First time in Bermuda.....where to go for non-beach people?!?!?

dobes3kh

Hello!

We are going to be cruising next weekend!!! and we've never been to Bermuda. We are definitely not beach-goers and we don't snorkel either.

So, what do those who have been to Bermuda recommend? We are interested in taking the bus and/or the ferry, maybe a bit of shopping, some sightseeing (historical and sampling the local flavour) catching some lunch/drink with a fabulous view etc.

Any boating excursion recommendations? (preferably not speed demons!!!!) Just something relaxed

Looking forward to your responses!!! BTW, we're there for 2 overnights.

Cheers!

Thanks for the response Zigggypup.

Have never found Frommers guides exceptionally useful. I think we're looking for recommendations that are fairly recent and more personal.

Cheers!

Hello!

We are going to be cruising next weekend!!! and we've never been to Bermuda. We are definitely not beach-goers and we don't snorkel either.

So, what do those who have been to Bermuda recommend? We are interested in taking the bus and/or the ferry, maybe a bit of shopping, some sightseeing (historical and sampling the local flavour) catching some lunch/drink with a fabulous view etc.

Any boating excursion recommendations? (preferably not speed demons!!!!) Just something relaxed

Cheers!

There is a 'to do' list here; in the linked to post, there is a link that will take you to a printable map that includes bus & ferry routes and the locations of many of the attractions.

SBtS

Thanks for the response Zigggypup.

Have never found Frommers guides exceptionally useful. I think we're looking for recommendations that are fairly recent and more personal.

Cheers!

Really? I've been using them for years all over the world and found them to be very helpful. Always found them to be an asset. But to each his own. Good luck.

Really? I've been using them for years all over the world and found them to be very helpful. Always found them to be an asset. But to each his own. Good luck.

Yep! Completely useless for Sweden and Ireland (2 different trips).

I find it's always better to read people's experiences.....provides a better perspective.

There is a 'to do' list here; in the linked to post, there is a link that will take you to a printable map that includes bus & ferry routes and the locations of many of the attractions.

SBtS

Thanks for the info!

Hello!

Cheers!

For not beaches off the top of my head.

St. George. Walk around look at shops, Unfinished Church, etc. Watch dunking. Have lunch and drinks on the wharf at the Tavern by the Sea, nice view. Fort St. Catherine.

Hamilton. Walk around, shops. Fort Hamilton. Hog Penny or Flanigans for food and drink. Waterfront Park. Bermudas Historical Museum and the park behind. Carriage Ride.

Crystal Caves. Original Swizzle Inn for food and drinks.

Gibbs Lighthouse.

Dockyard. Rum Cakes, Glass Blowing, local artists studios. Maritime Museum. Frog and Onion or Bonefish or Freeport Seafood.

Flatts Village. The Aquarium is there.

Even if you don't use the beaches I suggest a walk of Horseshoe or Warwick. They are gorgeous to see.

For not beaches off the top of my head.

St. George. Walk around look at shops, Unfinished Church, etc. Watch dunking. Have lunch and drinks on the wharf at the Tavern by the Sea, nice view. Fort St. Catherine.

Hamilton. Walk around, shops. Fort Hamilton. Hog Penny or Flanigans for food and drink. Waterfront Park. Bermudas Historical Museum and the park behind. Carriage Ride.

Crystal Caves. Original Swizzle Inn for food and drinks.

Gibbs Lighthouse.

Dockyard. Rum Cakes, Glass Blowing, local artists studios. Maritime Museum. Frog and Onion or Bonefish or Freeport Seafood.

Flatts Village. The Aquarium is there.

Even if you don't use the beaches I suggest a walk of Horseshoe or Warwick. They are gorgeous to see.

Thank you Charles4515! That is exactly what i'm looking for. I've heard about the Crystal Caves.....just might give that a try. Have you been?

My husband would probably be interested in Fort Hamilton. Has anyone been there?

Where is the Dockyard?

Feedback on Bermuda's Historical Museum?

Thanks!

....... I've heard about the Crystal Caves.....just might give that a try......

My husband would probably be interested in Fort Hamilton. Has anyone been there?

Where is the Dockyard?

The Dockyard is the area at the west end of Bermuda where cruise ships dock at either King's Wharf or Heritage Wharf.

I've only done the other cave, Fantasy Cave. My standard reply is that if you've done caves in the US or Canada then doing one in Bermuda is not a must do.

Fort Hamilton is nice. From the ramparts you have an excellent view of Hamilton and the harbor. If you do FH, make sure you walk the moat.

If your husband is interested in Fort Hamilton, he should also consider a visit to Fort Scaur which is closer to where you'll be docked.

SBtS

The Dockyard is the area at the west end of Bermuda where cruise ships dock at either King's Wharf or Heritage Wharf.

I've only done the other cave, Fantasy Cave. My standard reply is that if you've done caves in the US or Canada then doing one in Bermuda is not a must do.

Fort Hamilton is nice. From the ramparts you have an excellent view of Hamilton and the harbor. If you do FH, make sure you walk the moat.

If your husband is interested in Fort Hamilton, he should also consider a visit to Fort Scaur which is closer to where you'll be docked.

SBtS

Thanks for the info STtS. We are considering the cave; husband did one in Ireland (I waited outside--motion sickness from the bus!!!) so I would like to do at least one in my lifetime!

Thanks for the info STtS. We are considering the cave; husband did one in Ireland (I waited outside--motion sickness from the bus!!!) so I would like to do at least one in my lifetime!

If it is once in a lifetime, then I say do one or the other. I did Fantasy Cave, got there early, and had only 8 in our tour group. Just so you'll know, you have to walk down 88 cement steps to enter the cave, and of course, back up.

SBtS

If it is once in a lifetime, then I say do one or the other. I did Fantasy Cave, got there early, and had only 8 in our tour group. Just so you'll know, you have to walk down 88 cement steps to enter the cave, and of course, back up.

SBtS

Thanks for the info SBtS. Going down the steps will surely be easier than going back up!!! Good to do it early.

Have recently decided that a Bermuda cruise is in the offering for 2014. All of your suggestions for excursions, other than beaches, are very helpful and I look forward to reading others points of view as well. Has anyone taken the glass bottom boat out to the Bermuda Triangle to see the fish at night? Just wondering if it's worth the money. Thanks.

We just got back and also wanted to see more than the beaches. We were chatting with a man who drove the train which carries folks from the ships to the areas around the dockyard. He told us to take ask one of the taxi drivers to take us on a tour of the island. There were four of us and it cost $40 per person for four hours. Not only did we get a narrated tour but we weren't crushed in a bus. It was a lovely van complete with a/c which you will need at this time of the year. He was so very knowledgable about the island and answered our many questions. He also told us where the good shopping might be and gave us ample time to stop and view anything along the way that we wanted to spend more time. This is definitely the way to go. It's not rushed and it's very up close and personal per se. This way you can customize your own tour.

Have recently decided that a Bermuda cruise is in the offering for 2014. All of your suggestions for excursions, other than beaches, are very helpful and I look forward to reading others points of view as well. Has anyone taken the glass bottom boat out to the Bermuda Triangle to see the fish at night? Just wondering if it's worth the money. Thanks.

Would a "to do" list be of any help? Also, in the post linked to, there is a link to a printable map which shows bus and ferry routes plus the locations of many of the attractions.

HTH

SBtS

Would a "to do" list be of any help? Also, in the post linked to, there is a link to a printable map which shows bus and ferry routes plus the locations of many of the attractions.

HTH

SBtS

You are the best! Thank you so much for your post - very informative, lots of ideas. :)

Archived