Kid friendly food?

seahawk8292

My 25 yr old, 13 yr old, & 10 yr old claimed to be "starving" on the Caribbean Princess. I have to admit that they did not do a good job of having kid friendly stuff in the buffets. They did not like the pizza or burgers or hot dogs being served. They all basically lived on cookies for a week other than the Pizza Hut they had on St Thomas!!

What do your kids eat?

I just can't imagine anyone "starving" on the ship. The hamburgers and hot dogs are generic grill items.

After reading CatLovers post, I rest my case

How does insisting that kids try a food once differ from making them go to school. Do homework, clean their room. And all the other things we have to help and/or force them to learn?

Dan

I can't see how letting a kid off the hook for foods is comparable to other life choices such as school or homework. I like a feel of a nice hot tub... now why would i force a kid to just slip his feet in and try it since i know it might hurt his little feet. I know in time he'll be more tolerant of the temperature. We don't force toddlers into school.... as they mature, we gradually move them into the routine where today, the educators try to make it more enjoyable and fun. As they mature, and with the strong examples parents make with work and chores, the children just know it's part of every day life. Some parents force the concept of homework. It works for some, it doesn't for others. I used to sit down and read the assignments, help with outlines and make study questions with my daughter because I didn't think she was catching on. Funny when I backed off... at her insistance... she actually did much better! I don't think parents always know whats best for their kids. We learn as we go Dan... My 20 yr old turned out close to perfect... nope, she still doesn't like much food... but without me forcing her... and an influence from her boyfriend, she actually tries more food now then she ever has.... it's all in maturity and allowing your child to grow at their own pace. We provide the building blocks for growth Dan... we don't pull them up to the next level before they are ready, and we don't shove them off too soon. It's our job to expose them to what we can, and it's their choice to get out of it what they can. So... getting back to the post....I hope our reader was able to access the link to the children's menu and I hope your child finds enough chicken tenders and ketchup to keep his belly full. I now consider this topic closed.;)

"it's all in maturity and allowing your child to grow at their own pace. We provide the building blocks for growth "

Dan, this is what parenting is. Not forcing your child into what you feel is perfection (eating whatever you place on his plate) but giving him choices and perhaps they will make the right choices. My child may not eat lobster and steak but will also ask for something with protein (such as cheese or Lunchable meat) as a pre-bed snack. Her doctor has assured me, time and time again, not to worry. She is healthy and growing, albeit very slender. Not once, over the past seven years, have I been told by the doctor that I'm being a bad parent.

"the educators try to make it more enjoyable and fun. "

In fact, we were lucky to find a piano class for our girl that fit this mode. The little ones are started off in a class of about six and the teacher plays little games with them. They do spend time during the hour at the piano (there's a piano for each of them). It's really great. After five months, my girl played a couple of numbers in the recital (it was her choice if she wanted to participate and she decided to). Since then, she has been in a semi-private class and will have her second recital next week. The point: make it fun and it will work! Force them (to eat or to learn piano or whatever) and they may end up resenting it.

Interesting thoughts on this thread. I have two children a 6yo boy and 4yo girl. The boy will eat nothing that is not processed food (like nuggets, soy burgers, corn dogs) and of course the child favorite french fries. We recently got him to eat mandarin oranges and peaches again. However the only veggies he will eat are green beans, after opening them and picking out the bean. Our daughter however will eat any fruit or veggie you put on her plate. Our struggle with her is getting her to eat protein (meat). Our son was also lactose intolerant until about 2-2 1/2, but ate veggies and fruit as an infant. Daughter has never been fond of meat.

Anyway the one comment I wanted to make was in regards to the idea of making a plate for your child and forcing them to eat it. I personally do not agree with this strategy. First of all children eat when their bodies tell them to not for emotional reasons like many adults. They eat just the amount they need naturally unless this is changed. Second I have many adult friends who were brought up in households with this strategy and they now have serious weight and health problems. They were forced to eat everything on their plate and still to this day do. Even if they go to a restaurant where helping sizes are big enough for 3 meals. I wonder if there is any connection? I also have a few friends from this thinking that have serious weight issues the other way. They are anorexic or bulemic. Many have been to psychologists and indicate to me that their upbringing may have had a major role in their relationship with food.

Just some "food for thought"

Riiighhttt. What I would do is wake the boys up at 2AM, put a nuclear hot, 4 pound plate of brussell sprouts in front of each and then beat them with barbed wire, screaming in their ears until they finished every stinkin' morsel.

I sure didn't insist they try a bite or two before they could say they don't like it. That wouldn't be anywhere near mean enough.

UPDATE:

Regretfully we lost one son to a traffic accident. The other [now 42] is a very successful businessman and one of my best friends.

Kids require and DESIRE direction by their parents. In every single thing they do. Its what makes parenting a full time and hard job. Done right, the rewards are worth the effort.

Dan

My hubby and I have a sad thing in common: we both lost an older brother to traffic accidents when they were 20. Two uncles my daughter never got to meet. BTW, my girl was thrilled watching one of our "kid" crickets eat a pea in our little cricket townhouse tonight.

I don't understand why it's necessary to be sarcastic to make a point.

Sarcasm is the only proper response to statements such as, "Not forcing your child into what you feel is perfection ... but giving him choices and perhaps they will make the right choices."

You're a good parent and you know you don't do that all the time. Do you give your child the choice to run into a busy street, experiment with drugs, or ditch school? Of course not. Why then, is it okay to reinforce poor eating habits? I don't think encouraging children to eat only what they prefer is any more correct than my generation's parents telling us to clean up our plates because there are starving children in Africa. You're advocating fast food and treats as a healthy diet, to avoid making the more difficult choices parents need to make.

Finnicky eater here LOL. And contrary to popular belief, it isn't my parent's fault. My parent's tried everything to get me to eat what was on my plate...even letting me go hungry if I wouldn't eat what was served...until it got to the point where it couldn't go on any longer and they had to start making some exceptions or special meals for me. And I've gotten finnicky as I've gotten older, too. I work with kids...ya just can't blame the parents for every little problem.

Interesting thread. As someone who eats from the Kids section at the country club still at age 19, I'm glad to know Princess will have some "kid" friendly foods to choose from when the adult menus don't sound appetizing!

Here is an ABSOLUTE FACT about the human animal. In any/every exchange of 2 [or more] people, one is in control. The other is/are led. So if the parent is not leading, the child with its lack of knowledge, experience, and education is leading [CONTROLING]

Of course, in some households, maybe thats a good thing???

Not in my house.

Finished with this.

Dan

Oh, now, all we feeding our kids is fast food and treats? Love these assumptions. So what if my kid won't eat the lobster and the other items that many of the cruisers are gouging on. I have told my girl's doctor what she does eat and the doctor said, that's fine, she's growing and she's healthy. Maybe a bit skinny, but then she's also active. And in my hubby's and my book, she probably has less of a chance of having an eating problem (either overweight or anoexia) when she's a teenager because we're not forcing her to eat everything and because we're not putting pressure on her to be a type-A person.

The main point of this thread was about picky eaters (which includes many of the adults), not unhealthy eaters. If certain people want to eat "exotic" food, fine. But that doesn't mean those of us who don't are low-brow or foolish or whatever else you want to think.

I've bit my tongue on this one long enough; I'm a Foodie. There's only three things on the planet I will not eat and enjoy - I *HATE* red radishes, I can't eat red-shelled shellfish (the real kind of allergy, not the "peas make me throw up" kind that seems to be flourishing of late), and I think eating primates is both bad karma and unhealthy. That said, bring it on. Natto? No problem. Odd fermented things? I'm the first in line for seconds. Granted, I'm an insanely adventurous eater, and I don't expect everyone to do the same.

The real problem with picky eating isn't when you're a kid; it's when you get married. On dates, you can work around picky eating. But my late-40s DH is a Seriously Picky Eater (won't eat macaroni and cheese, won't eat pb&j, won't touch a sliced tomato if there was a gold coin underneath, won't eat anything that requires teeth to touch a bone (wings, ribs, etc)) and it's the only source of Serious Marital Tension in what's become a five-year relationship complicated by shared business ownership, family health issues and the usual litany of things two smart people can find to argue about.

I never met the DH's mom - I've flipped through her cookbooks and recipe cards to see what she cooked, though, and honestly, it seems like she was a decent mid-century american home cook. And I don't think either of his parents were lax, particularly. . . but when someone refuses to eat anything that is green besides mint-chocolate-chip ice cream, key lime pie and an Andes after-dinner mint, something is Wrong, especially when they're smart enough to know it isn't healthy. Anyone reading this who is a non-picky eater married to someone who will send the burger back if pickles have so much as *touched* it knows you can't make them change, no amount of arguing will make them budge and, quite frankly, it's embarassing.

Enough ranting. Parents, unless you want your kids living with you until you're both eligible for Medicare, consider that the ability to compromise on food choices, eat from a variety of ethnicities and spice levels and the full range of proten sources is a major part of getting along with a future spouse. I won't even touch the importance of non-picky-eating to business dining . . .

Eric

As someone who is married to a non-picky eater (he knows I'm not going to eat Mexican or Indian -- the latter because of the yogurt-based cuisine which isn't good for someone who lacks the yogurt enzyme), there really isn't a problem. When we go out to eat, he can pick whatever he wants to eat. We even split a teriyaki-chicken combo when we eat at the mall: the chicken, string beans, rice, noodles; and he also eats the sushi. We're not stuffing ourselves as many of the people we see. I think the problem is more that kids are eating too much fattening food and not being active enough...not that some kids are selective with their diet.

i would like to know how, because I choose not to FORCE my child to eat brussel sprouts or cabbage has made HER controlling. I make her clean her room (still, at age 20) I make her do laundry, I still yell at her to work on her school work and I make her call me when her plans change. I DO NOT and HAVE NEVER MADE her eat something she dind't want to. This whole thread has churned my stomach and I now have no desire to eat anythng but chicken tenders and ketchup. I guess the child rules after all. Good... now that she's in control she can also clean out the kitty litter box...I'm going off to color.

Here is my ABSOLUTE FACT : "some" readers need to get off their little...and i mean little soap box. None of us are perfect parents. We all parent in different ways and all of us can say our kids have turned out pretty darn good. so "some" of us need to get on with life and quit critisizing how others parent. And I say let the chicken tenders rule the world and death to liver and onions!

LOL, LadyLynne! I love it.

Death to liver and onions, indeed! Viva le pizza!! :D

And I had to laugh at the picky eaters in relationships thing... Good Lord, of all the problems that have come up in relationships before, I can say that my picky eating never had a thing to do with it. And if what I chose to eat or not eat did bother someone else I was involved with, then they have their own issues to deal with. :)

Archived