Caye Caulker

texasmomoftwo

Is Caye Caulker worth it? I heard the boat ride over is quite long. I am traveling with a teen and an 8 year old. Cave tubing is out, and so is zip lining. We want to snorkel in the reef, and this seems like a good option. But, tell me if you think it is worth it if you have gone.

We have snorkeled in other parts of the Caribbean but thought the reef would be cool. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Why is cave tubing and ziplining out? Been there done that? Both are excellent for teens and youngsters.

Re Caye Caulker. If you do a Shark Ray Alley snorkeling excursion that goes to Caye Caulker, it is a good excursion. You can snorkel off the beach near the Split on CC but it isn't quite the same. Yes the ferry ride if you DIY is somewhat long. But you can also walk around the streets and have lunch or rent a golf cart.

Re Bannister Island. There's not a lot there except what the vendors bring that day, so if you do this you should tie in snorkeling. But it'll most likely be a ship excursion to BI so it could be a bit crowded.

IMHO, Bannister is not a natural island but it is like filled in marsh land, has no real beach & the water there is murky & the bottom is a bit mushy. We went here one time & thought that this would be our first & last time there.

This comes from a couple who live one block from an Atlantic beach here in sunny FL.

If you know what a beachy area should be, you will not really like Bannister.

If you only want to go & drink & lay out, you may really enjoy it, if you can get a lounge chair.

Goff's Cay IMHO is a better beach experience where you can also snorkel with Island Marketing.

Cay Caulker is also a place that you should see one time & form your own opinion if you'd like to return & snorkeling that reef is not to be missed.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

Zip lining is out as we are doing that in Roatan. And we have done it before

Cave tubing: I hate enclosed spaces. Youngest scared if dark. Am I missing out? Please let me know. I value your opinion

If you've ever been tubing down a river, that's what the excursion primarily is. The river does flow through a series of caves, but you'e moving the whole time and you are wearing headlamps. Not really dark or claustrophobic. You are connected to the tubes in front and behind you. You can see the lime formations in all but a coupel of spots. But you are outside, in the fresh air and some excursions offer lunch at the site. Maybe it's not for your family but lots of people enjoy it, including my sister-in-law who wasn't thrilled when she learned we had booked this one.

It's not a place for everyone. VERY laid back and low key. May be best to visit as part of a lunch stop on a snorkel tour. You typically get 1.5 hrs'ish on these tours for lunch and exploring. This gives you enough time to get a feel for the island and determine whether it would be something for you or not. Then on your next trip to Belize via cruise you can return via water taxi OR return for an extended land vacation trip.

I would recommend a snorkel trip to Shark Alley. I think your kids would get a thrill being able to say they swam with sharks!

If you don't do a snorkel excursion and go for the entire day....If you enjoy just taking a boat ride consider the water taxi as part of your excursion. A nice and fairly inexpensive way to take a 30-45 min boat ride (don't quote me on the exact length of time) w/ no snorkeling. They allow you to bring drinks aboard so grab a beer or coke for the kids at one of the shops right outside where you board the taxi. It's all what you make of it.

Archived