Dawn Review!

katcas

Just got off the Dawn yesterday. It was our first NCL cruise as we have sailed Carnival twice before. A little about us. We are a family of 5, 3 teenage boys, 18, 16, and 15. We traveled with 3 other families with kids the same ages. There were a total of 7 adults and 9 teens.

We live about 30 minutes from the Black Falcon Terminal and we arrived there about 11:30. We were on the ship by 12:30, it was a breeze, no problems. I like the whole not flying deal.

We went to the buffet and had lunch. Our rooms were ready by 1:00.

Our fist day at sea became very rocky. I was awoken at 3:30 by some serious jolting and never went back to sleep. The ship was creaking and rocking. The next day was extremely rocky, in fact, they were not allowing chairs on the deck due to the winds. A lot of people walking like they were drunk, including myself. People were banging into each other and walls and whatever else. I did not feel well and took a Dramamine and it helped immensely. Soon, my husband did not feel well and actually got sick. He took some Dramamine also which helped him too. We sat out at the Bimi Bar by the pool and soon our whole group was there and by 3ish, the ship wasn't rocking as much and as the night progressed and got better. They started allowing chairs on the pool by about 1.

By Sunday we were in Bermuda. We were supposed to arrive at 11 but we arrived at 8 instead-bonus! We purchased our bus passes and took the express charter to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Gorgeous beach. We rented two chairs and an umbrella and planted ourselves. Our friends met us there and ended up taking a cab. Wrong idea. It was $100, my friend haggled him down to $77 with the deal he would pick them up and take them to the caves, they would walk to the Swizzle Inn from there and then he would pick them up from the Swizzle Inn. It was an expensive day for them. We were skipping the caves and planned to meet them at the Swizzle Inn at 3. We took the bus back to Hamilton and then another bus to the Swizzle Inn and still arrived before them. I guess they got a really long tour guide at the caves and the did not meet us until 3:50.

The next day in Bermuda our family did the jet ski tour with Somerset Bridge Watersports. We took a cab there which they paid for. Our cab driver was so friendly and cave us a little history lesson on the Dockyard. The jet ski tour was awesome and I would highly recommend this company. Very professionally done and they only take 6 jet skis at a time. We got two doubles and a single. We took the bus back to the Dockyard (again we had to take two buses). We walked around the Dockyard for a while and then called it a day. My husband and I did get off the ship in the evening after dinner and went to the Frog and Onion for a couple of drinks. Nice bar with a band that was playing. We sat outside.

On our last day in Bermuda we took the ferry to St George. We were informed the night before that all the bus and cab drivers would be striking from 9:30-12:30 and to plan accordingly. The ferry to St George was not involved in this so it didn't affect us. They did have a charter to take people to Horseshoe Bay Beach though.

We went to Tobacco Bay beach. It was not what I expected. It is a little cove area. The sand had a lot of debris in it. However, the view is beautiful and the snorkeling was amazing. I made the mistake of saying I like Horseshoe Bay better and this teenager overheard me and agreed with me and then went on and on bitching to her parents about how she hated it there and she wanted to leave. We all finally walked away as did her mother because she wouldn't shut up. Anyway, we had a great day. They have a beach bar where we ate lunch and had a drink. The woman was really friendly that worked there. We had to get the 2:15 ferry back as that was the last one so there was no time for shopping. St George is a cute town with lots of cute shops.

Back on the ship for sail-away and it was smooth sailing all the way home.

For dining, we went to the main dining room-The Venetian- twice. Many people were tuned away for wearing shorts and flip flops. Men have to wear pants and a collard shirt. Food was great. The second night we went to dinner early to we could catch a couple of shows. We got there early, at 5:30. Now the night before when it was much busier, they had no problem sitting all 9 kids together and all 7 adults together. The second night when we walked in, there was just a few people there and they told us those were all for reservations. It was such a big tadoo to sit us at two tables that they sat us at 3. We had a horrible waiter that did not seem to know what the heck he was doing. Halfway through dinner, we had a new waiter who apologized to us and told us our waiter Junior went to take a nap. Anyway, that whole experience turned us off from the Venetian and we went to Aqua the rest of the time. The kids were happy to be able to wear shorts and we never had to wait too long and they were always able to have the kids sit together and the adults sit together.

I guess I don't understand the whole "any time dining" Seems most people make reservations which defeats the whole purpose I think. We made reservations once but never had a problem being seated when we didn't.

The food was always great with the exception of the roasted turkey that my two friends ordered, they did not like it.

We ate breakfast once in the Venetian which was very nice. Otherwise, we did the buffet which was also good. They serve the same stuff everyday so you need to mix it up a little. The omelets were really good.

My family had reservations for Cagneys one night at 8:30. While the food was amazing, the service was very poor. They did not seat us until 8:45 and we did not get our fist appetizer until 9:25. When our food came, we had our sides, (potatoes, veggies, that sort of stuff). Our sides did not come until we finished our meals and looking around, we were the only table that happened too. Horrible horrible service but amazing food. I would not go back due to the service although, I think it was just our waiter.

We did a few shows. The comedian, Tim Kominski was hilarious. Unfortunately for those sailing soon, he is taking a month off and this was his last cruise until lat August. We also saw two Second City shows which were also really funny. I forget what else we did, I would have to look at my dailys to remember.

Anyway, it was a great cruise. There are good and bad with NCL just as there were with Carnival. I wouldn't hesitate to sail either again.

Oh, our rooms. We had a balcony room 10678 and our kids were in an inside room 10667. Great location, never hear a sound.

Any questions, let me know. I have all my dailes.

Kathy

Thanks for your detailed review, especially the tip about the bus passes. We will be taking this cruise for Spring Break next year, so I was excited to read your tips.

I have been fortunate to always have great service in the specialty restaurants, and hit-and-miss in the regular dining rooms. I think I would have complained in Cagney's. :( We actually left one of the regular dining rooms on the Epic after waiting 45 minutes at our table to have our order taken! You just never know.

The reason that I like any time dining is because one night I can eat at 6:30, and the next night at 5:30 (depending on my plans for the evening or what I did during the day). I often make reservations myself to make sure that a long wait is not going to hold up my evening.

Not crazy crowded at all. We have traveled over Thanksgiving week twice and did not find this cruise any more crowded.

I think you are right about the hit or miss. We had two bad service, one at Cagney's and one a the Venetian. I am not one to complain so we just moved on.

I did like picking what time we ate each night. I also like having a set time like on Carnival because you have the same wait staff and really get to know them.

As I said, I would sail NCL again as I would Carnival. A vacation is a vacation!

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We will be on the Dawn August 23rd, can't wait. We have visited Bermuda many times, but this will be our first time cruising there. We have been on Carnival and Royal but never NCL, so we are excited to try it. How long is the Ferry ride to St. George? Do they still have the shuttle bus to Tobacco Bay?

The ferry ride to St George is about 45 minutes.

Not sure about a charter. We never saw it. We walked. It was about

A 15 minute walk.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that we could make reservations for dinner in the regular restaurants. We were planning to eat dinners around 8:00 - 8:30, did you happen to notice if they were crowded around those times. Sorry for all the questions. :)

Maria

Maria, no worries about the question, ask as many ad you need to.

If you are planning on eating that late, you should be fine. As I said, we only

had to wait a short time and there were 16 of us.

Reservations to MDRs are possible usually only for large groups (8 pax and up) and for those having the concierge service (suite and VIP-passengers and those being Platinums on Latitudes program). How strict they are about that might vary a bit depending on the shIp but the company policy I think is still that no reservations are taken to MDRs those exceptions excluded.

We were on the same cruise. Our Cagney's experience was somewhat different with very attentive service and timely courses. Still writing the review. Loved the Venetian with good service most days, last day service not so good.

Thx for all th great info.. We are six in our party... Can you elaborate on express charter .. Times? We had heard cab was about $30 to beach and thought it might be a better way to go.. Now not sure...

How much was it to rent chairs etc?

What about the jet ski company... Someone you found at dock or ship arranged?

I hear that it is cheaper to wait and book things like that on your own when you arrive instead of through ship..

Again thx for all the info :)

We're doing this cruise on July 26th. We will have 15 in our group. Sorry to hear that the comedian, Tom K., is taking a vacation. I was looking forward to his show from all the reports on CC. Oh, well, it won't ruin my trip.

We have been to Bermuda several times and always buy the bus/ferry pass. It is a great bargain and really convenient. Cash only though. They won't take credit cards to pay for the passes. Three day is now $35 per pass.

Continuing to count down the days till we sail. Hoping for smooth waters and no storms.

We are planning two beach days with one day at st george's.. Do you think it is still worth it? 35 x 6=210

I was figuring cabs two days round trip for 6=$120 and $50 for ferry ... Ttl $170

Not sure if I have correct info though on prices ... Any help would be appreciated

Birthday Cruisers,

We like the convenience of the pass. You can get on and off the bus as often as you want if you decide you want to stop and see Gibbs Lighthouse. That is really near Horseshoe Beach and interesting to go and visit but dangerous to walk along the road since the roads are narrow and traffic moves right along. The view can't be beat. In St. George, you can catch a bus and go out to St. David's Parrish and ride around to see lots of the island. One time, my DD and I just got on the bus and took a scenic ride. It was great. Each time you exit the bus, you have to repay to get back on and travel somewhere else without the pass. There are tokens you can buy also for the bus and there is a book of 15 tickets for $30 that is also available. You can pay cash on the bus but must have coins. They don't take dollar bills. Lots of options for transportation around the island but, to us, the best is the pass. It is just so easy to show it to the driver and get on.

The jet ski company, Somerset Bridge Watersports, is a bus ride away from the Dockyard, not really too far. You can find information on them on their website. Just search for their name. We have a 10 person pontoon boat and a 6 passenger Boston Whaler reserved for the Sunday we arrive for four hours. We are planning on boating around and poking in and out of the many harbors. They give you bread to feed the fish near a sunken ship. You can beach the boats and have a picnic on small island beaches around the area. They supply you with a map and a cell phone for any emergency. We have never done this before and are really looking forward to out adventure.

Great review!

We were on the same cruise and also bought the bus/ferry passes. We got 2day passes for 2 adults/2kids for $75 total. Went to the caves, then St George's on Sunday. DH and I have been to Bermuda several times so we basically wanted to show our 2 youngest the "key" sites. On Mon, DD did dolphin quest and then we took the ferry to Hamilton and spent the rest of the day there. Our last day, DH and DD took a snorkel cruise while son and I sat on the beach at Snorkel Park. Btw I was able to get free wifi from the Fun Golf place that is right next to snorkel park :)

As for the ship itself, our kids normally enjoy the kids club but they were bored this time. They are turning 13 I'm a couple of weeks but had to go into the 10-12 program, more 10's than 12. They never went back after the 1st day.

On the first night, we were tired (drove 4hours to Boston that morning) so we decided on a quick dinner at Blue Lagoon. Service was terrible (one waitress for all tables) and food was so-so. After that, we stuck with Aqua. The menu had a varied selection and the food was good.

We enjoyed all the shows and had a blast at Dancing with the Stars!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are planning two beach days with one day at st george's.. Do you think it is still worth it? 35 x 6=210

I was figuring cabs two days round trip for 6=$120 and $50 for ferry ... Ttl $170

Not sure if I have correct info though on prices ... Any help would be appreciated

Here's how I put it together:

• Taxi fare for 6 passengers for 2 round trips Horseshoe Bay <> Dockyard: $66.00 per each round trip, and if one day is a Sunday add a 25% surcharge to that fare. (66+66+??= $132+??)
  • ferry fare (tokens) for 6 passengers for round trip Dockyard <> St George: 6 X $4.00 X 2 = $48.00

Since the ferry to SG does not run on Sunday, your trip there will have to be on a Monday or Tuesday which means one of your beach days will be on a Sunday. Add $17.00 surcharge to taxi fare. Since you've posted to a Dawn review thread, I'm assuming you will be traveling on the Dawn.

You could save some on the ferry fare by buying a book of tickets and sharing the tickets among your group. A book of 15 tickets costs $30.00.

If you're 100% certain that your group will only do 2 round trip taxi rides and 1 round trip ferry ride, then I would not buy the Transportation Passes.

But, my estimate on the taxi fares does not include tips which may turn it to favor Transportation Passes.

BTW, I think your estimates for the cabs was really good.

SBtS

gymmonkeymomma-Loved Dancing with the Stars. It was actually my friends son that won! It was hysterical.

Here are the prices for the bus passes

Adult one day-$15 child under 16 one day $7.50

2 day- $25 2 day$12.50

3 day-$$35 3 day $17.50

I had a 16 year old and I bought him a child one.

I am not sure which beach you are going to but my friend took cab to horseshoe bay beach, there where 11 of them and it was $100, she was able to talk him down in price but he carted them around all day at additional prices.

We are a family of 5 and it cost me $140 for a 3 day pass and think it was worth it.

I don't know how what times the express charter works. We got off the boat at 9, bought our bus passes and asked the girl how to get to horseshoe bay and she pointed to the charter. We did not take it back though because we were going to the Swizzle Inn. Maybe someone else can help out there.

Renting a chair was $11 and an umbrella was something close to that also. You have to put a $5 deposit down for each thing you rent and when you return them, you get the deposit back.

I would definitely book thinks on your own. I found Somerset Bridge Watersports just from my research on CC and on trip advisor-they got great reviews.

My friends did a private snorkeling tour, there 11 of them and they where the only ones on it as it holds 14. They had a great time, I believe it was from 1-4. I will have to ask them who they used. I can't believe I don't remember as I set them up with the company!

I agree about the service. Our service was exceptional aside from those two episodes I mentioned, did not ruin our trip though!

Archived