What would you do?

leaski

I have a decision to make and I am so torn about what to do. We are booked on the Legend next April, sailing with a good friend and her hubby. This would be their first cruise, which and she feels her only cruise since she fully believes her DH will never agree to do it again. I was considering changing the cruise to the Sunshine, with the same itinerary, because I would really like to sail on her instead of the legend. Now I see there is an 11 day re-positioning cruise that we would absolutely love to take instead. If it were just DH and I, we would just jump on it, however..., we are not alone. I know her DH will not agree to this, and because of the time and extra cost involved, she might not want to either.

So I need to decide if we should offer it up and if they turn it down, which I am 99% positive they will, tell them we really want to do this and offer to cruise with them another time, or should we just suck it up, and go as planned? I might also mention they don't even want to go to the Caribbean and are only doing this so they can cruise with us. (It's a long story) I really would like them to experience cruising, but also feel tied down to the Legend cruise now. It's actually the first time we did not book ES, and won't be penalized for changing ships. (She wanted to keep options open)

I am so torn now. What would you do?

You are in a really tough spot...:confused::confused: I,personally would want to do the repositioning cruise, but if you are pretty sure they are not going to go for it, I am thinking you should stick with your original plans. It sounds like you had to "convince" them to come on this cruise with you. If you bail out, things could become ugly. Sorry!!! It really IS a tough spot to be in. Keep us updated as to what you decide, and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

If you want to keep your friends, suck it up and stay with what you got and go with them. You can always find another cruise later on that will wow you. A change and chance of losing friendship is not worth it if you ask me.

you could tell them that you came across the other cruise and if they say no then you need to stick to your original plan. Iknow I would be really mad if you talked me into a cruise then bailed on me. what is worth more? The repositioning cruise or your friendship?

I do not agree with some of these posts. It is not a question of keeping a friendship, it is a question of character. If you can not see this, then it would be a waste of time to try to explain.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your Legend cruise.

If this is their first cruise, I think 11 days is way too long for a first time cruiser. Especially since your friends husband had to be convinced to take the trip to begin with.

Stick with the Legend. You will sleep better at night for making this choice

I think you should "suck it up" and stick to the plan. I put that in quotes because honestly it's still a cruise! I'm sure you'll still have fun! I'd be upset if my friend asked us to go then changed their plans.

I would go with my friends. TAs are not that popular because of the airfare and all the sea days with fewer ports for how many days the TA usually is.

I myself almost never agree to TAs but made a except for the ship visiting Hawaii only because I used to live there.

TAs are a dime a dozen. Go on another one and go this time with your friends, especially since you feel her husband would not want to cruise again. If you abandon them, this might clinch it that he for sure never wants to cruise again. Go and try to help them enjoy the cruise so they want to cruise again.

I think you should "suck it up" and stick to the plan. I put that in quotes because honestly it's still a cruise! I'm sure you'll still have fun! I'd be upset if my friend asked us to go then changed their plans.

I think you said it better than I did. Exactly what I think.

The reason that repositioning cruises are so inexpensive is that the majority of people do not enjoy taking them. As most of them have a significant number of back to back sea days, if you aren't a sea day person than you could have a problem. Also, the weather on a TA can be tricky depending on the time of year and unlike a typical Caribbean cruise that can alter its itinerary to avoid bad weather a TA can not. Both of these points should be considered for a weary non-cruiser's first time.

Take the safer bet and cross your fingers that their preconceptions of cruising are wrong. Hopefully they will love it and can take a TA in the future with you.

I would go with my friends. TAs are not that popular because of the airfare and all the sea days with fewer ports for how many days the TA usually is.

I myself almost never agree to TAs but made a except for the ship visiting Hawaii only because I used to live there.

TAs are a dime a dozen. Go on another one and go this time with your friends, especially since you feel her husband would not want to cruise again. If you abandon them, this might clinch it that he for sure never wants to cruise again. Go and try to help them enjoy the cruise so they want to cruise again.

I think the 11-nighter OP is referring to is the Legend in Oct. out of NYC to Tampa that I'm booked on with 5 stops around the entire Caribbean. That said, I agree with many here to adhere to the original plan of sailing with his/her friends.

Thank you for all your input. I do appreciate most of your comments. Deep down I know what the right thing to do is, but i think I just needed a kick in the bottom. :o We have missed out on several 'special' cruises because of previous cruise plans, and it was just a bit of disappointment setting in.

I do know the friendship would not have been jeopardized, we have weathered 37 years of friendship , some times much worse than this would have been. But I do know for sure that I would end up feeling worse than they would. I do hope her DH will like it, but he reluctantly agrees to various vacations, enjoys them, but never wants to do them again, so we both know this will be their one and only.

I just got those cruising 'stars' in my eyes and my mind went crazy. Thanks for the reality check! :o

If this is their first cruise, I think 11 days is way too long for a first time cruiser. Especially since your friends husband had to be convinced to take the trip to begin with.

Stick with the Legend. You will sleep better at night for making this choice

I totally agree with this. It honestly didn't occur to me. :o

You should cruise with your friends. That said, maybe you can find cheap airfare from Tampa. Be sure and check St Pete. And do they play cards? The extra sea days would be perfect for bridge players. If he won't ever do one again can't hurt to try and talk him into this one.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived