Carnival Magic 06/16 - 06/23 review

cruzndiva

We just got back from our cruise on the Carnival Magic. We were priority and FTTF. I purchased FTTF after reading reviews and thought it would be a great idea. We had a suite and our children were across the hall in an interior room. I really purchased the FTTF because I had read that they were no longer allowing priority boarding for those under the same sign and sail account and I didn't want to split up my children from us during boarding. I am glad I did as we were stopped twice saying those in the interior cabin could not board as priority, but we were all quickly put through when they realized we were also FTTF. My children are 18 and 14.

We thought the ship was clean and well kept. We had excursions in Roatan (dolphin encounter), Belize (Myan Ruins) and Cozumel (Nachi Cocom). We were pleased with all of the excursions. The dolphins and staff were great at Anthony's Key. The Myan Ruins were beautiful (not so much for the trip there). If you go be sure to pack insect repellant. The Nachi Cocom Beach in Cozumel was absolutely beautiful and not crowded at all.

We were pretty disappointed in the ships entertainment. There were only a few shows and they were below average. The first show was stopped about 3/4 of the way through because of technical difficulties. The magic show was a big let down. It reminded me of a Saturday Night Live skit. We had big hopes for it as we thought the magic show on the Triumph a year earlier was fantastic. They had basketball playoff games on two separate nights in the theater. We are not basketball fans and surely didn't pay all that money to watch something I could have watched at home on my couch. We walked by on one night and looked in.....there might have been twenty people watching it.

The food in the main dining room was about a 6 out of 10. Some things were good (not great) and some things below average. The lido buffet became boring quickly. It seemed lots of the food was prepackaged and not freshly made. On sea days, the lines were very long. They also had these tiny cups for your drinks. I don't remember that from previous cruises. This may have caused the long lines at the drink stations because you couldn't really get that much at once.

The staff in the dining room, lido deck and room stewards were awesome. They were a joy. I think James, the cruise director, did a fantastic job. He was quite funny.

All in all, we had a great time. We overlooked the negatives and made the best of everything. ;)

Can I ask a question or two about the FTTF program. I just paid off our November cruise on the Magic and purchased the FTTF package for our cruise and also friends cruising with us.

Neither couple has any status to speak of with Carnival (2-4 cruises) and while I don't need a wheelchair, I don't do well standing in line very long - so I figured the FTTF might help.

When you arrive at the port in Galveston is there an entrance marked for FTTF? I guess what I'm asking is if there is a line outside do we get in it, or look for another (shorter) line?

Glad you enjoyed your cruise! We are doing the same cruise on the Magic we did last year (Key West and the Bahamas). We sailed on the Crown Princess a few months ago and we also spent the day at Nachi Cocom and had a fun day - once I ignored my friends telling me to order another drink as soon as they brought one....maybe I didn't ignore them fast enough :-)

Yes, when you get to the cruise terminal, there is a marked off area for FTTF, Priority, Platinum etc. There is also seating right inside the door for you to sit as you wait for them to start processing guests.

I'm guessing that's once you are in the terminal. My question is really is there a "priority" line to get in the terminal if there is a long line? One time we were there we stood outside for over an hour to get in and go through security, then next time we walked right in, so I don't want to get at the end of the line if there is another option :-)

In response to the priority line, our bus from the Lighthouse Parking dropped us off pretty much in front of the terminal. We did have a short walk down the sidewalk before entering the actual terminal. As soon as you open the doors you will see the sectioned off area for the FTTF, Priority etc where there is seating to use before going through security. We had to sit there for about 45 minutes before they let anyone in to the security/check in area. I did see wheelchairs being used that belonged to Carnival. I am thinking people asked for them when they were dropped off. There were lots of employees around who could probably assist you with that. I didn't see any signs for FTTF/Priority boarding until you go through the first set of doors. I hope this helps you.

The dolphin encounter was wonderful. We had to take a bus then short boat ride to Anthony's Key. I believe you normally just take a boat ride, but the winds were high the day we were in port so we didn't get to dock at Mahogany Bay. We docked at Coxen Hole. Once you arrive you are given about a 10 minute lesson on the dolphins and how to interact with them. They then lock up your personal items in a large locker until you are done. They put you in a group of about 6 to 8 people with one dolphin and one trainer. They will demonstrate different tricks and also give lots of info on your dolphin. We had "Polly" a two year old female. You will each get to pet your dolphin about 4 times. They are really cute. Your trainer will tell your dolphin to get you wet.....and they do a good job of that. There are other dolphins in the area where you are that are kind of randomly swimming around checking things out. They swam over to us many times just to see what was going on. I thought that was neat. Before the excursion is over they allow you to go get your personal camera and take as many videos or pics as you want. They also have a professional photographer who takes individual and family photos. When the excursion is over you will go to their gift shop to review the photos. I think it was $80 for our entire family of 4.....and it was a lot of pics. They put them on a flash drive for you. I will be posting pics of all my excursions.

As far as the slide goes, I am not sure. I saw kids up there playing but wasn't paying attention to the slide.

In response to the priority line, our bus from the Lighthouse Parking dropped us off pretty much in front of the terminal. We did have a short walk down the sidewalk before entering the actual terminal. As soon as you open the doors you will see the sectioned off area for the FTTF, Priority etc where there is seating to use before going through security. We had to sit there for about 45 minutes before they let anyone in to the security/check in area. I did see wheelchairs being used that belonged to Carnival. I am thinking people asked for them when they were dropped off. There were lots of employees around who could probably assist you with that. I didn't see any signs for FTTF/Priority boarding until you go through the first set of doors. I hope this helps you.

Thanks! I appreciate the time you took to respond :-)

Can I ask a question or two about the FTTF program. I just paid off our November cruise on the Magic and purchased the FTTF package for our cruise and also friends cruising with us.

Neither couple has any status to speak of with Carnival (2-4 cruises) and while I don't need a wheelchair, I don't do well standing in line very long - so I figured the FTTF might help.

When you arrive at the port in Galveston is there an entrance marked for FTTF? I guess what I'm asking is if there is a line outside do we get in it, or look for another (shorter) line?

Glad you enjoyed your cruise! We are doing the same cruise on the Magic we did last year (Key West and the Bahamas). We sailed on the Crown Princess a few months ago and we also spent the day at Nachi Cocom and had a fun day - once I ignored my friends telling me to order another drink as soon as they brought one....maybe I didn't ignore them fast enough :-)

We had FTTF on the Magic back in January. There was no line outside the terminal when we arrived and once inside there was a well marked line (all the way to the right) for Priority and FTTF. If you arrive at the terminal and there is a line I would ask someone working for Carnival about getting to the FTTF line. Enjoy the Magic!

We had FTTF on the Magic back in January. There was no line outside the terminal when we arrived and once inside there was a well marked line (all the way to the right) for Priority and FTTF. If you arrive at the terminal and there is a line I would ask someone working for Carnival about getting to the FTTF line. Enjoy the Magic!

Thanks!

We were on the same cruise. We to thought the entertainment was lacking. We thought they used the NBA finals to replace shows.

We did not have FTTF but felt our waits were very reasonable. In our opinion it was not worth the cost. In our case it would have maybe saved us 20 minutes tops. We didn't care about disembarking quickly. :)

Archived