Skagway??

zojmn151

We're in the process of booking our excursions in the various ports, but haven't quite figured out what to do in Skagway.

Ideas? What is a "must"? What to avoid?

Was considering the White pass RR, but have read that it isn't that great? Would a different independent tour be better?

thanks!!!

We did an independent tour with Dyea Dave up to Emerald Lake and had an amazing day.

Here is a link to that day on my blog, with lots of photos: SKAGWAY

Many people do love the train, but we are glad we did not take it. We had done the Alaska RR train from Anchorage to Seward, and my husband said he had fun but once was enough.

There are so many things to do in Skagway - here is a site that might give you more ideas www.cruiseportinsider.com The town's claim to fame is the gold rush of 98 when the stampeders made their way to the Yukon gold fields via either the White or Chilkoot Passes/Trails. The railroad made the White Pass route easier.

As for the train - well if you are a train buff or appreciate engineering feats then it should not be missed - even if it is just a one way trip between Skagway and Fraser combined with a bus trip further up into the Yukon or simply back down the hill to Skagway.

There are some good hiking opportunities along with some touristy places like Liarsville, the Gold Dredge and 40 Below. There is a horseback ride out to Dyea a ghost town and the start of the Chilkoot Trail. For modern thrill seekers there are two zipline adventures as well as rafting and kayaking along with helicopter rides to the ice fields above the town.

Look into things that interest you and not what interests others.

its pricey like 115 plus gas from avis but same as taking a tour and we can choose where to stop.. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g155047-d3339616-Reviews-Emerald_Lake-Whitehorse_Yukon.html

For trip planning purposes, take the reviews at that link with a huge grain of salt. Notably, there are no washrooms at Emerald Lake and the parking lot is huge.

We had a great time renting bikes and exploring on our own. The shop was within walking distance and due to a light drizzle at times we were only ones per shop that came in that day. We rode through town seeing some neat buildings and houses then slightly out of town to gold miners cemetery. It was pretty easy terain. At cemetery we left bikes locked to a tree and hiked to a gorgeous waterfall. We then went back through town to a trail that ran along the coast. It got pretty difficult so we walkes a bit if it and went down to beautiful deserted beaches and watched the fog roll in and out. The forests and trails were gorgeous and we got a great view of our ship. We then had time to explore small downtown and soak in the hot tubs on deck. We were only ones in them! We always try to do our own excursion and ask locals what to do if we rent bikes or use public transportation. Very cheap day and we saw most of Skagway. Pic is of my husband on coastal trail. If I moved a step to the right cruise ship came into view in the cove

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

1373388662098.jpg.8800db47fe7b92b28a6b1fe76575c7f7.jpg

Hello, we were up in Skagway this past week and booked the Bennett Lake Scenic Journey directly with Chilkoot Charters and Tours. You bus one way and train the other. We found the train journey delightful - the views were spectacular. We spent most of the trip outside between the cars ogling the huge drops as we snaked around the mountains. (definitely bring a windproof jacket and fleece top). I don't think we would do it a second time, but we wouldn't have missed it as a one time experience.

My 16 yr old DD and I are renting a car from Avis, and will drive up to Emerald Lake. The train looked interesting, but also more confining and much more expensive. This gives us an opportunity to be a little more spontaneous too.

If you like the outdoors and some adventure, we'd recommend the Grizzly Falls Ziplining Expedition from Alaska Excursions! Just be sure to use bug spray, it is in the forest!

My parents and bro/sis-in-law all took the train tour and were not impressed.

We rented a car from Avis and drove to Emerald Lake..saw beautiful scenery, stopped at a musher/gold panning tourist spot, the Desert, etc. LOVED IT! Download Murray's guide and you still have plenty of time to walk Skagway before the ship leaves.

We were there a few weeks ago on a Princess cruise and booked a tour thru Beyond Skagway Tours, I can't say enough good thing about them, we had 8 in our group and Kevin our driver was prompt, friendly, and was quick to point out animals and local points of interest. We want to Emerald Lake and then took the train back from Frasier, BC to Skagway. It's nice to have someone local doing the driving as you are free to look around and they also know where the animals are most likely to be found. Also you have the option of taking the train one way which is better than round trip. Hope you have a great time.

If you like the outdoors and some adventure, we'd recommend the Grizzly Falls Ziplining Expedition from Alaska Excursions! Just be sure to use bug spray, it is in the forest!

My parents and bro/sis-in-law all took the train tour and were not impressed.

We are actually doing both the White Pass train ride (3 & 1/2 hour one) and taking the Grizzly Falls Zipline excursion. Can't wait!!

We had a great time renting bikes and exploring on our own. The shop was within walking distance and due to a light drizzle at times we were only ones per shop that came in that day. We rode through town seeing some neat buildings and houses then slightly out of town to gold miners cemetery. It was pretty easy terain. At cemetery we left bikes locked to a tree and hiked to a gorgeous waterfall. We then went back through town to a trail that ran along the coast. It got pretty difficult so we walkes a bit if it and went down to beautiful deserted beaches and watched the fog roll in and out. The forests and trails were gorgeous and we got a great view of our ship. We then had time to explore small downtown and soak in the hot tubs on deck. We were only ones in them! We always try to do our own excursion and ask locals what to do if we rent bikes or use public transportation. Very cheap day and we saw most of Skagway. Pic is of my husband on coastal trail. If I moved a step to the right cruise ship came into view in the cove

roaminggoat - thanks for this information as this is just the sort of thing we love to do, and makes it so much easier to plan our last minute cruise! Sounds like you had an incredible day! What can we expect to pay for bike rentals?

We've been to Skagway three times. The first time we did a round trip train trip through the cruise line. The next time we rented a car from Avis and drove up to Emerald Lake using Yukon's guide. The last time, and my favorite, we took the train up, caught a bus on up to Emerald Lake and then back down on the bus. It was a smaller bus so we stopped more often and didn't take as long to load and unload. Booked with Chilkoot Charters.

• 11 months later...
At cemetery we left bikes locked to a tree and hiked to a gorgeous waterfall.

Hello! I know it's a long shot considering this was written a year ago but we're looking to explore Skagway on our own via bike this coming August. Could you give any more information about the hike to the waterfall? Like how long or strenuous it was? Was it easy to spot once you were at the cemetery? Thanks in advance!

Edited by MojitoMadness09

Hello! I know it's a long shot considering this was written a year ago but we're looking to explore Skagway on our own via bike this coming August. Could you give any more information about the hike to the waterfall? Like how long or strenuous it was? Was it easy to spot once you were at the cemetery? Thanks in advance!

The trail is Lower Reid Falls, EASY to do, easy to find. It's the first on this list:

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/shorterdayhikes.htm