Road to Hana on a Harley

brisby2

Has anyone ever done the Road to Hana on a Harley. We are going on the Wind 9/14 and are thinking of doing this. Wondering whether to make a reservation now or wait until we get there. If we make the reservation ahead what happens if its a rainy day?

Is there anyplace in Lahaina where you can get a lunch to go or are there places along the road to stop?

Doing the Road to Hana on a Harley might be tough - a lot of tight turns to make and with a heavy bike like a Harley, might be kind of tiring. Though parking will be easy. :) I recommend stopping in Paia at the start of the road to pick up picnic lunches.

Spleen

We have been riding for years and would have had no problem doing Hana on a bike. We have done the entire Blue Ridge and the Skyline Drive as well. We thought it would have been great to be on our Harleys. Having said that, it is VERY narrow with LOTS of curves and you will have to be very cautious of other drivers. That might make the drive less fun, as you will have to pay very close attention to what you are doing, instead of looking at the view. Of course you need to be careful in a car as well, but IMO much more so on a bike. If its a rainy day...absoulutely not. So you would probably not want to rent ahead of time if its not refundable. The folks at the Harley dealership were very nice, but not sure how they would feel about being flexable with weather.

We picked up lunch and drinks and smoothies at The Hana Bay Juice Company in Paia. VEry good and it came with a cooler for a $5 deposit...refundable when you brought their cooler back. Gas station right next door...not much in the way of gas on the Hana highway.

Anita

If I ever had to do that road again, it would NOT be on a Harley (as someone said, too many turns), and I would not go ALL the way. I'd go a short distance and turn around. Hana is not the pot at the end of the rainbow. I still remember the four of us going, "Huh? This is it?" All that time wasted just to turn around and do it in reverse.

The Road to Hana IS the reason for going to Hana. We even enjoyed our time in Hana...looked thru the hardware store and had great icecream cones at the Ranch Resturant. We loved every bit of it, including the ride back. And we did it in one day, going to the Old L Luau that evening. No regrets. But we did start early, and we were VERY organized. We had a list of the stops we wanted to make, including the mile markers to look for. The Harley thing is a personl choice. I have heard some folks say they would not drive (in a car) the road themselves, as it would frighten them....We were not the least bit intimidated, but I can see where someone who is not comfortable with driving those types of roads could be a little spooked.

Archived