Travelling with passenger under 21

Our group for our upcoming Freedom cruise will include one cabin with a guest over 21 and another guest aged 20. The twenty-year-old's parents will not be sailing. Do the parents of the twenty-year-old have to sign anything or write a letter giving permission to travel, or is nothing additional required because the twenty-year-old is over eighteen? Thanks.

Not what you're asking - since Freedom is here in the States, but for those that might search wondering about this caveat:

If you're sailing out of Europe and the 20 year old wants to be able to drink... yes, you would still need something from the parent.

I was able to do this when traveling with my (then) 18 year old niece.

Judy

Not what you're asking - since Freedom is here in the States, but for those that might search wondering about this caveat:

If you're sailing out of Europe and the 20 year old wants to be able to drink... yes, you would still need something from the parent.

Judy

I thought they had lowered the drinking age to 18 for European and South American markets, without any parental consent.

I would recommend that someone in the group have signed permission to make decisions in case of a medical emergency.

Is this even necessary if they are over 18? I would think not, since they are a legal adult.

It is prudent at any age to have someone who can make medical decisions when not traveling with a family member. My mother made that mistake at the age of 75. It took hours before they were able to contact us for permission to treat. Mom didn't recover.

As others say--you do not need anything.

Judy

This policy changed about a year ago--now anyone 18 and older can drink on a European cruise--no permission slips needed.

Archived