Port Canaveral Kayaking

DM

I posted this on the port of call board without any response. I was hoping that someone here may be able to help.

I am thinking of doing a kayaking trip while in Port Canaveral. I have found Adventure Kayak that offers a 2-1/2 hour trip. Also the Brevard Zoo offers off-site trips. They have a 2 hour or a 4 hour trip. Kayaking sounds like fun, especially since they normally encounter manatees and dolphins. Can anyone give me information on any of these trips? Also, what was your experience with getting from the ship to the site where the kayak leaves. One more thing - I know it is terribly hot in Florida in July but I'm thinking that being in a kayak on the water will be a bit cooler. Tell me if this is correct or will I roast anyway. Thanks for any and all info.

Debbie

You won't roast on the coast always a sea breeze, only in Orlando. The kayak group starts at the ramp road boat ramp. That's in Cocoa Beach about 5 miles from PC. I fish where they paddle around, it's a very pretty area called thousand islands. Thousand Is. is an undisturbed series of shallow mangrove islands that will reminds me of the back county in the keys. Great fishing if they let you.

Thanks for your response. Do you know the best way for 5 people to get from the port to the boat ramp? Would you recommend a cab or would we be better off renting a car for a couple of hours?

Thanks again

Debbie

Cab would be the best way, unless you have to take your baggage. If you have a cell you could call them when ready to go or have them meet you at a certain time. Yellow Cab 321-636-1234 or All American cabs are reliable.

If you like windsurfing, there a shop at Kelly ParK (county park) directly across the river from PC (see the ships), about 3 miles. Allot of competitions (USA Junior Olympics 2005 etc.) are held there because it's shallow and with a Southeast sea breeze there's a 6 mile fetch. They rent boards, have classes and also rent kayaks. The park has bathrooms, fresh water showers, pavilons, boat ramps and a food store across the street that also has fishing poles and sells bait, you don't need a fishing license if you fish from shore. Good fishing around the bridge.

Here's their link: http://www.calema.com/

Archived