rule was never 15%.

If you can not afford to take advantage of an excursion you want to take while on the cruise, speciality dining once in a while or a few dollars to tip those who provide exceptional service, you should cruise less and save a little longer so that you are prepared to thoroughly enjoy your cruise when you do go.

I said I PAY MY TIPS and even manage to give a few $ extra for particularly good service. I was just pointing out that $24 a day is not so little to some of us.

We have a wonderful time on our cruises. We are used to living within our means and just because we cannot afford to do some of the extras does not mean we are miserable on a cruise. We make the most of what we can afford and are very happy.

I said I PAY MY TIPS and even manage to give a few $ extra for particularly good service. I was just pointing out that $24 a day is not so little to some of us.

We have a wonderful time on our cruises. We are used to living within our means and just because we cannot afford to do some of the extras does not mean we are miserable on a cruise. We make the most of what we can afford and are very happy.

Love your spirit and philosophy. :) Here is hoping that you have many, many more cruises to enjoy.

Ray in NH

The IRS rule (and if anything, it was more lenient 20 years ago) is that an employer must reported on a tipped employee's W-2 the amount of reported tips or 8% of sales, whichever is greater. A tipped employee is legally obligated to report all tips to the employer; the failure to do so is, frankly, tax fraud, and an intentional failure to do so may be charged as a criminal offense. The rule was never 15%.

I do believe that the ships are registered in the Bahamas so the employees are independent contractors working under a non US flag. Like most large companies from the U.S. that keep money off shore the IRS has no right to tax that money.

Have you ever considered that $24 a day may be "minimal" to you but not to others? It takes a long time for my husband and I to save up for a cruise. We cannot take some of the excursions we would like because we cannot afford them. We could not normally afford to do speciality restaurants - (just twice in 7 cruises). I could not afford spa treatments etc. We pay our tips but they are a part of our budget and we save to be able to pay them. We enjoy our cruises and although we may not be able to afford much above what's available for our cruise price that's fine with us. I wish I had a bigger disposable income and could look at $24 a day as a mere pittance but unfortunately not all are that lucky.

Well said.......a good honest reply! It is difficult to NOT be sucked in to paying extra if you read these boards.

If you can not afford to take advantage of an excursion you want to take while on the cruise, speciality dining once in a while or a few dollars to tip those who provide exceptional service, you should cruise less and save a little longer so that you are prepared to thoroughly enjoy your cruise when you do go.

That is such a rude and ignorant reply. Disgusting!!!!

One of the rudest remarks I've read on these boards!

Haha see that's what I was afraid of! Being sucked in toOver tipping.

I will tip the kids camp and room service because they are not included. But service would Need to be exceptional for me to tip extra.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We always prepay and have never felt the need to tip extra or as you put it - Over tip. I don't think the staff cares if you give them an extra envelope at the end of the cruise when you thank them for their great service. It is always appreciated, but they already know you've taken care of them.

As for the $24 a day for 2 - I consider it part of the cruise fare same as port charges that is why it is paid before I step foot on the ship. So instead of a 7 day cruise being $1000 per person it is $1084 per person.

Archived