internet as we leave? Will it be available? Will I have cell? Have to send work email

HI everyone! I posted this on the port forum and since the Carnival site is not working for me at the moment, thought I would post it here too :)

I have a slight problem. I need to send an email out at 5pm the day we leave, I could push it up to 4:30 but the closer to 5 the better. I know you all will say you are on vacation, turn that thing off! I can, AS SOON as I send that e-mail :)

We will be leaving Port Canaveral at 4pm.

First, how long would you guess once leaving port will my cell work? I have an iPhone on ATT with the mobile hot spot. When I am at airports, in the car, etc. I use my hot spot from my phone to get internet on my laptop.

I have another question then...

I am fine with spending 1 or 2 minutes of roaming, however will I be able to use the mobile hot spot? Do hotspots work while roaming in international waters?

OR

I guess I could quickly use the ships internet as a last resort and have my email ready to go on a thumb drive? Will the internet cafe be available at that time? I know most people will be partying but I have to get that email out. If this helps, we will be on the Sensation.

Also, would you recommend I go to the internet cafe or use the internet in my room? Which would be faster? I don't even know if you can get Carnival wifi in the room. I never use internet on the cruise, I don't like to, I am on vacation! But this is different :( My job is what pays me so I can cruise :D

To explain a little more, without too many details, I am officially "off" work at 5 on the day we leave. Technically I am still working up until 5. Therefore I was trying to send out my email as close to 5 as possible. However, I could send it at 4:30. I am waking up super early that morning to get all my work done before we head to port (I work from home).

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

You can use your cell phone email until it clicks over into roaming. Very often ships will leave say 1/2 hour late and take awhile before getting off access from cell tower.

To be safe you can purchase internet access on the ship based on the number of minutes you actually use it.

Hope this helps.

I had about an hour and a half of service out of MIA in January on Verizon. Verizon has a better range (CDMA vs. GSM) than ATT. My guess is by 4:30 you will be OK, but you certainly will be on slower data.

The mobile hotspot I think will work on the ship, but obviously be quite expensive. It will also be 1x speed or so, so that email may take you 5+ minutes to send depending on attachments, etc.

But I think you should be OK if you are planning to send it at 4:30.

My husbands cell usually work for about 2 hours after we leave port, but after that he shuts it down until we get back, so I don't know about roaming. I always buy the internet plan, because I need to be connected due to family and most importantly the dogs. I usually need to check bank account and usually pay day falls when we are gone, I pay bills on the cruise. Now that I have an Ipad I usually connect in our room, as it is more convenient. I don't think the speed is any better in Internet cafe than by using wi-fi through the ship. The last cruise we were on I had to check on email before we left, and was able to buy time and use it before we left.

HI everyone! I posted this on the port forum and since the Carnival site is not working for me at the moment, thought I would post it here too :)

I have a slight problem. I need to send an email out at 5pm the day we leave, I could push it up to 4:30 but the closer to 5 the better. I know you all will say you are on vacation, turn that thing off! I can, AS SOON as I send that e-mail :)

We will be leaving Port Canaveral at 4pm.

First, how long would you guess once leaving port will my cell work? I have an iPhone on ATT with the mobile hot spot. When I am at airports, in the car, etc. I use my hot spot from my phone to get internet on my laptop.

I have another question then...

I am fine with spending 1 or 2 minutes of roaming, however will I be able to use the mobile hot spot? Do hotspots work while roaming in international waters?

OR

I guess I could quickly use the ships internet as a last resort and have my email ready to go on a thumb drive? Will the internet cafe be available at that time? I know most people will be partying but I have to get that email out. If this helps, we will be on the Sensation.

Also, would you recommend I go to the internet cafe or use the internet in my room? Which would be faster? I don't even know if you can get Carnival wifi in the room. I never use internet on the cruise, I don't like to, I am on vacation! But this is different :( My job is what pays me so I can cruise :D

To explain a little more, without too many details, I am officially "off" work at 5 on the day we leave. Technically I am still working up until 5. Therefore I was trying to send out my email as close to 5 as possible. However, I could send it at 4:30. I am waking up super early that morning to get all my work done before we head to port (I work from home).

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

When are you going on your cruise

Thank you everyone, this was very helpful!

When are you going on your cruise

July 17th, almost single digits!

What type of email program do you have? Why not write you email early, and set it to send at 5:00.

it is an internal system, not your typical Outloook, or other large email program. The internal system has very little functions. I can only send, delete, and check my trash! I can't even add a signature!

Just so you know, thumb drives will not work on ships internet stations.

This is correct. Also, the ship's wifi is not secure. I don't know how confidential your email needs to be. This is why it should not be considered safe for accessing your bank account, etc.

Archived