Ocho Rios Jamaica - Any bad experience?

I'm sure that most of the Jamican people are really nice and I like to think that the riff-raff that bother the tourists are in the minority. That being said, I find it incredible that the Jamaican government does nothing to provide a better experience for the tourists. For an island that is so heavily dependent on tourist dollars, you would think they would make an attempt to make the tourist sites more enjoyable so the tourists would look forward to coming back. The government however doesn't seem to care, so why should I. Based on the experiences that I have had, I would never consider Jamaica for a land based vacation while there are numerous other islands I have visited while cruising that I would gladly go back to for an extended trip.

Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with Peat or Phil ? I have been to Dunn's River Falls before and even though we had a great time, I would feel much more comfortable with a guide. Thanks for your help!

Linda

Here is Peat's info:

Peat Taylor

BONHAM SPRING, LODGE P.O. ST.ANN

JAMAICA W. I.

TEL: 876 975 0028

FAX: 876 975 0205

New EMAIL: onieltay@hotmail.com

"HEY MON NO PROBLEM"

www.peattaylor.com

Well, I will share what we experienced in Jamaica last month. Didn't hire a guide, wanted to climb Dunn's River Falls and do a little shopping on our own. Taxi was easy to get, paid reasonable price for round-trip fare (and the polite driver was waiting where he promised afterward). When we entered into the recreation area at the falls, we were herded by employees into a group of about 40 others and told we COULDN'T climb without a guide. We climbed parallel to another group of about the same size. We were rushed, pulled, and when we tried to separate and enjoy ourselves solo, the guide told us "you have to stay together because you all look the same to me and I won't know who to get tip from." Had heard Jamaicans are "cool" as long as you respect them. DH and I were raised "old school" and have given our kids the same upbringing--other's actions don't determine our REactions. Despite this, the respect we demonstrated to everyone we came in contact with was RARELY reciprocated. After our guide intentionally splashed water into my young teenage daughter's face (she wears contacts) because she wasn't climbing fast enough, we had had enough of the falls and left the water, with him shouting after us "you tip me now!" On a positive note, we weren't hassled in the least going through the market there. Trying to shop in other places just went from bad to worse. When I asked the price of a simply stitched baseball cap and was told $20, I offered $15. The response was "why you so cheap, you can afford it" (Dressed in my cutoffs and flip-flops, I'm sure I rivaled Ms. Hilton in glam--NOT!). In a different shop, my daughter was looking for a thin strap sundress for caribbean night dinner theme, and when shown one with sleeves, politely and smilingly explained to the saleswoman what she was shopping for. The woman was rude and made insulting comments to my child. We were harrassed the entire time we were in the port to buy something, from drugs to hair braiding. I am a generous tipper, have spent plenty of time in urban and third-world environments, and am usually quite comfortable in most settings--I have no problem with high pressure sales tactics, and am a frequent visitor to the border towns south of my home state. However, this day was not the experience I had hoped my family would have. Blatant rudeness is just not enjoyable in any setting. The attitude of the majority of the local people we had contact with was 'can't be bothered with you, but give me your money.' Contrast that with the Haitian people on Labadee--very aggressive to make a sale, but also very friendly. Happily, there were bright spots. Margaritaville was pleasant. Red Stripe beer is tasty, and jerk is fabulous--be it goat, pork or chicken! I know others have had different experiences and I am truly thrilled for them. I have had both good days and bad days in many of my favorite places (including my native S.F. Bay area). If I get the opportunity to go back to Ocho Rios, I will hire a guide and plan excursions before we leave the ship, and hope for a different picture of this tropical island.

We were even harrassed in the market area, I had no less than 4 people try to fill my tobacco pipe. And I don't mean with tobacco.

I agree with the hire a guide like peat taylor or mcbeam or do a ship excurssion. I do however think people exagerate on how bad it is there though, after being to many ports I still think Nassau is 100% as aggressive and has less to offer in terms of fun things to do. Ocho Rios is too pretty to stay on the boat.

We were in Ocho Rios back in April on the Mariner. This was our four time there but since we had our son and his new wife with us, we decided to do Dunn's River Falls and the Dolphin Encounter, all booked through RCCL. We were off to the falls at 9:00 AM and had a blast. That is until we got to the top of the falls. Since our last time there the path back to the parking lot took you directly through a local market where we encountered the most agressive sales folks in my many years of cruising. They were scary! Pulling at you, asking if we did not like Jamaicans, why were we there if we weren't buying anything. You know, the regular Jamaican patter. We simply smiled and waved and quickly made our way through and got back on the bus.

Then we went down to the dolphin encounter. It was now 11:00 AM and we were told that our tour time was scheduled for 3:00 PM. A four hour wait! They told us we were welcome to use the beach and eat lunch there. They were setup to take full advantage of the "captured folks" from the ship. Just another way to trap a tourist....

After reading the notes above regarding the local trips I might take advantage of them next time. We love the West Carib. itinerary and hate to write-off an entire island. But I wiil not take another ship sponsored tour in Jamaica! (We have done tours with RCCL, Princess and Carnival in Jamica with the same general result.)

Hobiecat--that would be my advice to poster as well...also hate to write off place based on just one day.

On a side note, it never ceases to amaze me that some will completely discount another's experience, accuse them of exaggeration, or somehow imply it was the vacationer's fault simply because they had a different experience. WHY???? We are experienced travelers--additionally both DH and I long ago made career choice to work with the roughest element in urban environment, and with usually no problem...when one of our experienced coworkers/self does encounter problems, or a tourist has a bad day in a city I enjoy 98% of the time, it is sometimes just the luck of the draw....hopefully won't happen again soon. Most of the Jamaican people I have met stateside are lovely people and I hope to have a better experience on next trip to Ocho Rios...but I had the experience I had, people said what I posted they said, and I said "no thank you" politely and smiled so much my cheek muscles were sore....didn't halt any rudeness or stop us from being followed or harrassed. Try as I might, just couldn't enjoy my self, DH, 13yo DD and 18 yo DS being offered drugs/goods, shouted at (with one shopkeeper making disparaging remarks about my child's appearance) when we simply smiled and said no thank you, to be followed with continued offers/comments. On the flip side, we had great days in different places that others had lousy experience, so....would still get off the ship, keep positive attitude, and hope you have a wonderful day!

I know it's been mentioned on here before, but I just have to echo the words of the people who have recommended a tour with Peat Taylor.

We went with him a couple years ago, and very very pleased with the tour and service we were provided with. He was very knowledgable, and took great care of us. We wanted to go to Margaritaville and he said he could drop us off and come back in a couple hours to take us shopping downtown.

You can't go wrong booking with him, and for the value you get for the cost, it's a great excursion!

I ALWAYS get off at every port. That is one of the reasons I like to cruise. Jamacia was one of my favorite ports. We did the river tubing and we had the best time. On the way back to the ship my husband was asked if he wanted som pot (this always happens to him) but he just said no thanks.

We are there in a few weeks and we just booked the river tubing experience. Based on previous posts, it sounds like we should enjoy this excursion. We are doing the morning trip, getting us back to the port around 1:00 P.M.

Wondering if there is a good place to eat near the port with my wife, 9 & 12 year-old...or would we be better off back at the Windjammer?

We are there in a few weeks and we just booked the river tubing experience. Based on previous posts, it sounds like we should enjoy this excursion. We are doing the morning trip, getting us back to the port around 1:00 P.M.

Wondering if there is a good place to eat near the port with my wife, 9 & 12 year-old...or would we be better off back at the Windjammer?

Go to Margaritaville. The kids will love the two story water slide and you can have a Cheeseburger in Paradise...:D

crb04 - We, too, had unpleasant experiences in Jamaica on our first visit. At Dunn River Falls I decided to get my girls hair braided - BIG mistake. (this was before I found these boards). Anyway, I was quoted one price & when they were done the price was suddenly doubled! Luckily, my husband wandered back by - he had heard the original price quote too. They changed their tune - my husband is rather muscular & can look "mean". Anyway, that was irritating. Then my 13 year old son (at the time) was offerred drugs countless times while walking through the craft market waiting for the girls & I. He's pretty clever, though - he was wearing athletic shorts & he simply said "no pockets, no money" and they left him alone.

On our second trip to Jamaica, we went with Peat Taylor and had absolutely no problems - a much more enjoyable day. While not my favorite island, I would go back - next time we'll try the river tubing.

Good luck!

I have to totaly agree with most people here with respect to the aggressive nature of the people selling their wares at Dunn River Falls. Because it wasn't my desire to purchase anything, I too was told that I didn't like Jamaican people. Yea, that's going to change my mind and come back to buy something. I understand that this is how these people earn their living, but perhaps if they toned it down a few notches on the rudeness and aggesiveness scale, they might find that they could perhaps sell more merchandise. The way they act is a turn off and I'm sure to some people who are not used to dealing with people of an aggressive nature, this can come off as threatening. But no doubt about it, these people the falls were some of the rudest people I've ever met.

With respect to Peat Taylor, I thought the tour for the most part was good. Peat was great, sang songs, told jokes and showed us some interesting sites. However, I thought the Fern Gully was a joke. Not sure if they take everyone to the same place, but they took us up this hill that had an old lady living in a trailer burning wood in a old 55 gallon drum and about 50 yards further up the hill was an old gutted out rusted car. There was some local fellow telling us about the plants that grew there and explaining what remedies each plant offered. He could have been BS-ing me the whole time and I wouldn't have known the difference. Of course, when the Fern Gully portion of the tour was over and we headed back to the van the local had his hand out. We tipped him a couple of bucks, but some of the people didn't, which got him angry telling some of the people they were cheap, etc. After the tour, Peat dropped us off at Margaritiville, which I must admit was the highlight of the day.

I can tell you, at no time did I ever feel threatend while on the island. Granted, we were on a private tour and not off the beaten path. Also, walking back to the ship I was approached a couple of times by individuals trying to sell Pot. I simply said no and was never bothered or hounded.

I am glad I got to see the sites and experience Ocho Rios, however if I should ever return I think I will spend the entire day at Margaritaville.

Jamaica is a beautiful island and you will have a good experience if you hire a guide. We went with Belinda at a-z planners and Oscar took us around. If you go to the falls, ask for your private guide to take your group up the falls. Of course, you may have to tip a little more but it is well worth it. You don't have to go through the marketplace to get out. If you don't want to go through the marketplace, tell your tour guide and he will show you the way out. At the place where they display the pictures, you just can turn left and go to the parking lot.

We are going back to Jamaica for the 3rd time-once on a cruise and now a 2nd time at Sandals resorts. It is not an island that you would want to go out on your own and just walk around. But, you will get a different perspective with a guide. Have the guide take you to the falls, fern gully, the pottery factory, margaritaville and the nicer stores. There are some nice stores where Margaritaville is located and you can buy soveniors.

If you do it right, you can enjoy yourself. At least get off the ship and see the island.

Archived