Passion Island or Tulum? Help me choose!

iheartmarshall

DH and I are booked on Carnival next May and I'm already thinking about our excursions, as some of them are already available to purchase. This will be our first cruise and originally wanted the 7-day Western itinerary so we could visit Tulum while in Cozumel. But then I discovered Isla Pasion and I fell in love.

Neither DH nor I are lay-out-in-the-sun-all-day beach people, but I've been craving the gorgeous white sand and clear turquoise waters and Passion Island looks perfect! Plus, even though we aren't big drinkers, the open bar and included lunch sound appealing. We do really want to see some Mayan ruins on our trip and also plan to visit Xunantunich while in Belize so we will at least get some history in. It's just, from what I've seen in photos, Tulum looks so beautiful and I don't know when we will have the chance to return to Cozumel (cruising is always an option, but it will be a few years).

I know that Passion Island and Tulum are two extremes, but does anyone have some guidance or experiences they'd like to share to help me in my decision? Is it worth it to pass up the chance to experience history in Tulum just to spend a few hours on a picture perfect beach? I honestly can't decide. Help!

Edited by iheartmarshall

DH and I are booked on Carnival next May and I'm already thinking about our excursions, as some of them are already available to purchase. This will be our first cruise and originally wanted the 7-day Western itinerary so we could visit Tulum while in Cozumel. But then I discovered Isla Pasion and I fell in love.

Neither DH nor I are lay-out-in-the-sun-all-day beach people, but I've been craving the gorgeous white sand and clear turquoise waters and Passion Island looks perfect! Plus, even though we aren't big drinkers, the open bar and included lunch sound appealing. We do really want to see some Mayan ruins on our trip and also plan to visit Xunantunich while in Belize so we will at least get some history in. It's just, from what I've seen in photos, Tulum looks so beautiful and I don't know when we will have the chance to return to Cozumel (cruising is always an option, but it will be a few years).

I know that Passion Island and Tulum are two extremes, but does anyone have some guidance or experiences they'd like to share to help me in my decision? Is it worth it to pass up the chance to experience history in Tulum just to spend a few hours on a picture perfect beach? I honestly can't decide. Help!

Tulum is a unique Mayan experience, as they are the only ruins on the ocean. (the Mayans were smarter than modern man, knowing to not build on the ocean, to avoid storm surge from the frequent hurricanes. Tulum being up on the cliffs was higher than storm surge.)

But it is also, quite a bit of traveling back and forth, versus actual time at the ruins. Ferry ride, bus ride, ruins and then reverse. (but Xunantich is also a really long bus ride across the entire country of Belize, then back again.)

There is 3 Mayan choices in Belize and 3 Mayan choices in Costa Maya. (if you port there) The biggest Mayan ruins are at Progresso, but the majority of Western itineraries don't stop there. (if yours does, I highly recommend Uxmal and there is always Chitzen Itza, if you want the Disney of the Mayan Ruins)

But personally I don't think the beach options in Belize or Costa Maya are as good as quite a few in Cozumel (including Passion Island) and many beaches in Roatan, (again, if you are porting there) or Grand Cayman.

To Me Belize is Mayan Ruins, cave tubing, ziplines and scuba/snorkeling.

Costa Maya is smaller ruins and funky little beach bars in Mahuhual.

Roatan is gorgeous beaches and great snorkeling.

Grand Cayman is Seven Mile Beach and Sting Ray City.

Cozumel is the widest variety of beach clubs for any taste, shopping and great snorkeling.

If you are doing Mayan ruins in Belize, I would definitely choose to spend my hours ashore at a wonderful beach, rather than half my day on ferries and busses.

Have a GREAT time whichever you choose.

Bill

Tulum is a unique Mayan experience, as they are the only ruins on the ocean. (the Mayans were smarter than modern man, knowing to not build on the ocean, to avoid storm surge from the frequent hurricanes. Tulum being up on the cliffs was higher than storm surge.)

But it is also, quite a bit of traveling back and forth, versus actual time at the ruins. Ferry ride, bus ride, ruins and then reverse. (but Xunantich is also a really long bus ride across the entire country of Belize, then back again.)

There is 3 Mayan choices in Belize and 3 Mayan choices in Costa Maya. (if you port there) The biggest Mayan ruins are at Progresso, but the majority of Western itineraries don't stop there. (if yours does, I highly recommend Uxmal and there is always Chitzen Itza, if you want the Disney of the Mayan Ruins)

But personally I don't think the beach options in Belize or Costa Maya are as good as quite a few in Cozumel (including Passion Island) and many beaches in Roatan, (again, if you are porting there) or Grand Cayman.

To Me Belize is Mayan Ruins, cave tubing, ziplines and scuba/snorkeling.

Costa Maya is smaller ruins and funky little beach bars in Mahuhual.

Roatan is gorgeous beaches and great snorkeling.

Grand Cayman is Seven Mile Beach and Sting Ray City.

Cozumel is the widest variety of beach clubs for any taste, shopping and great snorkeling.

If you are doing Mayan ruins in Belize, I would definitely choose to spend my hours ashore at a wonderful beach, rather than half my day on ferries and busses.

Have a GREAT time whichever you choose.

Bill

Thank you for your feedback! Our ports are Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. We want to do stingray city in GC and are looking into Maya Key or zip lining in Roatan. I want at least one lazy beach excursion and like you said, Cozumel seems to have the best variety of beaches to choose from. And to be honest, I feel like seeing the ruins in Belize will be a bit more authentic (if that's the right word?) than Tulum. I guess where I had it in my head that we MUST visit Tulum before we even booked the cruise, I feel bad for second guessing.

I would second bguppies's recs (exception being the beaches in Belize, where you have to ferry to or do an excursion to get to). Centex cruiser's pics should sign the deal for you on Passion Island (probably one of the best excursions offered by ships in Coz). While a long day, the ship excursion to Xunantunich isn't that bad and you do get a decent lunch in San Ignacio after the ruins, which you can climb up on, unlike Tulum. They're not necessarily "more authentic" rather a different group of Mayas with slightly different socio-cultural habits than the Yucatan Maya. Tulum is great for the vistas but given the time there and the heat starting to build in May, it's a tiring trip from Coz.

I would second bguppies's recs (exception being the beaches in Belize, where you have to ferry to or do an excursion to get to). Centex cruiser's pics should sign the deal for you on Passion Island (probably one of the best excursions offered by ships in Coz). While a long day, the ship excursion to Xunantunich isn't that bad and you do get a decent lunch in San Ignacio after the ruins, which you can climb up on, unlike Tulum. They're not necessarily "more authentic" rather a different group of Mayas with slightly different socio-cultural habits than the Yucatan Maya. Tulum is great for the vistas but given the time there and the heat starting to build in May, it's a tiring trip from Coz.

Excellent points, thank you! And yes, Centex's pics didn't do any good to help the Tulum argument :) I'm leaning toward Passion Island because it looks like my paradise I don't really want two all-day, tiring excursions back to back (Cozumel is Day 3, Belize is Day 4). Plus, I'm more excited for the opportunity to climb to the top of a ruin in Belize than I am to just stare at it (guess that's what I meant by authentic?) like you can in Tulum. I should really stop stressing about it since I still have MONTHS, but it's what I do.

Thank you everyone!

• 5 months later...

You may have already decided on your excursions since this post was in July but since you aren't cruisin until May, I thought I'd reply. We just got back from Carnvial's "Passion Island by Power Catamaran" excursion. We were actually disappointed. The boat ride is 45 minutes each way. The water is crystal clear until you get to the beach and then it is very milky. You can't even see the bottom. Lots of seaweed but that may depend on the time of the year. The beach chairs were hard plastic, shaped like a rounded surf board. Not very comfy. The lunch was just okay (chicken wings, rice, grilled fish, chips, fruit, cookies). This is a great excursion for drinkers because the booze is unlimited and then you don't care about the rest of the day but we don't drink so that didn't help us. Nice hammocks to enjoy the shade but there aren't many of them and you are sharing the island with other cruise ships. They have shops and would like you to buy. They take your picture when you first get to the island and then come around and push the picture on you for purchase. When it was time to go, we felt very uncomfortable because the tour guys really pushed the tips. Since we had already paid almost $100 a piece for the trip, we didn't want to pay more.

My absolute favorite all inclusive beach day was in Roatan Honduras. We went to Maya Key private island and LOVED it! It's a very short trip from the cruise ship and the water is gorgeous for swimming & crystal clear for snorkeling (you do have to rent your snorkel gear for $10 but you have to rent it at Passion too). The food was very good at Maya Key although it wasn't all you can eat, all day. They served water and tea but if you wanted other drinks you did have to buy those. They have a great pool on the island. It is also a wildlife refuge and beautiful birds are everywhere. You can walk all over the island with no restrictions (unlike passion) and it is also a lot cheaper too!

Thanks for the recent replies, everyone! Since I posted this, we actually switched things around and booked a Chaak Tun Cenote Swim excursion. It's a combination of a cavern swim and a little sight seeing in Playa del Carmen -- totally different than Passion Island or Tulum and it's something we've never done before! We are still experiencing the Mayan ruins wth a trip to Xunantunich in Belize and I'm very excited. We also chose a lazy beach day in Roatan :)

Edited by iheartmarshall

Thanks for the recent replies, everyone! Since I posted this, we actually switched things around and booked a Chaak Tun Cenote Swim excursion. It's a combination of a cavern swim and a little sight seeing in Playa del Carmen -- totally different than Passion Island or Tulum and it's something we've never done before! We are still experiencing the Mayan ruins wth a trip to Xunantunich in Belize and I'm very excited. We also chose a lazy beach day in Roatan :)

You won't be sorry! Cenotes are AWESOME!!! And Playa is a hoot. Sounds like you made a great decision.