Caye Caulker. is it worth the visit??

delmar60

Hey everybody, I have read just about every thread of how to get to Caye Caulker but there doesn't seem to be athread if it worth the trip LOL. My wife and I will be in Belize on Carnival in August and are thinking of going?? Any responses would be welcome!! Thanks.

We went there in April, but did not have a lot of time as it was a snorkel combo tour. I had been wanting to go for a few years and finally made it. I must say in my own opinion , as some may love it, that it was no big deal at all, and it is a long ride. I'll take Roatan over it any day, but again, this is my own opinion.

IMHO, it is the kind of place that you should see one time & then decide based upon your time spent there, if you want to return.

We have been there at least a dozen times, mostly for lunch after a snorkel trip & some times we took the water taxi there, & again IMHO we have been enough times.

It has all sand roads, almost no cars, lots of smaller shops where the locals shop, looks to only be a couple of feet above sea level & is definitely a unique place to visit.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

• 2 weeks later...

We've been to San Pedro as part of a dive/snorkel excursion and it was wonderful. We took the small plane to the island and flew by Caye Caulker, which seemed very similar. We loved the sandy Caribbean beaches and tiki bars, seafood restaurants and fishing boats. We saw some of the nicest beaches ever:)

We went on our own once. It was ok but once was enough. We had a decent snorkel tour if don't take motor trouble into account. Our guide had to stop several times to work on the outboard motor. Then we nearly missed the last water taxi before final tender. Just a typical tour for us.:rolleyes:

So if I understand we can just take the water taxi to Caye Caulker and then hang out on the beach there? That is all I really want to do.

yes you can.

Two water taxis that go there. Check both scheduels and use the second choice as a back up.

once you get of the boat a golf cart taxi can take you to the split for cold beer by the bucket for $10us.

It's not a place for everyone. VERY laid back and low key. May be best to visit as part of a lunch stop on a snorkel tour. You typically get 1.5 hrs'ish on these tours for lunch and exploring. This gives you enough time to get a feel for the island and determine whether it would be something for you or not. Then on your next trip to Belize via cruise you can return via water taxi OR return for an extended land vacation trip.

If you enjoy just taking a boat ride consider the water taxi as part of your excursion. A nice and fairly inexpensive way to take a 30-45 min boat ride (don't quote me on the exact length of time) w/ no snorkeling. They allow you to bring drinks aboard so grab a beer at one of the shops right outside where you board the taxi. It's all what you make of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with cpayne about most everything. I have spent months on Caye Caulker over the past 30 years, sometimes staying for a month, sometimes a week and several times from a cruise ship. Caye Caulker is very laid back and one of the few places over the years that has made only gradual changes. Very refreshing! There are only sand streets and no huge hotels.....well, at least there weren't last time I was there about a year ago.

It is pretty easy to take a water taxi from the cruise port. There are three companies now making the 45 minute trip.

Caye Water Taxi: 8am, 10:30am return 11:30am, 1:30pm

San Pedro Belize Express: 8a, 9a, 10:30a; return 12p, 1:30p (closest to port)

San Pedro Water Taxi: 8a, 10:30a return 1:30p

Most charge $10 each way, or $17.50 round trip.

I will be on the Liberty departing Miami on Aug. 24th. At this time of year, ship's time is TWO HOURS later than Belize time, so it is very possible to catch the 8am, 9am, or even 10:30am water taxi. However, keep in mind you must return no later than the 1:30 pm (Belize time) water taxi. All departures after that time will get you back too late.

Once on Caye Caulker you can walk along the streets, go to the Split for some liquid refreshment, take yourself out for a nice lunch or arrange a boat trip out to Shark Ray Alley and the Coral Gardens. Or....you could do it all.

In my opinion Caye Caulker is much nicer than Ambergris Caye with all their cars, traffic and noise. Just saying.....

Caye Caulker is worth the bumpy boat ride. Have been there multiple times and enjoy the peace and quiet. Did use Coral Breeze Tours but had problems with them in April as they canceled our tour last minute leaving us scrambling. Also they now operate outside the tourism village and run smaller open top boat. They used to have a bigger partially covered boat called the Great White.

Not too sure who I would use to go back there in future. Also not too sure about use the water taxis as it is up to you to monitor your time.

We stopped at Caye Caulker on our last trip to Belize (via Coral Breeze) and I fell in love...and we didn't even leave the little restaurant area. I can't wait to go back, even by water taxi.

Is there snorkeling from shore anywhere in Caye Caulker?

I Once on Caye Caulker you can walk along the streets, go to the Split for some liquid refreshment, take yourself out for a nice lunch or arrange a boat trip out to Shark Ray Alley and the Coral Gardens. Or....you could do it all.

Pirate - is there snorkeling from the beach in Caye Caulker? We were there for lunch on our last trip (Coral Breeze snorkel tour) but never explored beyond the restaurant. This time I'd like to relax there for the day...wondering about the snorkel situation. Thanks!

We've been to San Pedro as part of a dive/snorkel excursion and it was wonderful. We took the small plane to the island and flew by Caye Caulker, which seemed very similar. We loved the sandy Caribbean beaches and tiki bars, seafood restaurants and fishing boats. We saw some of the nicest beaches ever:)

We are doing that exact same tour in a few weeks... Who did you guys use ? We are going with Ecotours and was hoping to get some recent reviews of how it was with them...?

Pirate - is there snorkeling from the beach in Caye Caulker? We were there for lunch on our last trip (Coral Breeze snorkel tour) but never explored beyond the restaurant. This time I'd like to relax there for the day...wondering about the snorkel situation. Thanks!

yes the best place is at the split. Food Beer and good swimming.

So are we the ONLY ones who had lunch with Wish Willy on Caye Caulker??? Oh, but you missed the most wonderful, one-of-a-kind experience. If you're going to Caye Caulker, research Wish Willy's and experience the home cooking over an outside grill! And Maurice, aka Wish Willy, is so interesting!!

So are we the ONLY ones who had lunch with Wish Willy on Caye Caulker??? Oh, but you missed the most wonderful, one-of-a-kind experience. If you're going to Caye Caulker, research Wish Willy's and experience the home cooking over an outside grill! And Maurice, aka Wish Willy, is so interesting!!

I second that. We eat there every chance we get.

yes the best place is at the split. Food Beer and good swimming.

Thanks. We will make our way there. Where is Wish Willy's compared to the Split or where the water taxi stop is? Last time we ate here...ImageUploadedByForums1375551369.924888.jpg.ee155a0dd73af1311a02d28ab37c4a93.jpg

And say some people wandering North towards what I assume is the split...ImageUploadedByForums1375551403.519096.jpg.1f7982d53d7e2dfac3c0c25f5ea16ea6.jpg

got this off the tsunami adventures website. they do snorkeling tour out of caye caulker for $35 pp for 3 hours as well

SNORKEL FOR FREE CAYE CAULKER

Posted on October 7, 2012 by heatherm

You wouldn’t think we would want to tell you about free snorkeling, when we have all these wonderful tours we want you to go on.

Well, we all want somethings for free. It certainly isn’t going to be as good as a one of our reef tours, however it will surely be fun and hopefully you will be able to see lots of marine life.

If you have your own snorkeling gear, then great, if you need fins, we have them for rental for only $5BZ or $2.50USD if you need the full set. Mask, Snorkel and Fins we rent all day for $5.00USD a set. If you want a week, then you pay for 5 days rental and get two days free. It’s not entirely free but a heck of a deal.

The best place to go Snorkeling for Free is at the split. I often recommend to people to start from the end of our dock and swim around there and then onwards towards the split over the Sea grass beds, where you will see sea stars and young corals. Swim down along the seagrass edge towards the split bar area, swim along the wall, tons of fish. Dive down and under the ledge there is a few nurse sharks hiding out. You may see some lobsters hiding in the cracks. Swim accross the split and snorkel through the mangroves. Lots of fish hiding out in the mangroves.

Be careful crossing the split. Look both ways twice and then swim across fairly fast and get to the side of the mangroves.

If you are a little more adventures, swim around the whole South island of Caye Caulker. Stay close to shore. We do not recommend swimming out to the reef with out a canoe or kayak and life jackets, as well as permission from the Caye Caulker Marine Reserve.

With a good eye you can spot hidden Sea Horses wrapped around the mangrove roots.

seahorse-at-split-300x211.jpgseahorse at split, Caye Caulker

16139-300x167.jpgjuvenile queen angel fish

If you have plenty of energy consider renting a canoe or kayak with a friend. We have double canoes and 1 double kayak for rental at Tsunami Office for $25USD all day or $7.50USD an hour. You can paddle out to the Reef, with permission of the Caye Caulker Marine Reserve and a $10BZD per person fee. So this pretty much defeats the purpose of FREE SNORKELING….but if you need more information about this, then you now know it is available

Hi Pirate and Delmar!

We will be joining you aboard the Liberty on the 24th and look forward to making our way to Caye Caulker via water taxi. We may try and do a snorkeling excursion or just head out on our own at the split. We are leaving it kind of loose as we may never make it past the bar...

If either of you are going to venture out on the water taxi, let me know if we can tag along or tag behind. Just want to make sure that I am doing it correctly.

We'd love to learn more about you both on our roll call thread...

Hope to meet you in a couple of weeks!

We also will be on the August 24 cruise with you!! I have contacted the water taxi company and that is the way we are going!! Looking forward to the Lazy Lizard bar and cheap buckets of beer LOL See you on board:)

We also will be on the August 24 cruise with you!! I have contacted the water taxi company and that is the way we are going!! Looking forward to the Lazy Lizard bar and cheap buckets of beer LOL See you on board:)

Which water taxi? I'm a little confused (and a little stressed) as it looks like 2 of the water taxis have merged. I read that since there is less competition, there is less urgency to stick to timetables. I can't remember which website I saw it on but it wasn't CC. I've heard nothing but good things on CC. Have you seen anything posted like this?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app