Altun Ha/Belize City Tour

aqua

Hi Everyone,

We just returned from the Miracle and took this tour. If you are considering seeing Mayan ruins while on this cruise, I would not choose this excursion. The ruins, while pretty, are very small. Also, the mosquitoes are TERRIBLE. Fortunately, I had brought bug spray with me and supplied the entire tour.

Even so, they crawled under my daughter's capri pants and bit her all over.

I didn't spray my face and got bit there. The guides were fine, but I don't think Altun Ha was an important Mayan site. We liked Chacchoben and Tulum much better. That is just my opinion, but I wish I had done something else while in Belize.

Hi Everyone,

We just returned from the Miracle and took this tour. If you are considering seeing Mayan ruins while on this cruise, I would not choose this excursion. The ruins, while pretty, are very small. Also, the mosquitoes are TERRIBLE. Fortunately, I had brought bug spray with me and supplied the entire tour.

Even so, they crawled under my daughter's capri pants and bit her all over.

I didn't spray my face and got bit there. The guides were fine, but I don't think Altun Ha was an important Mayan site. We liked Chacchoben and Tulum much better. That is just my opinion, but I wish I had done something else while in Belize.

I'm bummed to hear this. We are taking the Altun Ha/River Wallace tour NEXT WEEK!!!

I'll make sure to pack LOTS of bug spray.

01sweetpea would love to hear about your trip when you get back, we have already booked the River Wallace/Altun Ha tour for our Miracle August 21 Cruise. I've read great things about the River Wallace portion on other boards, so it'd be interesting to see what you think. I've seen posts saying to bring really strong bug spray, but the bugs sound vicious!

We didn't do the river part of this trip, but did go to Altun Ha in January. No problem with bugs at all -- and we thoroughly enjoyed these ruins. For me, the fact that they were clustered so closely together made them even more enjoyable.

In contrast to Lamanai, where we had to walk (for what seemed like miles ;) )in the 95 degree heat in May, we much preferred Altun Ha. The ruins at Lamanai were larger, but there was significantly more walking in between the ruins. I do think that the heat also influenced our view -- 95 degrees with 80 percent humidity was a little bit much for our tastes. Next time, I plan on scheduling my ruins visits in the winter.

01sweetpea would love to hear about your trip when you get back, we have already booked the River Wallace/Altun Ha tour for our Miracle August 21 Cruise. I've read great things about the River Wallace portion on other boards, so it'd be interesting to see what you think. I've seen posts saying to bring really strong bug spray, but the bugs sound vicious!

No problem.... I post a review when I get back.

Idlewood... I did this tour last summer and it was simply awesome! While I didn't have trouble with the mosquitos I did find it EXTREMELY hot. The guides were awesome!! Have you been to Belize before?

I am also booked on the 8-21 Miracle!!! I can't wait!

Hi Susan,

Thanks, we've never been to Belize, and are really looking forward to it. Hopefully we'll get all our stops in. The River Wallace and Altun Ha tour sounds perfect for our family.

I was going to direct you to our 8/21 miracle thread, but I just saw that you found it. Sounds like a great group of people will be on our cruise, and it should be lots of fun!

Steph

Archived