Cruising with a 1 year old?

blizzrd

Anyone done it? How was it? We have a cruise planned on 9/29 but are now second guessing bringing our 1 year old son. We are on an OV room but my parents are going and are on lido so we can use their room to stash pampers, food etc so that should help. Anyways, we are getting advice against bringing him and have read people saying not to do it as well so we are second guessing it now. If so, any suggestions/recommendations?

We took our son at 14 months and we all had a great time. You won't be able to do your normal cruise routine though. You have to go with the flow and do whatever your child wants to do or appears comfortable with. We enjoy sitting on Lido all day and couldn't do that with him because the music and activities were too loud and it made him cry, but there were plenty of quiet places to go where he could run around and explore that didn't have activities going on. You can look at my Fascination review in my signature. I included some details about things we did and also have a picture of the crib that Carnival provides.

We enjoyed cruising with our son so much that we have booked 2 more and he will be on both of them. The only hard part about cruising with a 1yo is packing for them. Just make sure you bring a favorite blanket, a pack n play sheet or two, a favorite stuffed animal if there is one and your mobile or projector if you use one at bed time. You want to make that time feel and smell like home as much as possible so nap and bed times aren't stressful for your little one. Also don't forget to bring enough diapers, wipes, snacks, sippy cups, meds (Motrin, gas meds) and powdered Pedialyte just in case.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

our daughters first cruise was when she was 18 months...the hardest thing was keeping her out of the pool...she loves to swim...so we brought her like two little buckets...disaster diverted!!! I think you will have so much fun!!! lots of fun stuff to see and do! what boat are you sailing on? if he likes music...he will like some of the shows...we took our girls to all the shows...they love them! relax...it will be as great as you let it!

Have you cruised before? If so it will be a different experience than cruising without a one year old. We took our daughter at 2 and although it was not the same as cruising without her it was a great trip for all of us. We took her again at 3 and have another planned for 4. The only advice I have is consider upgrading to a balcony if it is in the budget. It was great to have somewhere to hang out during naps and after putting her to bed at night.

We're taking our son 9/2 and he'll be 18 months. He loves music so we'll do all of the shows. We'll also do the build a bear on the day it is provided for all of those on the ship. It'll be a great experience for you and your child....that way he'll be use to how the cruise ship rides and get to see different countries.

It will depend on the child. My son has cruised since 7 months and had no problems. He has been on 7 cruises. My daughter was almost 12 months on her first cruise and I thought never again! She stayed home with my inlaws last year, but we are trying again with her this year. Hopefully it goes a lot better. :)

As the PPs have said, it is a different kind of cruise and vacation. We took our little guy when he was 9.5 months old and loved it so much that we are now booked for his 2nd cruise in Sept. He will be 16 months old. We found the Family cruising on CC board very helpful.

Anyone done it? How was it? We have a cruise planned on 9/29 but are now second guessing bringing our 1 year old son. We are on an OV room but my parents are going and are on lido so we can use their room to stash pampers, food etc so that should help. Anyways, we are getting advice against bringing him and have read people saying not to do it as well so we are second guessing it now. If so, any suggestions/recommendations?

Well my son just turned one and we are cruising in 12 days. There will be 13 of us. I do plan on posting a review when we get back. Don't let people dissuade you from taking your little one. Just go with the flow...

My suggestion would be to not make any big plans for this cruise or the next one if you should decide to take him again. At this age, you are kind of on their schedule. Our cruise on Carnival Elation was our first post-baby cruise, hence no CC review. He was about 17 months old and our child who hardly wanted to sleep at home, slept all the time on that ship. We took advantage and slept when he slept:D. So, there was really nothing to write a review about. We spent a lot of time on the upper decks. He was scared at times but as long as we were holding him, he was fine and he just enjoyed watching what was going on. We also packed a suitcase with just his favorite toys. We didn't plan any excursions but got off the ship in Cozumel and walked around the port area. We brought one of those Jeep animal backpacks with the removeable leash to use as a tether so he could have a little freedom to walk around.

I wouldnt take my 19 month old on a cruise with me. I mean..... I would want to because i want her to travel and have different experiences, however, she wont remember jack. I asked my son who is 13 whats the oldest memory that he has and he couldnt remember anything before he was 3. I also know my self, if i take her, i am going to overpack because i'm one of those who worries about the "what ifs". Also, she doesnt have the patience to stay still for any of the shows (i tried taking her to the movies, lasted 15 minutes before i had to leave so that i dont ruin it for everyone else) , she doesnt know how to swim yet, so basically there is nothing there that she will be able to enjoy. I'm going to be too paranoid that she's going to jump in the pool and drown. I wont be able to take her to the MDR because i doubt that they have high chairs (does anyone know if they have any?) cuz she makes a mess. she can make a mess in my house all she wants (tries feeding herself but hasnt mastered picking up the food with the spoon), but i dont want her making a mess somewhere else for others to have to clean. She's in the exploration stage where she wants to touch everything, and grab everything, and i just dont see any of us having a good time on a cruise. But i will be taking her when she's 3!!! I think by then she will be old enough to be able to enjoy herself.

Yes, they do have high chairs and booster seats in the dining room, and we fed him on the Elation since he was too busy looking at everything going on. I think most parents have these same fears. I find the best way to deal with mine is to understand that 99% of the things I fear will happen to/because of my child will not happen if we are vigilant. Totally know what you mean about the movies and the shows. He has only sat through two movies and paid attention most of the time, Madagascar 3 and The Croods. We did not even attempt to take him to a show on the Elation and we chose the shows carefully on the Legend and the Valor.

I wouldnt take my 19 month old on a cruise with me. I mean..... I would want to because i want her to travel and have different experiences, however, she wont remember jack. I asked my son who is 13 whats the oldest memory that he has and he couldnt remember anything before he was 3. I also know my self, if i take her, i am going to overpack because i'm one of those who worries about the "what ifs". Also, she doesnt have the patience to stay still for any of the shows (i tried taking her to the movies, lasted 15 minutes before i had to leave so that i dont ruin it for everyone else) , she doesnt know how to swim yet, so basically there is nothing there that she will be able to enjoy. I'm going to be too paranoid that she's going to jump in the pool and drown. I wont be able to take her to the MDR because i doubt that they have high chairs (does anyone know if they have any?) cuz she makes a mess. she can make a mess in my house all she wants (tries feeding herself but hasnt mastered picking up the food with the spoon), but i dont want her making a mess somewhere else for others to have to clean. She's in the exploration stage where she wants to touch everything, and grab everything, and i just dont see any of us having a good time on a cruise. But i will be taking her when she's 3!!! I think by then she will be old enough to be able to enjoy herself.

You are a family now-- why wouldnt you take your child with you on a cruise?

It will be different from the type of vacation you are used to.

You want to adhere to as much of your babies schedule as possible.

and if at all possible to upgrade to a balcony.. cruising with a kid that age-- you will need a place to escape to when baby is sleeping or napping.

having an oceanview cabin-- how will your baby sleep while you are watching tv? do they need total quiet in order to get sleep.

--

you need to take a stroller- its a long walk from your cabin to the food/ pools and carrying a child could make that walk a lot longer then what it is.

--

your child will not be able to utlize the camps or the pools.

I dont seen where you wouldnt have space inside your cabin to store your babies stuff. Over the door shoe holders work wonders as does the space under your bed.

Yes, they do have high chairs and booster seats in the dining room, and we fed him on the Elation since he was too busy looking at everything going on. I think most parents have these same fears. I find the best way to deal with mine is to understand that 99% of the things I fear will happen to/because of my child will not happen if we are vigilant. Totally know what you mean about the movies and the shows. He has only sat through two movies and paid attention most of the time, Madagascar 3 and The Croods. We did not even attempt to take him to a show on the Elation and we chose the shows carefully on the Legend and the Valor.

That is good to know! i had no idea they had high chairs. i mean, i've cruised a few times before, but since i didnt have a toddler with me, i didnt really pay attention to that. you said it best, we have to be vigilent. and especially somehwere that we dont have any control over the place and other people, we as parents have to be vigilent times a million than we would be at our own homes. and i know myself, i wouldnt have a good time because i would worry too much that she's going to get hurt, or that she is going to bother or annoy people.

But if its with a group, then we can all take turns watching her. the thing with me is that my husbands big family live near us. we all live in the same neighborhood and we see eachother all the time. so when it comes to going on vacation, i dont want to see them there too so i dont like vacations with a group, just the hubby and i and our two kids.

to the OP, the only person who can answer your question is you. Only you know your situation, what your child can and cant do, and whether you think everyone will have a good time, and not come home stressed.

You are a family now-- why wouldnt you take your child with you on a cruise?

It will be different from the type of vacation you are used to.

You want to adhere to as much of your babies schedule as possible.

and if at all possible to upgrade to a balcony.. cruising with a kid that age-- you will need a place to escape to when baby is sleeping or napping.

having an oceanview cabin-- how will your baby sleep while you are watching tv? do they need total quiet in order to get sleep.

--

you need to take a stroller- its a long walk from your cabin to the food/ pools and carrying a child could make that walk a lot longer then what it is.

--

your child will not be able to utlize the camps or the pools.

I dont seen where you wouldnt have space inside your cabin to store your babies stuff. Over the door shoe holders work wonders as does the space under your bed.

Okay, I'll bite. I agree, I wouldn't bring a toddler either. I can't imagine spending all that money to be on a ship, can do little except keep the tot busy, can't go to clubs, work around nap times, etc.

Yes, you are a family, but I do not feel it is a quality vacation. All the parental fun and bonding can be done doing something local and at a greatly reduced cost.

Only you know your child, even if he/she won't remember it years from now does that mean he/she won't still enjoy themselves? No. Your one year old can not use the pools but you can bring a small blow up pool and a few water toys to double as a pool and/or bath tub. And you can use Camp Carnival after 10pm for a minimal hourly fee. I suggest you browse through the Family Cruises board for tips and advice because there are plenty of families who cruise with babies and toddlers and still manage to have a great time. Any reprieve from the daily hustle, bustle, and stress of working and taking care of home/laundry/cooking etc is considered a vacation to me. Goodluck with your decision and enjoy your cruise!

Okay, I'll bite. I agree, I wouldn't bring a toddler either. I can't imagine spending all that money to be on a ship, can do little except keep the tot busy, can't go to clubs, work around nap times, etc.

Yes, you are a family, but I do not feel it is a quality vacation. All the parental fun and bonding can be done doing something local and at a greatly reduced cost.

Agreed. If others want to do it, great. But for me I wouldn't take a baby on a cruise. I love spending time with my kids and going on vacations with them, but a cruise for me is about the shows (not with a tired baby), long dinners with good conversation, relaxation, and experiencing things in ports that I couldn't do with a baby. As mentioned above there are better types of vacations to do with a baby. Just my opinion. (oh and I can't even imagine if I had my baby with me and the ship stopped working or norovirus broke out. Rare but possible.)

Below are my twins at 13 months on their first cruise. No problem storing a box of diapers in the closet. You don't need food - plenty to eat in the dining room or buffet (I highly suggest the dining room where you can be served and concentrate on enjoying your meal and your child). We ate 3 meals a day in the dining room and there is so much activity and attention from the waiters that I rarely had to leave (which I would immediately if one of them started acting up). Had such an awful time that we've cruised at least once or twice a year since then. For me, there is nothing as wonderful as just enjoying a week with my kids while someone else does all the cooking and cleaning.

As others have suggested, you can find lots of tips/info on the family boards.

Best,

Mia

We brought our little one on her first cruise last month, she was 11 months old at the time. It was a wonderful cruise, just a tad different than cruising without a baby, but still very enjoyable. My top five tips are below:

1) Request a crib for your room from the cruise line. It will be a small crib, pack n play size so bring your own pack n play size sheet and you will be all set. For us this worked perfect, and even with this, dear wife and I and our now 6 yr old son in the room there was plenty of room. High chairs were plentiful at the buffets and dining room for meals.

2) Disposable bibs...we picked up a 24 pack from Amazon for like $5....money well spent vs. trying to clean or pack dirty bibs.

3) Camp carnival had open play for the under 2 age group each morning...we made this part of our after breakfast, before nap ritual. It was great for her to be able to crawl and toddle around and play with the toys as well as other kids her age.

4) While it was a downer NOT being able to take her in the pools on board, they had a splash park that the staff was fine with her going in with her swim diaper on. We also in our ports of call sought out the beach and even better was clubs that had a pool (Margarittaville) where she was able to splash and play in port.

5) We had a balcony room and also connecting room with my parents who came on the cruise with us. This was a blessing as we could set up her baby monitor and be in a "separate area" so watching TV/movies didn't disturb her, yet still connected to her in case she woke up.

Have fun, enjoy your cruise, and take tons of pictures especially of your little one all dressed for dinner!

Matt

We cruised with our son at 11 months and 14 months. We didn't even consider leaving him home for a week and wouldn't have enjoyed ourselves without him. The fact that he wouldn't remember it is irrelevant. He enjoyed himself each day and we enjoyed our cruises as a family. Really the only drawback we found was the amount of stuff we had to pack. Since your parents are going you will also have help and get some alone time.

I've booked our daughter's first cruise for when she'll be 10 months old. The fact that she (obviously) wont remember it is irrelevant. What is relevant is that I (we) will remember that vacation with her.

There are plenty of great tips on the family board.

I think the other thing is to be as considerate of others as possible. Nobody likes a screaming kid at dinner. Be flexible to a room service sandwich or cold fries from the buffet ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived