Breakaway dining and toddler thoughts...

dcollette

Ok, now I am a realist, so don't blast me right out of the gate, here folks. :D We will be travelling on the Breakaway and my youngest will be 3.5 yrs old at that time. Now, he is not known for being super patient and can get fidgety. At home, when we go out, I can generally keep him quiet and entertained by allowing him to watch things on you tube (like Mickey Mouse, etc.) on my phone. However, we won't have that option on the ship since I'm not going to pay for internet service.

So, here are my thoughts and I am asking for others to contribute who have been on the ship so that I can make the best choice for all.

My plan is to have some extra apps on my phone that my son can use without internet (there are many to pick from) that will hold his attention if he starts getting bored. I would like to attempt the first night in one of the MDRs and see how it goes. I know my son. If he gets disruptive, I have no issue leaving with him and letting my older girls (teens) finish their dinner in peace, along with the rest of the diners. There may be enough distraction with all the activity in the dining room that he could manage ok, but I'm not betting on it. We plan to eat early. If this fails (as I realistically expect it to) then my alternate plan is to feed him dinner at the buffet and have the girls and I eat later on without him. Although I prefer all of us to eat together (as we always do at home) I understand this may not be possible, as this is more like dining out at home rather than eating at our dining table at home where if he gets down out of his seat it isn't the end of the world.

I don't want to eat dinner at the buffet every night just to have us all eat together, as I enjoy being served as I rarely get the opportunity to have someone wait on me for a change. We are most likely going to do one fee restaurant (I wouldn't even consider taking my son to this) for my younger daughter's birthday--her choice of restaurant and what day she would like to do this (as long as they aren't booked solid).

Any thoughts from others? I am the type of parent that expects my children to behave appropriately in a restaurant, and with toddlers, that can be hit or miss.

Thank you for any insights.

I find it refreshing that you are aware of your young sons limitations when it comes to time. His behavior is totally age appropriate. Sadly, too many parents turn a blind eye (and ear) to their disruptive children when in public. One thing I might suggest is in the morning, take some cereal boxes from the buffet to give to your son when you sit for dinner as an "appetizer". Same goes for the wrapped crackers you can find on the buffet at lunch time. Maybe some crayons and a pad of paper? If at all possible, request a table in a corner, or along the wall so that your son can "stretch his legs" in the immediate area of your table. Enjoy your cruise!

I find it refreshing that you are aware of your young sons limitations when it comes to time. His behavior is totally age appropriate. Sadly, too many parents turn a blind eye (and ear) to their disruptive children when in public. One thing I might suggest is in the morning, take some cereal boxes from the buffet to give to your son when you sit for dinner as an "appetizer". Same goes for the wrapped crackers you can find on the buffet at lunch time. Maybe some crayons and a pad of paper? If at all possible, request a table in a corner, or along the wall so that your son can "stretch his legs" in the immediate area of your table. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for those ideas, they sound great. The snacks especially. Good way to keep him occupied while waiting. I like the table location idea, too. This may sound silly, but he already has a coloring book type app on my phone that he loves to use to "draw" with, and my phone is smaller and easier to carry, lol. His behavior is age appropriate and I wouldn't want him to ruin anyone's dinner, that isn't fair to anyone. That is why I have advised my girls that we will try it the first night, see how it goes. If he is too fidgety, I will certainly leave with him, take him up to the buffet to feed him where it won't be an issue. If that is the case, then unfortunately we may have to feed him at the buffet earlier and once we can drop him at the kids club go eat without him. Not my preference, but whatever works. I love your ideas, that is exactly why I posted, to get thoughts from others. I wouldn't have thought to ask for an "out of the way" table that maybe he could stretch his legs without being disruptive to others. Thank goodness we choose NCL and have the ability to go freestyle to suit our needs. :D

We have cruised with an 18 mo old and then a 2yo and 4yo. Previous suggestions are very good! Along lines of snacks, When you sit down, ask for some bread as well. Our servers were great on getting them something to nosh asap.

We also had a PSP that played movies. Generally, not something I approve of, but for happiness and sanity we allowed them to watch a Disney movie with headphones. (Never start out with it - break it out when needed.)

We also took a mid-meal stretch. Somewhere after soup/salad and while waiting for entrees, one adult would take a brief walk outside of the dining room. Sometimes made it a game - I Spy, etc. This helped to get wiggles out and added a quick change of pace. Then, entrees went well because promise of dessert - behave or we have to leave. ;)

Small toys come in handy - always had a few matchbook cars or a couple of legos in my purse. Buy some new small toys - check out Target's dollar spot. New stuff is more interesting and special. ;)

Have fun! =)

We just completed our 4th cruise with young ones. Our first cruise was with a 2 year old. We first took a portable dvd player with tons of movies. Worked like a charm during dinners and she didn't bother anyone. Now she is 6 and we have a 2 year old. Our last cruise we had an "activity bag" we took with us everywhere on the ship where we would be sitting down. Coloring books with crayons, ipad with tons of apps and cartoons, still with the dvd player, a deck of cards (a little game of go fish between courses) etc. We also take bubbles to blow off the back of the ship while it moving. has nothing to do with dinners but still fun to do!

We have cruised with an 18 mo old and then a 2yo and 4yo. Previous suggestions are very good! Along lines of snacks, When you sit down, ask for some bread as well. Our servers were great on getting them something to nosh asap.

We also had a PSP that played movies. Generally, not something I approve of, but for happiness and sanity we allowed them to watch a Disney movie with headphones. (Never start out with it - break it out when needed.)

We also took a mid-meal stretch. Somewhere after soup/salad and while waiting for entrees, one adult would take a brief walk outside of the dining room. Sometimes made it a game - I Spy, etc. This helped to get wiggles out and added a quick change of pace. Then, entrees went well because promise of dessert - behave or we have to leave. ;)

Small toys come in handy - always had a few matchbook cars or a couple of legos in my purse. Buy some new small toys - check out Target's dollar spot. New stuff is more interesting and special. ;)

Have fun! =)

More great ideas, thank you! We have a PSP, but only a couple of movies for it, none he would be interested in. Didn't think of that. I like the take a walk suggestion, that might just save the day as well. As long as they don't put us somewhere where it would be disruptive to others, that is a great way to expend some of that endless energy. When we cruised with my girls at this age, they were not so restless, so we didn't have these issues. I have older boys and believe me, I know that boys are more fidgety most of the time :D

Good thought about the small new toys, great ideas! Thank you again.

Archived