Kotor - Mt. Lovcen Drive excursion

I love a good view, and as I don't know I'll make it up to the fortress over Kotor, was considering a ship's 3 hr excursion featuring the hairpins and great views of Mt. Lovcen Drive and a visit to the town of Njegusi for snacks before heading back to Kotor.

This is our first visit to Kotor and as this excursion doesn't include a tour of the city itself, will it be easy for us to find a guided tour at the tourist office in town after we return from the Mt. Lovcen drive tour?

Any input on Mt. Lovcen itself or from those who've taken the ship's excursion would be very helpful.

Thanks!

I love a good view, and as I don't know I'll make it up to the fortress over Kotor, was considering a ship's 3 hr excursion featuring the hairpins and great views of Mt. Lovcen Drive and a visit to the town of Njegusi for snacks before heading back to Kotor.

This is our first visit to Kotor and as this excursion doesn't include a tour of the city itself, will it be easy for us to find a guided tour at the tourist office in town after we return from the Mt. Lovcen drive tour?

Any input on Mt. Lovcen itself or from those who've taken the ship's excursion would be very helpful.

Thanks!

The drive up Mount Lovcen via the very narrow, winding road, with numerous hairpin turns, has some specular scenery of the Kotor and the Gulf of Kotor. The city itself has a population of only 13,510 residents. The old Mediterranean port is surrounded by fortifications built during the Venetian period, but there is really not much else to in see in Kotor. You can easily tour city on your own. There is no need for an organized tour. I would certainly recommend the Mount Lovcen drive and then spend the remainder of your time exploring the little town. The natural beauty of this area is the main attraction.

Click on the link below for information on viewing my Kotor video.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30636631&postcount=231

My wife and I paid 60 Euros, for what amounted to a 3 hour tour from the port, to as far as the taxi could go up Mt Lovcen. It was a spectacular drive, as the previous poster says, round loads of hairpin bends, but with tremendous views.

When we left the port I was wearing shirt and shorts. When we left taxi, we did so in deep snow, so we hiked the last 500 feet, going through a tunnel, up loads of steps. It is spectacular and well worth doing. Our taxi was very comfortable - a new Mercedes, organised from within the port at a tour desk.

The drive up Mount Lovcen via the very narrow, winding road, with numerous hairpin turns, has some specular scenery of the Kotor and the Gulf of Kotor. The city itself has a population of only 13,510 residents. The old Mediterranean port is surrounded by fortifications built during the Venetian period, but there is really not much else to in see in Kotor. You can easily tour city on your own. There is no need for an organized tour. I would certainly recommend the Mount Lovcen drive and then spend the remainder of your time exploring the little town. The natural beauty of this area is the main attraction.

Click on the link below for information on viewing my Kotor video.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30636631&postcount=231

Wonderful video...thank you!

My wife and I paid 60 Euros, for what amounted to a 3 hour tour from the port, to as far as the taxi could go up Mt Lovcen. It was a spectacular drive, as the previous poster says, round loads of hairpin bends, but with tremendous views.

When we left the port I was wearing shirt and shorts. When we left taxi, we did so in deep snow, so we hiked the last 500 feet, going through a tunnel, up loads of steps. It is spectacular and well worth doing. Our taxi was very comfortable - a new Mercedes, organised from within the port at a tour desk.

I like the idea of going by taxi and how exciting that you ended up in deep snow. What time of year were you there? The price for two people is definitely better than the ship's excursion although the excursion is 4 hrs and includes tour of small town and tastes of local ham and cheeses. But having our own taxi as opposed to being part of a busload is MUCH more appealing.

The other thing we'd like to do is go out to the church Our Lady on the Rocks and wondering if it's possible to do both in one day.

I like the idea of going by taxi and how exciting that you ended up in deep snow. What time of year were you there? The price for two people is definitely better than the ship's excursion although the excursion is 4 hrs and includes tour of small town and tastes of local ham and cheeses. But having our own taxi as opposed to being part of a busload is MUCH more appealing.

The other thing we'd like to do is go out to the church Our Lady on the Rocks and wondering if it's possible to do both in one day.

We were there at the beginning of May. Clearly there had been huge snowdrifts, but most snow had melted, leaving only the sheltered bits. Here are a few photos from my trip report

The taxi will take you anywhere you want to go, though not all drivers speak English, so you need to discuss your itinerary with the booking office and they will explain to the driver. We were offered extensions to our tour and lunch, but we declined as we were unsure of what was being offered, but we had no problems. Going privately has the distinct advantage of leaving before the roads get clogged with tour busses and they are too big to get as high as the taxi did.

Archived