Worried/MSC Divinia Dec cruise 2013

robinathome

I disagree, it is very simplistic to judge sophistication by cost. A line does not offer seven courses per meal, the heaviest bath towels at sea, a pillow menu and opera on tap if it is simply aiming at the unsophisticated masses.

Low fares are there to win market share. 'Kids go free' is there to attract the younger part of it rather than those who are about to die soon. As for the kids, "get them while they are young"....

I believe MSC is playing a long game and judging its degree of sophistication by current fares and policies is misguided.

Besides, look who the line currently attracts ;).

I see from your cruise history who it currently attracts

I am judging it's sophistication on its merits, which attracts the crowd looking for low prices and enjoys kid filled pools and decks.

I want to thank all of you who replied to my "worried" message. I am now excited since this is such a new ship. I am more prepared for what to expect and no matter what I will have a great time. And I will give you the update on my return. There are 2 cruises ahead of mine on this ship in the Caribbean. Thanks again!

MSC does not need to report to the public shareholders or pay huge sum for its owner to run an expensive professional basketball team.

In fact, I know some Chinese cruisers who can afford Crystal etc prefer MSC because they see the value. From my only MSC cruise, I think there were lots of well to do and educated passengers, not cheap Italian families on holiday. And who can say Italians with their fine food taste and fashion sense would fell for unsophisticated cruise line?

That's a racist generalization of Italians, kinda like jersey shore, the sopranos and the godfather don't represent Italians.

It would be easy to make remarks about Southern Europeans on cruise ships, but would be very unsophisticated of me to generalize about a certain nationality.

Well, that's the thing about sophistication Moocow, you either have it or you don't, it's not something like sheets or towels that you can purchase.

I'm confused. First you suggest it's a scale, then you maintain it's an absolute.

Plus I didn't get an answer to my query.

No matter, I'm fully aware of what sophistication entails. It's similar to class. Some have it, some are lacking. Neither is a pre-requisite for me to converse with someone, but the presence of one of them is preferable for me to enjoy and continue it.

Luckily (for me at least) I find evidence of both on these boards and on the very cheap cruises I purchase.

I am judging it's sophistication on its merits, which attracts the crowd looking for low prices and enjoys kid filled pools and decks.

Them too, but if we decide to go with MSC again, this will not be because of lower price. I can find low prices on most of the cruiselines. I never cruise just for a price. There should be another reason.

I want to thank all of you who replied to my "worried" message. I am now excited since this is such a new ship. I am more prepared for what to expect and no matter what I will have a great time. And I will give you the update on my return. There are 2 cruises ahead of mine on this ship in the Caribbean. Thanks again!

I think you will enjoy your cruise.

Beautiful and fun ship and MSC is trying hard to please NA passengers.

:confused::rolleyes:;)

I have been looking at this "sophistication" question as a ship adjective, rather than the individual passengers.

I've met sophisticated individuals on every cruise and in every county/city continent I've ever been to, and many of the not so sophisticated.

I'm not saying some MSC passengers aren't sophisticated, I'm saying that I don't consider MSC to be a sophisticated line in general, nor do I consider most mass market lines.

No doubt, a line that constantly touts low prices and kids sail free will attract the lower end of the sophistication scale, as does the up sale of faux exclusivity and culture appeals to the aspiring masses

I'm confused. First you suggest it's a scale, then you maintain it's an absolute.

Plus I didn't get an answer to my query.

No matter, I'm fully aware of what sophistication entails. It's similar to class. Some have it, some are lacking. Neither is a pre-requisite for me to converse with someone, but the presence of one of them is preferable for me to enjoy and continue it.

Luckily (for me at least) I find evidence of both on these boards and on the very cheap cruises I purchase.

That's a racist generalization of Italians, kinda like jersey shore, the sopranos and the godfather don't represent Italians.

It would be easy to make remarks about Southern Europeans on cruise ships, but would be very unsophisticated of me to generalize about a certain nationality.

It was more like my own complimentary observation on their fine food taste and fashion.

And if you think generalization is bad, why are you making general assumption about MSC clientele?

I see from your cruise history who it currently attracts

There are a record 25 of us on the roll call for my next MSC cruise and none are travelling with children. I can barely recall seeing half a dozen children on my two cruises with MSC - admittedly repos attract a different demographic (the sophisticated, worldly-wise, without children and who like to obtain maximum value from their money, earned or otherwise).

I don't understand how parsimony and sophistication are mutually exclusive?

Indeed Moomoo, the aristocracy have a tradition of parsimony and of having children. Now the Royal Yacht has gone, I would imagine the Windsors would prefer MSC to P&O and would not be caught dead on Carnival.

Hi Robin,

I have sailed on the Divina in June 2012 and on the Poesia in Feb 2012. Both cruises were amazing. The Divina is one classy ship, beautiful decor with rich subdued earth tones. Nothing like the bling of Carnival. You'll have a great time. MSC keeps a sales office in Fort Lauderdale and have a very good understanding of the US market.

Hi Robin,

I have sailed on the Divina in June 2012 and on the Poesia in Feb 2012. Both cruises were amazing. The Divina is one classy ship, beautiful decor with rich subdued earth tones. Nothing like the bling of Carnival. You'll have a great time. MSC keeps a sales office in Fort Lauderdale and have a very good understanding of the US market.

scubadiverh2o, which ship did you like better?

I just received an email a couple of days ago showcasing the new changes that is being made to the MSC DIVINA for its November 2013 , a steakhouse restaurant called Manzo(famed after its Manhattan location), an italian restaurant named Ristaurante Italia,they are offering Aqua Cycling,an all white party. I think the Divina will be very "Divine".:)

After all the posts I am feeling better and its all a go now. I did Holland America for New Years a couple of years ago in the Caribbean, someone posted their thoughts here. I have to say it was a nice ship(actually forgot the name) But a very quiet ship low key cruise. So I am looking forward to more activity and even more people to meet. Thanks again.

Someone posted a link to MSC Club that I should join before I go. I am not in the Yacht Club part of the ship but if there is anything I should join please let me know.

MSC Club member is not just for YC guests. Even at the lowest classic level, there are some discounts to be had. Take a look at the member benefits to gauge whether you need one before your sail.

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/MSC-Club/Memberships-Benefits/Overview.aspx

Were did you get the update on new things aboard MSC Divinia? Thanks for the update.

Robinathome-

Attached is a press release with new enhancements for the Divina. If you have further questions, please feel free to write to us at customer-srvc@msccruisesusa.com

Happy sailings everyone!

Divina press release.pdf

MSC USA .... Do you have any time frame of when these changes will actually take place ? so far everything i have read appears to lack this important piece of information!

Hi Sidari-

The restaurant changes will begin in the next couple of months and will be completed by the TransAtlantic cruise at the beginning of November.

I hope this helps!

Were did you get the update on new things aboard MSC Divinia? Thanks for the update.

they sent me an email about the new upgrades to the MSC Divina once it starts sailing in the fall of 2013 from Florida, i received it about 10 days ago.:)

I have read with much interest the different views of other CC members regarding MSC, and wanted to give our family reasons for choosing MSC....we have sailed Lirica (2 times), Poesia and will sail the newest ship for New Years coming up in Dec13/Jan14. We also sail on Regent, Oceania, Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, Princess and private vessels in locations on all continents except Asia (give us time). We initially chose MSC when they first came to the US because our two grandchildren sailed free - we admit it - we like to cruise and if we can save money, WE WILL! We loved our first MSC Lirica trip so much we booked another 10 day cruise in 2 suites - Our grands loved being around other kids (who did not speak their language) and trying to figure out how to communicate - guess what - they all got along wonderfully well! Son and DIL encourage them to make new friends and they have a great time - in the children's program and outside the scheduled programming - THEY LOVE TO TRAVEL.

We actually enjoy the announcements in several languages - it reminds us that English is not the exclusive language of humankind! And because we love traveling in Italy, we love engaging different crew on their home towns, families, etc. The shows on MSC cruises are better than almost all we have seen on the other cruise lines- and the classical music is much appreciated - while we enjoy island and smooth rock bands, we also really enjoy the classics - violin, flute, cello, piano played by those who have worked years to achieve a high level of ability. We like the drink and wine packages on MSC and find them to be a better value than most other cruise lines offer. Risotto - we are fans of this dish and my hubby loves that he can order it at each meal - I will say that the octopus risotto was NOT the favorite but we love the exposure to things we have not tried before. MSC knows how to party - New Years Eve on an MSC ship was the most fun filled party on a lido deck we have ever enjoyed!

Bottom line for us is that each line has some things we love and some things we would change BUT we always enjoy the differences, welcome new experiences and never stop reminding ourselves that we are on VACATION and enjoy each and every minute - life is short and time spent complaining is usually time you will be missing something good! So - choose the line you love - try MSC and if it is not for you - there are plenty of cruise lines - enough for everyone and MSC will have folks sailing on them everywhere in the world without a doubt. Happy Sails to You!

I have read with much interest the different views of other CC members regarding MSC, and wanted to give our family reasons for choosing MSC....we have sailed Lirica (2 times), Poesia and will sail the newest ship for New Years coming up in Dec13/Jan14. We also sail on Regent, Oceania, Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, Princess and private vessels in locations on all continents except Asia (give us time). We initially chose MSC when they first came to the US because our two grandchildren sailed free - we admit it - we like to cruise and if we can save money, WE WILL! We loved our first MSC Lirica trip so much we booked another 10 day cruise in 2 suites - Our grands loved being around other kids (who did not speak their language) and trying to figure out how to communicate - guess what - they all got along wonderfully well! Son and DIL encourage them to make new friends and they have a great time - in the children's program and outside the scheduled programming - THEY LOVE TO TRAVEL.

We actually enjoy the announcements in several languages - it reminds us that English is not the exclusive language of humankind! And because we love traveling in Italy, we love engaging different crew on their home towns, families, etc. The shows on MSC cruises are better than almost all we have seen on the other cruise lines- and the classical music is much appreciated - while we enjoy island and smooth rock bands, we also really enjoy the classics - violin, flute, cello, piano played by those who have worked years to achieve a high level of ability. We like the drink and wine packages on MSC and find them to be a better value than most other cruise lines offer. Risotto - we are fans of this dish and my hubby loves that he can order it at each meal - I will say that the octopus risotto was NOT the favorite but we love the exposure to things we have not tried before. MSC knows how to party - New Years Eve on an MSC ship was the most fun filled party on a lido deck we have ever enjoyed!

Bottom line for us is that each line has some things we love and some things we would change BUT we always enjoy the differences, welcome new experiences and never stop reminding ourselves that we are on VACATION and enjoy each and every minute - life is short and time spent complaining is usually time you will be missing something good! So - choose the line you love - try MSC and if it is not for you - there are plenty of cruise lines - enough for everyone and MSC will have folks sailing on them everywhere in the world without a doubt. Happy Sails to You!

Thank you for sharing your comments and painiting a picture of MSC Cruises for us. I am booked on the Divina in December 2013 and am looking forward to my first MSC cruise. Thanks for providing a balanced view, I appreciate it.

soccer

:) We are also going on the MSC Divina on Dec.11th and I'm a little worried about the cruise reading all the negativity in my research ..I'm thinking about canceling but want to consider a bit before I do . If you have found any peace of mind please fill me in to ease my mind . Thank you in advance for your help .

Worried! My family 4 adults and a 2 year old are planning a Dec cruise with MSC Divinia for 11 days in the Caribbean. My friend is a travel agent and she just told me she has not heard anything good about this cruise line. Most of the reviews are from the European MSC cruises. Since I have been a Flight Attendant for 25+ years flying to Europe I understand some things that were different that what we in the US are used to. BUT I would love to hear from anyone that has been on this ship in the USA on a Caribbean cruise.

I'm sorry I meant Dec 10 .not Dec 11[.:oquote=robinathome;39170734]Worried! My family 4 adults and a 2 year old are planning a Dec cruise with MSC Divinia for 11 days in the Caribbean. My friend is a travel agent and she just told me she has not heard anything good about this cruise line. Most of the reviews are from the European MSC cruises. Since I have been a Flight Attendant for 25+ years flying to Europe I understand some things that were different that what we in the US are used to. BUT I would love to hear from anyone that has been on this ship in the USA on a Caribbean cruise.

Archived