FTTF and wheelchair asst. boarding ?

dixieva

I might have asked this question before but don't remember the answer and couldn't find the thread:confused: so here goes again.

My older sister needs wheelchair assistance boarding. She is fine once on board just cannot walk up the boarding ramp so we always get wheelchair assistance from the crew for her.

We just bought FTTF for our cruise coming up in Nov. So how is that going to work? Usually there is a wait for someone to come with a chair for her so with the FTTF will she be able to get on with the first group boarding. Will they have a chair waiting for her?

Thanks for the help.

We always found it easier to bring our own wheelchair and just store it in the cabin. My father requires a wheelchair every day and we rent a scooter for onboard the ship so he can get around on his own. He is still listed as needing assistance for boarding and this way we aren't waiting around for an available wheelchair.

Let them know when you arrive that you need WC assist and are Priority.

At the very least you will be able to get to your cabin right away.

I see this as most logical. No, they will not be just waiting for one person. They will be assisting others as they arrive.

What is the plan once on board as far as walking distance goes? What is the plan when you get to a port?

Sounds like bringing a w/c or renting a scooter would be a good idea.

She doesn't need a wheelchair for getting around anywhere and never has used one at home. She is 83 and is in good shape but that ramp is just too much for her. It's that long walk and all up hill that gets to her. So bringing a chair or scooter is not needed when all she really needs is to get up that ramp. I appreciate all of the advice. Guess we'll find out how it works with FTTF when you need wheelchiar assistance in boarding.

She has cruised with us twice a year for the last several years and has only needed assistance in boarding. The day will come when she needs her own chair or scooter but not yet.

Archived