Mandatory USCG Inspection

Anyone have this happen to them? How long does the inspection take? When would you arrive to embark?

This is the email I got today from Carnival....

July 1, 2013

Hi there:

Betcha can't wait for your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Elation. So, we'd like to take a moment to provide you with some important information.

Most days we are able to start boarding slightly earlier than the published embarkation time of 1:00 PM. However, Monday, as a result of a scheduled, mandatory United States Coast Guard inspection, our debarkation process may run a bit behind schedule. Therefore, for your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited, please do not arrive prior to 1:00 PM. Our departure remains the same at 4:00 PM.

We thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Most importantly, we can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

i_safe.gif Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

because of the high number of plat/ diamond and now fttf carnival sends this email out weekly telling normal paxs not to arrive till 1pm

True, except those emails usually don't include the statement of an official USCG inspection scheduled to take place on that sailing date. Coast Guard inspections that are scheduled on a sailing date will delay boarding for all passengers regardless of how many plat/diamond or FTTF passengers there are.

Anyone have this happen to them? How long does the inspection take? When would you arrive to embark?

This is the email I got today from Carnival....

July 1, 2013

Hi there:

Betcha can't wait for your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Elation. So, we'd like to take a moment to provide you with some important information.

Most days we are able to start boarding slightly earlier than the published embarkation time of 1:00 PM. However, Monday, as a result of a scheduled, mandatory United States Coast Guard inspection, our debarkation process may run a bit behind schedule. Therefore, for your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited, please do not arrive prior to 1:00 PM. Our departure remains the same at 4:00 PM.

We thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Most importantly, we can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

i_safe.gif Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

I got the email today for my cruise for Saturday on the Dream. However, it did not it include anything about the USGS inspection. I plan on ignoring it since we have FTTF anyway.

because of the high number of plat/ diamond and now fttf carnival sends this email out weekly telling normal paxs not to arrive till 1pm

If you get the letter with the us coast guard...there IS an inspection. I have had a delay in boarding twice. Valor in December and Fascination in May. We boarded the Valor at noon (platinum) and boarded the fascination around 1230.

There is the other letter that tries to get people to come at later times... but when it says coast guard...you may be delayed

The USCG, as a port state agency, is tasked with inspecting foreign flag ships in US ports to ensure that they meet IMO and SOLAS regulations with regards to ship safety, fire fighting, and lifesaving, training and equipment. Because the embarkation port is frequently the only US port on the itinerary, this is the only time that the USCG can perform these inspections. All other countries that the ship calls at can also inspect the ship, but this is much more rare. The US flag NCL ships in Hawaii were inspected in Hilo usually, as this was much less disruptive of the ship's schedule than in Honolulu.

The inspection's main impact on embarkation is a required crew fire and boat drill, which normally takes 1-2 hours. However, if the crew does not perform up to the USCG's standards, they can require additional drills until the USCG is satisfied. Most of you understand how hard the crew work on embarkation day, so taking the entire crew for 1-2 hours will have a significant impact on turn-around.

For most commercial foreign flag ships, these drills are random and unannounced. Due to the necessity of disrupting turn-around, the USCG will pre-arrange these inspections with the cruise lines, and the lines will have the opportunity to bring additional labor onboard to facilitate turn-around.

Thanks for the information and advice...still not sure what we will do...this is our 3rd cruise with carnival. We are excited and just want to get on board and start having fun! ;)

Hey, you're going to be in NOLA. If you can't find some fun in that town, even in the 10am to 2pm time frame, something's wrong;) Pre-plan something to do, and plan on arriving for check-in 1300-1400.

Archived