Seattle - Underground Tour

cruisinlawn

anyone done this? how was it? We'll have an afternoon pre-cruise and thinking about it. Being an underground tour, is the air temp significantly cooler? We've visited other sites on previous visits but have never done this, though contemplated many times. TIA. :)

anyone done this? how was it? We'll have an afternoon pre-cruise and thinking about it. Being an underground tour, is the air temp significantly cooler? We've visited other sites on previous visits but have never done this, though contemplated many times. TIA. :)

I'm a local and I've done it a couple of times. I enjoyed it a lot, and I usually recommend it to folks who visit me here. They tell you a lot about Seattle's history, and make it entertaining (that's not hard--there were some real characters here back then!) There are a few corny jokes here and there, but on a scale where 10 is the Ride the Ducks Tour, the Underground Tour probably only rates a 3 or 4 in silliness. They used to have just one tour, and some of the stories were mildly PG-rated ("seamstresses" who didn't sew, and the like), but nowadays they have two tours--a G-rated Underground Tour, and another version (the Underworld Tour) that's for grownups only and gets more into all the sin and scandal.

It shouldn't be a whole lot cooler in the underground than it is outside--it's not that far underground, or that well sealed off. Do wear comfortable shoes--no high heels--and be prepared to climb some stairs.

Thanks Casa, very helpful. This will fit nicely in our schedule. We'll be staying at H'wood Suite, Pike St. Isn't Pike Grocery right there near hotel? Lastly, dinner...we've located Cheesecake Factory but not thrilled as we can go there anytime while at home. I've researched and found those a little more upscale but nothing really jumps out. Any thoughts? TIA:)

this is the dining thread where many suggestions were made...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1834478

Thanks Casa, very helpful. This will fit nicely in our schedule. We'll be staying at H'wood Suite, Pike St. Isn't Pike Grocery right there near hotel? Lastly, dinner...we've located Cheesecake Factory but not thrilled as we can go there anytime while at home. I've researched and found those a little more upscale but nothing really jumps out. Any thoughts? TIA:)

Not sure what you mean by Pike Grocery...if it's Pike Place Market, then you're reasonably close--about 10-11 blocks, straight down Pike.

It would help if you could narrow down the kinds of food you like. Seafood is one of Seattle's strengths, but there are some great restaurants of many kinds. Asian food (Thai, Vietnamese, and maybe Japanese) can be particularly good here. Do you prefer something fairly predictable like Cheesecake Factory, or would you try something a little more adventurous? Do you want to stay downtown, or would you do a short cab ride somewhere a little farther out? Any likes and dislikes or limitations (special diet, stuff you hate, etc.)? And roughly how upscale is your idea of upscale?

Not sure what you mean by Pike Grocery...if it's Pike Place Market, then you're reasonably close--about 10-11 blocks, straight down Pike.

It would help if you could narrow down the kinds of food you like. Seafood is one of Seattle's strengths, but there are some great restaurants of many kinds. Asian food (Thai, Vietnamese, and maybe Japanese) can be particularly good here. Do you prefer something fairly predictable like Cheesecake Factory, or would you try something a little more adventurous? Do you want to stay downtown, or would you do a short cab ride somewhere a little farther out? Any likes and dislikes or limitations (special diet, stuff you hate, etc.)? And roughly how upscale is your idea of upscale?

food is so subjective, we're going to just stick with your original suggestions and pick one. Pike Grocery is supposed to be a grocery very near to H'wood, not to be confused with the Pike Place Mkt. This is Pike Grocery... http://www.pikegrocery.com/

Thanks for all the help. We'll definitely hit the Underground Tour. Enjoy

We did the underground tour about twelve years ago when we stayed three days post cruise. It was the day of the all star game and we ventured up to the park first and I checked on the price of tickets. Scalpers were asking $1,000 per ticket for the game.

The underground tour cost much less!;)

We did the Underground Tour several years ago. Had a wonderful time. Interesting stories and was pretty cool to see the old pictures from where you were standing. Nice way to pass the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Live in Seattle, have enjoyed how unique the underground tour is . . . any visitors we have taken with us really enjoy it also. I think you are staying at Homewood Suites . . Pike Grocery is not the famous Pike Place Market which is 10 city blocks west of your hotel, would be fine to walk down to the market but you are going to want to take a cab back unless you are use to mountain climbing, quite a hill. Places to eat that are unique to Seattle: By Pike Place Market - Lowell's in the market - was in the film Sleepless in Seattle. Just a block east from your hotel is an absolutely fabulous tapas restaurant called Tango, make a reservation.

Hi to all...we just returned home from our 10 days away. Some in our group did enjoy the Underground. IMO it's one of those been there, done it kind of places but I would recommend anyone visiting Seattle to experience it. With limited time, there is just too much to see to repeat:).

Yes, we stayed at H'wood Suites, Pike St. Hotel was fine and would stay again, only beware that you unload from shuttle street side and schelp luggage into hotel lobby. Although, once bellhop spotted us he was very willing to help.

Pike Grocery is the little shop right at hotel and very convenient for last minute needs. We did walk to Market as well as on the return. Didn't think the hill was bad at all. The first 6 blocks appear near flat with the last three slightly uphill. Far different from our last visit when we venture up Stewart (or Virginia) St back to Westlake. That was a killer hill. Can only imagine running a marathon in your beautiful city of hills.

We ended up dining at the Crab Pot, waterfront. Service and food good, no problems though wished we would have held out for Tango or Lowell's but some were starving.

Also, we used Seattle Express for all transfers. They were flawless and would definitely use again as well as recommend without hesitation.

Want to thank all for the input. Already looking forward to our next brief visit. Enjoy

Archived