Has anyone been to Cognac, France?

hurwitz5

I've posted questions on the Europe (France) boards about Cognac, France but haven't received an answer. We are sailing on the Infiniti in September and docking in La Rochelle. We are in the process of booking excursions. We would like input from other who have gone to Cognac and Saintes, France. Another choice we have is a trip to Il de Re, near La Rochelle.

We rented a house near Cognac for a month a few years ago and visited the distilleries several times. Each one has a different slant, and we enjoyed the experience. We also toured the Ile de Re while we were there. This year we are taking a wine cruise with Celebrity, and when we stop in La Rochelle we plan to rent a car and go back to the Ile de Re where we enjoyed the tranquility and we hope to find the charming restaurant where we ate dinner in the garden.

Sheila

DW and I spent a couple of days in Cognac during an extended driving trip that included that part of France. Since I am a Cognac lover...I really enjoyed touring several of the Cognac houses based right in town. Its pretty easy to just walk around Cognac and visit multiple facilities...most of who have tours. And just about all the tours do include some tastings :).

Hank

Although I have not yet visited Cognac, I will be doing so during my Celebrity Infinity Immersive Wine Cruise of September 6th. I have arranged a tour for my DH, myself and 11 others on the Cruise Critic roll call with Cognac Tours. The owner is Jayne Crawley; her e-mail is: cognactours@aol.com A dear and well-travelled friend recommended a trip to Cognac; and, I am following his advice. Take a look at Trip Advisor for reviews on the Cognac chateaux. We are going to visit Courvoisier and Remy Martin, as well as a local vintner. Trip Advisor also has reviews of the Ile de Re, which is the third most-visited area in France, known for its gorgeous beaches and splendid seafood. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful day!

Judith

Not much to add to the helpful comments already made by other posters, but just wanted to say that this area you're visiting is just about my favourite region in France.

If the tour choice is Cognac OR Saintes, I'd choose Cognac because it's such a pretty little town with the addition of course of the tasting tours.

The Ile de Ré is gorgeous, with stunning beaches, and great oyster restaurants.

The weather in September can be wonderful, especially early in the month. Don't be misled by a chilly start in the morning, when the sun burns off the cool mist, after around 10am, the temperatures can reach the high 70's - low 80's and it's comfortable for walking or sitting outside for lunch etc.

The local tourist offices in France are very helpful. You will find that even the small towns have an official tourism website, if you email them they will usually be happy to send you some information brochures, small maps etc.

A truly lovely area of France - enjoy it!

Archived