Temperature in Public Rooms during an Alaskan Cruise

Beach710

Sorry another temperature question. I’ve been on many warm weather cruises but have never a cruised to a cold weather destination like Alaska. I always freeze on cruise ships at night no matter the time of year.

Do they turn on the heat in the public rooms? Is the temperature about the same as the air-conditioned temperature on Caribbean cruises?

Thanks

I usually took a wrap in the evening. I though the DR and theatre were often cool. If you tend to get cold, I would definitely plan on a wrap/sweater in the evening. You can always take it off if you get too warm, but that didn't happen to me in Alaska!

Thanks for the responses. I understand layering is the key. I am trying to figure out the bottom layer. Not much room for packing extra clothes when the 'winter' clothes and rain gear take up so much room.

Thanks for the responses. I understand layering is the key. I am trying to figure out the bottom layer. Not much room for packing extra clothes when the 'winter' clothes and rain gear take up so much room.

I pack a short sleeve pullover plain cotton shirt for each day. I put these on under whatever else I'm wearing. That way you don't need so much in the way of the next layer. They don't take much space and always 1 clean for every day.

I am always cold no matter where or when. The interior of the ship was pretty comfortable for me most of the time in long pants/jeans and a long sleeve top (t shirt weight); occasionally needed a light jacket like a zip up hoodie.

However, I think a ship in port is similar to an airplane at the gate... The A/C doesn't work as well! The ship always seemed warmer when docked in port than when underway.

On our cruise a couple weeks ago the inside of the ship was a nice temperature. We only wore long sleeve t-shirts most of the cruise. Of course it got a little chilly walking across the Lido deck to the buffet when near the outdoor pool (on the Grand).

Otherwise, the ship was very comfortable. Definitely warm, not cold summer A/C. You could keep a light jacket on and should be fine, depending on weather conditions.

on sea days, i could comfortably wear shorts, a t-shirt, and flipflops, with the occasional jacket. out on deck is very chilly, and so are rooms that are close to the open decks (such as the buffet areas) but other than that, it feels very similar to the caribbean cruises.

Before finishing packing clothes for Alaska check the weather. It has been really warm, in fact hot in Alaska this summer. We went a few years ago and had warm weather. I was so glad I had packed shorts and T shirts.

Archived