Charlie's Cave Tubing in Belize

lovebears

This cave tubing company has very high reviews on trip advisor. Has anyone used this company when in port on a cruise? It looks to be a smaller company, but has very high reviews. I am not sure of booking an excursiion outside of the cruiseline while in Belize and would appreciate feedback.Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

My family has booked with them on our cruise, have never used them before so will let you know how it goes. He did respond quickly to our booking with a phone call answering all of my questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovebears wanted to let you know we had a fantastic time with Charlie. He was a great tour guide. He was waiting for us when we got off the ship, gave us a lot of interesting facts on the way to the caves and the hike to the caves was just as amazing as the tubing itself. He took great care of our group including my 78 year old mother.

We felt very comfortable that he would get us back on time. He seemed very familiar with getting cruisers back to their ship. There was plenty of time to make it to the caves, eat and get back. We never felt rushed. But it is best to try to get on the first tender if possible. We were on the first boat off for those who were not on carnival excursions and that allowed us to be the first tubers down the river. We then had time on the way back to stop at a local supermarket and shop at the flea market by the tender boat.

They gave us a time and meeting place on the cruise ship to get your tender number the morning of our arrival in Belize. Our meeting time was 8:00am we got there about 7:45am and were first to get a tender number 1. Then numbers were 1 - 3 were called to board the first boat. Not sure if that would be the same for all cruises but if you had the number 1 tender you would probably be on the first boat.

Everybody that was not on a carnival excursion had the same meeting time of 8:00am. You line up at the meeting place for your tender number and then wait for your number to be called to board the boat. If you get there first you get the first tender numbers. Charlie just told us to get off the boat as quickly as possible so we would have more time. He waits just outside the tourist village gates until you get off. I didn't keep good track of time but we were in his van and on our way by 8:45 and had gone through the caves and eating lunch by about 12:30 stopped at a supermarket and we were back to the tourist village by about 2:45 or 3:00. We shopped around the tourist village, had our passports stamped (you don't have too we just did to get the stamp) and in line for the boat back by about 3:30.

This is such great information! I really want to go with him, but our roll call group who have been there before continually repeats don't book with outside vendors no matter what...it is making me crazy! Charlie has much better reviews than Carnival booked cave tubing! Don't know what to do???

I think you have to do what your comfortable with. I am not an experienced cruiser but I have traveled the world and lived overseas for many years so am very comfortable navigating around in different cultures. Im sure you will have a good experience on a carnival excursion as well. Enjoy your cruise your going to have a lot of fun!!

This is such great information! I really want to go with him, but our roll call group who have been there before continually repeats don't book with outside vendors no matter what...it is making me crazy! Charlie has much better reviews than Carnival booked cave tubing! Don't know what to do???
All of these independent cave tubing operators make their living doing these tours, if they ever have a group miss their ship the reviews would kill not only them, but the other independents too. You also have to understand that these guys all know each other and help each other out if there is a problem with a bus break-down, etc..

I've never read a review where someone actually missed their ship because of a late cave tubing tour.... it just doesn't happen because they are all watching out for each other. We did a tour with Yhony's group (cave-tubing.com) a few years ago and felt much safer than being herded like cattle on the Carnival tour. We're going again in November and we're considering tubing again, but it will be with a small independent operator like Charlie's, Yhony, Maj. Tom, etc..

We always book independent tours and always have a great time. My only suggestion, for almost any independent tour, is to have a watch set to your ships time. When you meet up with the folks doing your tour make sure they know what time you need to be back vs their current time. I only mention this because you might have peeps on a tour from other ships that might be on different times. Case-in-point when the Miracle sailed out of Tampa they set their clocks clocks back an hour while those of us on the Valor didn't.

Belize is one of my favorite ports but so many folks seem terrified to go outside the port gates. I love wandering around, chatting with the locals, and finding a local watering hole to down a Belikin beer or two; you just have to treat the people with respect and use common sense like many places here in the states. Last year I took my wife's uncle outside the gates and we walked around the city and had a great time. Belize is a beautiful country and cave-tubing is a great way to see a lot of it so enjoy your visit and cruise!

John

Completely agree with you John. People travel the world every day booking with independent tour guides in third world countries not affiliated with carnival excursions. You just have to do your homework and be smart. Some of the finest most hospitable people I have ever met along my travels come from third world countries. I found Belize to be several notches above other third world countries I have travelled to. Your view will definitely be relative to where you have been.

Archived