Mahogany Bay -- kayak rentals and geocaching?

iheartmarshall

DH and I will be docking in Mahogany Bay in May 2014 and are thinking of hanging out there for the day. I know it's by far not the nicest beach in Roatan but we're doing expensive excursions at our other three ports so we thought it'd be nice to take the cheaper route here.

I do have two questions, though. First, does anyone know how much it costs to rent kayaks and paddle boats? I have searched and searched and have not been able to find prices or even ballpark estimates.

Also, we are geocachers and know there's a few caches in the area -- are they easy(ish) to find without a GPS? We don't own a handheld device and only use the app on our phones, but we don't want to use it and incur international charges. I will admit, we are not the best geocachers but whether we find them or not, we enjoy the hunt!

I'm sure prices have changed, but when Mahogany bay first opened kayaks were around $20 pp for an hour IIRC. These weren't the best kayaks and you were limited to where you could go--small inlet only, not main cove nor out to the ocean. That may have changed some. More recent trips to Roatan haven't really focused on amenities at MBCC except to walk around before heading back to the ship.

Not a geocacher but I have heard there is/was at least one geo cache along or near the walking path to the beach. Where exactly I wouldn't have a clue.

Also, we are geocachers and know there's a few caches in the area -- are they easy(ish) to find without a GPS? We don't own a handheld device and only use the app on our phones, but we don't want to use it and incur international charges. I will admit, we are not the best geocachers but whether we find them or not, we enjoy the hunt!

I'll be there in December and will let you know. However I would highly recommend at least printing an aerial before you go. I've been able to go out in the middle of the night with just a flashlight and aerial printout and found 3*/4* caches.

I'll be there in December and will let you know. However I would highly recommend at least printing an aerial before you go. I've been able to go out in the middle of the night with just a flashlight and aerial printout and found 3*/4* caches.

I will, for sure! We've done that for a couple woodsy ones in areas without cell service and it's worked just fine. Then again, we were somewhat familiar with the landscape so that makes a difference too. I keep trying to talk myself into buying a GPS but we almost always have cell service where we cache, so I can't justify it yet lol

• 4 weeks later...

We cached here a few years ago. One was just off the walkway between the shopping area and the beach. It was not difficult to find, but watch out for the biting ants. The other was in the shopping area. Watch out for the many shoppers! Yes, an aerial shot should do it.

• 7 months later...

We will be on the same cruise during the same dates. Maybe we will run into each other. We're wanting to do the kayaking in Roatan, also. Geocaching sounds fun. We're trying to find cheap activities that keep us active. We live so close to the beaches that we could care less about sitting on a beach.

My boyfriend is in to geocaching and is very excited to hit some in Roatan (as well as Belize and Cozumel on our cruise)! Thanks for the heads up on the ants (EWWWWW). I know he saw the one along the walkway, he didn't mention the one in the shopping area. I will ask about that one.