Pike's Place

cruisinlawn

would we be able to navigate the market okay with one in a wheelchair? how about a rollator walker? TIA

Pike Place (the street) is very bumpy old brick--that will be a little challenging for anybody on wheels! The passageways within the Market buildings are smoother, and they've eliminated most of the serious barriers--but it's an odd, old set of buildings and there are still some uneven stretches here and there. But with a little assistance, your friend should be able to get around there well enough. I recommend going early in the morning, when the crowds are more civilized--it can get crazy in the afternoons.

If you want to go down to the lower levels (and I recommend that--it's less crowded than the main level and there are some great, funky little shops down there!), there are elevators and ramps, but some are pretty well tucked away and you may need help finding them. The Market does a lousy job of explaining disabled access on their website, and the map there is pretty much useless. But if you ask any of the Market merchants, they should be able to point you to the nearest accessible route.

Thanks to both, this is what I recall from our only visit in '08. We'll likely leave the chair behind and take rollator. We'll take cab from hotel to market and do the same on return. Can you tell me where taxi stand might be at market? TIA:)

the time of day will help you navigate. If you plan to do this on a weekend afternoon the crowds will be enormous. Hard to walk let alone use a walker or wheelchair. No cab stand but on 1st and Union you will find the new $ Seasons hotel with cabs in front.

Archived