Jeans and jacket in MDR on formal night

Touchy, touchy.

But I bet that Sgt. "Big Toe" Hulka would get dressed in his dress uniform on formal night.

Not so sure about that. He did, after all, open a burger franchise - not a chain of formal restaurants.

That is the problem. People do not have respect. One of the weakest arguments of the antiformalist movement is that formal night is an antiquated throwback from the 50's. I guess to those people so is the "out-dated" notion of respect and courtesy towards your fellow passenger. Maybe cruise ships should be all-buffet or all specialty restaurants (for an extra fee) since that is the trend and in the 50's they ONLY had free MDR waiter service. Maybe do away with room stewards and only have someone come and clean the rooms at the end of the cruise (the room stewards are also a throwback from the 50s).

The shame is that they do not understand why there is a formal night or why anyone would want to take part in it. I really feel sorry for some of them - especially if they have children of your own for two reasons: (1) they are teaching the children that to break rules/guidelines (or whatever you want to call them) is okay, and (2) because they are also teaching them that courtesy to others does not matter.

For the passengers that do not comply with the dress code simply because they do not know what it is, or that it even existed, or even those passengers that wear their "Sunday best" but does not exactly fall under the guidelines, I really could not care what they wear - as long as they try to stay with the "spirit" of formal night. For those of you that intentionally wear something to violate the dress code, you are disrespecting me and your fellow passengers. Wouldn't logic dictate that if you know that there is a dress code on a specific cruise line that you would choose a cruise line with a more "casual" dress code?

Just as an aside - some above members have also posted that getting dressed up is not fun or relaxing. I and many others do. In fact, it is an "activity" on my cruise vacation that I make sure I attend. We even packed suits/gowns/dresses on our last cruise to Europe so we can enjoy formal night (and we did).

Don't know if it is a mater of disrespect or just the evolution how the average person perceives acceptable modern day lifestyles. Perhaps RCCL needs get with the times and correctly define "formal". Formal, in cruise ship jargon, certainly does not parrot what an invitation to a formal affair at the county club would suggest. Why not call it what it is and make the MDR suggested dress code as smart-business to formal.

Then have a concurrent alternate dinner in one of the clubs that required (and enforced) a truly formal dress code. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee, say $25, for the event if they had a better menu, hors d' oeuvres and a complementary cocktail hour. It would make the affair something special and worth getting all gussied up for. Both camps should them be satisfied.

With all that said, I DO NOT CARE what anyone else chooses to wear to dinner as long as they are wearing something. I do not think wife beaters, caps, and shorts should be allowed but if someone wears jeans WHO CARES. To categorize ALL jeans as "garden clothes' is just stupid IMO. I wouldnt even notice anyway. Those that act like these people are a disgrace to cruising are ridiculous and they really need a life if all they do at dinner is sit and gawk at what people coming into the MDR are wearing.

I'm right there with you on this.

On short cruises, I wear khakis and a nice shirt every night. Not just formal night. Not to INTENTIONALLY (that is going to be my new favorite thing for a while) spite people like Travel R. Not for anything other than comfort and convenience. If I'm going on a short cruise, it is purely to get away for a weekend. I just want to relax. I don't want to even wear a suit. I want it to be as far from work as possible.

I believe in respect and agree that undershirts, shorts, bathing suits, ballcaps, etc. are not respectful in dining situations. HOWEVER, I think that people should also have the freedom to not dress "to the nines" if they don't want to. As long as your clothing is clean, respectful, and generally the proper sort of clothes expected for the location... go for it!

One shouldn't wear a tux, a suit, a dress, or the like to the pool... but I don't think you get to pick what bathing suits people wear. As long as your bits are covered and it is swimwear... one-piece, bikini, tankini, swimdress, swim shorts, board shorts/rash shirt, even a speedo (admittedly... so awful) is appropriate for the pool. Just be aware that a pool requires swimwear.

Just be aware that a dining room requires clothes befitting a dining room. You don't have to add all these other stipulations in like "If you don't wear a tux, go to the buffet!" Dress nicely and enjoy your dinner.

It really seems that some of these folks need to be more aware of the cruise line they are sailing on. I'm not saying "Sail another line" just "Know your cruise line and what to expect!"

Just be aware that a dining room requires clothes befitting a dining room. You don't have to add all these other stipulations in like "If you don't wear a tux, go to the buffet!" Dress nicely and enjoy your dinner.

Agreed.

I consider the MDRs on these mass-market cruise ships to be basically one notch above a place like Outback Steakhouse. Others seem to put it much higher up on the spectrum. Neither opionion is correct, it's just how each individual perceives it. Dress how you see fit according to your perception (and I'm in agreement with not allowing tank tops, flip flops, swimwear, etc., although not with not allowing shorts...and I would require collared shirts for all males above the age of 16), concentrate on and enjoy the company of your own party and don't concern yourself with what strangers are wearing.

With all that said, I DO NOT CARE what anyone else chooses to wear to dinner as long as they are wearing something... Those that act like these people are a disgrace to cruising are ridiculous and they really need a life if all they do at dinner is sit and gawk at what people coming into the MDR are wearing.

Excellent points. A neat appearance is all that is required. Those that take notice of what others choose to wear to dinner and then find it necessary to gossip among their table mates are to be be pitied and ignored.

As said, lighten up people. It's just a cruise. Those that want to make it more than it really is are going to end up disappointed and disgruntled.

On short cruises, I wear khakis and a nice shirt every night. Not just formal night. Not to INTENTIONALLY (that is going to be my new favorite thing for a while) spite people like Travel R. Not for anything other than comfort and convenience. If I'm going on a short cruise, it is purely to get away for a weekend. I just want to relax. I don't want to even wear a suit. I want it to be as far from work as possible.

I believe in respect and agree that undershirts, shorts, bathing suits, ballcaps, etc. are not respectful in dining situations. HOWEVER, I think that people should also have the freedom to not dress "to the nines" if they don't want to. As long as your clothing is clean, respectful, and generally the proper sort of clothes expected for the location... go for it!"

Hey Poncho, I guess great minds think alike. Nice points.

I believe in respect and agree that undershirts, shorts, bathing suits, ballcaps, etc. are not respectful in dining situations. HOWEVER, I think that people should also have the freedom to not dress "to the nines" if they don't want to. As long as your clothing is clean, respectful, and generally the proper sort of clothes expected for the location... go for it!

One shouldn't wear a tux, a suit, a dress, or the like to the pool... but I don't think you get to pick what bathing suits people wear. As long as your bits are covered and it is swimwear... one-piece, bikini, tankini, swimdress, swim shorts, board shorts/rash shirt, even a speedo (admittedly... so awful) is appropriate for the pool. Just be aware that a pool requires swimwear.

It really seems that some of these folks need to be more aware of the cruise line they are sailing on. I'm not saying "Sail another line" just "Know your cruise line and what to expect!"

Agreed!

While I do find this thread amusing and most members have kept the conversation cordial for the most part, I feel the subject has been beaten to death and the OP's question has been answered. Thanks to all who have participated in this discussion but the subject is now closed.

Archived