Getting kids ready for cruising

snowy owl

So what are some things you do to get your kids ready to go on a cruise?

We go over rules, do's and don'ts, how to behave and we like to have a few formal dinners at home to get the table manners down. We do other things too but that is a few things. Just thought I would start this to give first timers some ideas.

Just before we leave we head to the library and get books related to the ports we're going to. Before Belize we got a really good book about Belize with lots of pictures. Before we went to the Cayman Islands we got a book about stingrays since we were going to swim with them on an excursion. The day before we get to that port we get the book out and read it out loud and look at the pictures. This is educational, it prepares the child for the next port, it answers all of those questions ahead of time so you don't get the "why, why, why" questions, and you're spending quality time together.:)

My daily mantra: "Go near the railing and you WISH you were being fed to the sharks when I get done with you", "Touch an elevator button more than the floor you are going to and you will BEG me to let you jump over the railing", "no whining"...

I also show them pictures of the ship almost every day and they do chores to earn arcade money for the cruise. They are pretty ambivalant about it tho. They get excited but they are not as focused on this as I am. Oh we practice our manners when we eat. This has made dinner most pleasent and wonderful. That has been the very best part.

We also look at maps to see where we are going and how long it will take and lots of photos of the ports. We talk about how people might live who are not from our part of the country. I know I sound like a tyrant but we have a lot of fun.. just as long as they stay away from the railing and the elevator buttons ;)

My daily mantra: "Go near the railing and you WISH you were being fed to the sharks when I get done with you", "Touch an elevator button more than the floor you are going to and you will BEG me to let you jump over the railing", "no whining"...

Love it:)

Nliedel - You don't sound like a tyrant at all! We've been trying to instill a sense in the kids that there are many, many other pax aboard and they don't want to hear kids arguing through the cabin walls. Last year the boys received several compliments; they were very well behaved in the dining room. However, there was one instance where they got out of hand in the cabin (fighting over a GameBoy, I think). This year the GameBoy stays home.

The one thing we did to get our kids ready (2 and 7) was to watch our ship come into port and sail out of port on embarkation and disembarkation days (NYC Empire State Building Web Cam). That got them really excited. And, I went over the rules of the Kids Crew with my 7yo a few times. The fact that my DH and I have cruised 10 times between us helped, too. We told them what to expect and how to behave. Most importantly, we emphasized how much fun they would have. And, they did. They had an absolute blast!!!! As did we :D

I also show them pictures of the ship almost every day and they do chores to earn arcade money for the cruise. They are pretty ambivalant about it tho. They get excited but they are not as focused on this as I am. Oh we practice our manners when we eat. This has made dinner most pleasent and wonderful. That has been the very best part.

We also look at maps to see where we are going and how long it will take and lots of photos of the ports. We talk about how people might live who are not from our part of the country. I know I sound like a tyrant but we have a lot of fun.. just as long as they stay away from the railing and the elevator buttons ;)

Good job let them know what is expected of them!!!!!

Nliedel - You don't sound like a tyrant at all! We've been trying to instill a sense in the kids that there are many, many other pax aboard and they don't want to hear kids arguing through the cabin walls. Last year the boys received several compliments; they were very well behaved in the dining room. However, there was one instance where they got out of hand in the cabin (fighting over a GameBoy, I think). This year the GameBoy stays home.

Good for you!!!!!

I have my son do a report on each port so he knows what there is to do there!!! He gets to use the computer for something more than just games!!!!!:eek:

He loves to use google now to find pictures of where we are going and stuff about what other people did and how they liked it!!! I'm done with the manners thing,, he knows now what is expected of him at dinners.. Now hw wears a tux with me!!! imagine that??? Like step-father like son,,,humm

When we were taking our first cruises.. I, too had the kids do their own reports on the Ports that we will be visiting.. check out weather/ customs- stuff like that. Get a feel of what youwould like to do when we get there.

THey also get a what is madatory --dinner for one and no excuses-- no hurry through dinner to get to the other friends. Port time was family time also- these were the only times I saw my kids.

No going to other people cabins for any reason...and no friends coming into your either.

• 2 weeks later...
The one thing we did to get our kids ready (2 and 7) was to watch our ship come into port and sail out of port on embarkation and disembarkation days (NYC Empire State Building Web Cam). That got them really excited. :D

How does this work (Empire State Web Cam) and where do you find it? :confused: Is there something similar anywhere else. We will be going out of Miami, but heck the kids are too small to know the difference (5,4 and 3)!

Also, does anyone know if, pre-cruise, there are any packages of kids stuff available from the cruise line - RCL - that would get kids excited about what's coming up.:confused: Even decent pictures of the actual ship seem to be hard to come by - Radiance of the Seas.

Two yrs ago, on our first family cruise..... the boys were 4 and 8. We drilled in thier little heads "we are not allowed on the balcony without a parent". They were so good about this, that by the end of the cruise, they could go out and sit in the chairs if we had the curtains open. We also discussed table manners in lenghth and prepared them for the five course meal.

Last year, we gave them a little more freedom (no, they were not running around without us!) - they knew the ship so well, that they did not need help ordering dinner or lunch, they would wake up each AM and sit in the balcony chairs, and they actually minded their manners!

Although cruising is the BEST family vacation.... DH and I are looking forward to going alone in December!

Catrin

Shamrock-- here is the cam page

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/ports/alta_loma.htm

you can view cams in the US ports-- or if you click on the Caribbean you can view ports elsewhere. Its a fun site. Lets the kids see where the ships dock.

Ex--if you click on Miami...under the photo that is there will be 3 or 4 other cams that you can look at.

No matter what the age, kids should help pack. The older they get, the more responsibility they can have for packing. Apart from learning how to pack - it helps them learn responsibility, logical thought, and planning. It also helps get them excited about the trip, because as you talk through what you need to pack, you will be talking about the great things that you will be doing.

We tried to give them a sense of the ship routine and custom-- what we'd do on sea days, what we'd do in Bermuda. Also that we'd have a cabin steward and dining room waiter and bus boy and that most of the crew would be from all over the world. We also did the table manners drill and the no running in the halls drill.

They loved our Bermuda cruise, adored our waiter and bus boy (all the waiters treated them like little princesses!)

We rented the DVD "Look Mom I have good Manners", it was a fun video set up like an audience participation game show. Not as indepth as I would have liked to be, but the kids enjoyed it and passed verbal test in the video.

Now if I could just get them to put it all into practice!!!!

We got an Ocean View Cabin instead of a balcony, so that we wouldn't have to worry about them going out there by them-selves.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is a rather late post, but I just came across this thread an noticed something missing that I think is important.

We're very lucky that our boys (4 & 7) have excellent table manners and don't really need to be "coached" for things like that. However, I anticipate quite a few older people on the ship than the kids are used to being around at once.

We're sailing in a week (yeah!) and we've been reminding them every day that they need to be aware of others and their needs. We tell them that running on the ship is never OK, to be patient, to hold the doors for older people, and to ALWAYS let people off the elevators before going in (this is a pet peave of mine).

Barb

However, I anticipate quite a few older people on the ship than the kids are used to being around at once.

We're sailing in a week (yeah!) and we've been reminding them every day that they need to be aware of others and their needs. We tell them that running on the ship is never OK, to be patient, to hold the doors for older people, and to ALWAYS let people off the elevators before going in (this is a pet peave of mine).

Barb

Thank You!!!!! I have bad knees and a 7 year old can put me to the ground so quick by running by me!!!! I have a great problem stopping quick or tring to avoid a child. You would never think it by looking at me but I have some of the weekest knees, that I am just happy to walk!!!! Please let me off the elevator before you rush in!!!!!!;)

We are taking two teens on a RSSC cruise and since we have never cruised before, I'm wondering what exactly I should be advising them? It is a smallish ship(700pp) not really geared to teens but we will be taking excursions in every port(Alaska). Other than not goofing around on the balcony or anywhere else they could fall off the ship and the usual safety precautions regarding strangers and not going into anyone else's cabins, their manners are already good, what else would you advise? Thanks

• 1 month later...

I read the best tip on good table manners when my daughter was very small. Light Candles! Children notice the different tone set by dim lights and candles even at 2, and their behaviour changes accordingly. Set the table with all the silverware for 5 courses, light the candles, watch and enjoy! Even though my daughter is now 14, and has very good manners, I may do a practice run, candle light dinner before our cruise just for fun.

I find even at 14 she really likes to have a plan. I will take the map of the ship to a print shop and have a photocopy made for her to look at before we leave and small enough for her to carry in the pouch with her sign & sail card.

If she would like to do any excursions she is responsible for doing the research, and explaining why it is a good idea for a famiily excursion.

She gathers all of her clothes to be packed. Then, together, we will pack everything into the suitcase (we will both check off our lists as an item goes into the suite case). She is responsible for packing a carry on with fun stuff for the plane and the rest of the trip (Miami and the cruise) on her own.

Since she will have more freedom on the ship than she does at home, we have started having discussions on what is appropriate (or not) behaviour on the ship. Also, what to do when she sees other kids misbehave (I've heard of kids drinking, using drugs, throwing deck chairs overboard etc. so the rule is don't stand around, watch, wonder if you really saw what you think you saw, or laugh— get away fast). We also discuss the rules other parents mentioned above. I trust her but not every one on board will have the same rules or supervision as we do, and it is better to talk about it before we are on the ship.

. . . and to ALWAYS let people off the elevators before going in (this is a pet peave of mine). . .

. . . and a pet peave of mine! I think everyone should be reminded of that and of not stopping smack dab at the bottom of a flight of stairs. If you don't know which way to go, get out of the way before trying to get your bearings!

For under 5 crowd, tear off the page of the ship's floor plans from the cruiseline brochure and study it before you go on board. Then once on board, you can do a "Dora the Explorer" or "Go Diego Go" exploration of the ship according to the pages you have been studying.

Table manner is a must. If you don't take them to restaurants often, do a restaurant before the cruise to let them know what is expected of them.

For older children, get out the globe and let them see the itinerary. Let them do a little research in the library and/or the internet and see what they can find out about the weather and people/culture of the countries you will be visiting.

For under 5 crowd, tear off the page of the ship's floor plans from the cruiseline brochure and study it before you go on board. Then once on board, you can do a "Dora the Explorer" or "Go Diego Go" exploration of the ship according to the pages you have been studying.

Table manner is a must. If you don't take them to restaurants often, do a restaurant before the cruise to let them know what is expected of them.

For older children, get out the globe and let them see the itinerary. Let them do a little research in the library and/or the internet and see what they can find out about the weather and people/culture of the countries you will be visiting.

Even though my girls are older, we still go over all the rules! They both have fun starting their own teen thread in the Roll Call. On our last cruise they both had about 4 online friends. I remember waiting in the lines to board and the girls were looking for their friends already. Our next cruise is a ways off, but once I booked our reservation, the first thing they both asked " Have you met any families with kids yet" Too bad there isn't a teen section in the Roll Call area.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived