horseback riding in Skagway

moldal13

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a good independant tour agency that does horseback riding in Skagway? We're trying to find a low cost fun thing to do in Skagway and I love horseback riding but the excursion through Carnvial seems a little pricey.

Thanks!!! :)

Well I was trying to find low cost too...no such luck there.....what I did find was a better quality independent excursion.

I ncl has their excursion that I heard is comparable to anything I could do here.

I researched the boards and found alot of reccommendations for Southeast horsebackriding. Do a search on it, in this forum....better yet, I'll bump up one of the threads for you if I can find it.

They offer an awesome excursion to horseback at Emerald Lake in the Yukon.

southeast is the tour provider. They pick you up and take you to this place where the horsebackriding is provided.

www.yukonhorses.com

$150 bucks...but it seems well worth it when I compare it with my ship's excursion which I found at: www.chilkoothorseback.com

Check it out.

We recently did South East/Yukon Horseback Riding (with Joni). They pick you up in town, shuttle you up the Yukon Highway (which runs parallel with the White Pass Rail road trip, only you're across the valley) to their ranch and you ride for approximately 2 hours. The sights are breathtaking and Emerald Lake is beautiful. The horses are well cared for and well behaved. The entire trip lasted approximately 6 hours if I am recalling correctly. Other posts have the link to this company. I think the cost was $150 pp.

Thank you ...Thank you ....Thank you !!! I'm trying to convince my hubby to do the horseback riding instead of the railroad trip. I've heard the WhitePass railroad trip is breathtaking though.....!!! Decisions...Decisions!

MolDal13

I'm so bummed :mad: The only tour left through Southeast tours begins at 10:30am. With it being a 6 hour excursion, we won't make it back to the ship ontime :( I'm just so hesitant to book through the ship because it's $150 for 3.5 hours. That just seems outrageous, when Southeast has a 6 hour tour for the same price.

This sounds awesome! On the trip to the area where you horseback ride, is there an opportunity to take pictures along the way? I was considering renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake after reading so many positive reports, but now I'm considering the horseback riding. The nice thing about the rental car is that you can stop and take pictures.

Also, how many people were on the tour? Thanks for the help!!!!

We rode with Joni on June 15. The weather in Skagway was AWFUL - rainy and cold, and everyone told us that the weather would clear as soon as we crossed the pass into the Yukon. They were right! We ended up with a beautiful, warm, sunny day. The horses were very sweet, smart and well cared for. Joni and her assistant were also very nice. We were in a small van and a total of twelve people went on the horseback trip. We did stop along the way for photos and we saw a bear at the side of the road which we also took pictures of. Our driver was very nice, and spoke to us along the way about the gold rush history of Skagway and the Yukon. On the way back, we even stopped in Carcross and had our passports stamped. You will enjoy this tour very much.

We rode with Joni on June 15. The weather in Skagway was AWFUL - rainy and cold, and everyone told us that the weather would clear as soon as we crossed the pass into the Yukon. They were right! We ended up with a beautiful, warm, sunny day. The horses were very sweet, smart and well cared for. Joni and her assistant were also very nice. We were in a small van and a total of twelve people went on the horseback trip. We did stop along the way for photos and we saw a bear at the side of the road which we also took pictures of. Our driver was very nice, and spoke to us along the way about the gold rush history of Skagway and the Yukon. On the way back, we even stopped in Carcross and had our passports stamped. You will enjoy this tour very much.

Hello rachelt!

Was scanning the boards and came across your post. My family was on the same van! We were the ones with the two teen girls and 12 year old boy. Only we didn't do the horse back riding, we kept going further into the Yukon while you rode. We had wanted to ride but my husband's back has been bothering him lately. Anyway, this was one of our favorite days from the cruise - the weather was so beautiful once we got to the other side of the mountain!

Its really a small world for me to find your post!:D

P.S. Just can't seem to get back into the swing of things at home - keep thinking about the cruise. I've been reading the boards because its a way to slowly let go:(

Depending on how long your ship is in port, you could try to rent a car and do the drive yourself. That's what we ended up doing because the southeast tours timing didn't work for our port time either. The ride is incredible. Check our previous posts..................My daughter and I both have horses and this was a good ride for us!

This sounds awesome! On the trip to the area where you horseback ride, is there an opportunity to take pictures along the way? I was considering renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake after reading so many positive reports, but now I'm considering the horseback riding. The nice thing about the rental car is that you can stop and take pictures.

Also, how many people were on the tour? Thanks for the help!!!!

For clairfication, you can drive yourself to Joni's

We just returned on Radiance today, we had emailed w/ Joni directly about our horseback riding trip booked with her. We had a group of 10 people, half had ridden once before & the other half never. Joni has the most well cared for, and tame horses. Joni & Molly were extremely patient & helpful working with us. Southeast tours picked us up at 8am at the pier, it took 1.5 hrs to drive to the ranch, we rode for 2 hours, stopped for lunch & a museum tour in Carcass (sp?), and about 2 hrs to ride back to the pier because we stopped for photos. Joni was excellent, our day in Skagway was the best day of the whole trip. Definitely sign up with Joni.

We rented a car in Skagway and booked our horseback ride directly with Joni. The ride to the ranch just past Emerald lake was great. Her horses are beautiful and easy to ride even if you are not an experience rider. We had a wonderful time and would definitely book with her again if were return.

• 5 weeks later...

To those who have already taken the trip: is it okay to wear sneakers to ride? Dave from SEtours said no hiking boots, but I did not think to ask about sneakers. My sister did not want to bring her riding boots, and the rest of us don't own any! I am assuming it is a westernsaddle.

Thanks!

To those who have already taken the trip: is it okay to wear sneakers to ride? Dave from SEtours said no hiking boots, but I did not think to ask about sneakers. My sister did not want to bring her riding boots, and the rest of us don't own any! I am assuming it is a westernsaddle.

Thanks!

Sneakers are fine - that's what everyone in my family of four had on.

Just booked with Joni for Thursday August 18. Independent pricing is $120/adult and $100/child for a two hour ride or $60/adult and $50/child for an hour ride.

We are renting a car from Avis ($60), driving to Emerald Lake, riding horses for an hour, drive to Carcross and Caribou Crossing to see the musuem and sled dogs and eat a late lunch at maybe Cinnamon Cache, and then heading beach to Skagway to see the RR museum and store.

Archived