Article: "Port of Galveston Major Contributor to Cruise Industry"

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/9583.html

Port of Galveston Major Contributor to Cruise Industry

on 17 July 2013.

The Port of Galveston ranks as the fourth busiest cruise port in the U.S. based upon embarkation according to a recent study prepared by the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA). In 2012, the Port of Galveston, Texas’ only major cruise port, welcomed 863,000 passenger and crew, which is 4 percent of all passenger and crew visits at U.S. ports.

With over $1.2 billion in direct spending and almost 20,000 jobs paying nearly $1.1 billion in total income, Texas accounted for 6.3 percent of the industry’s overall spending nationwide. The state ranking rose from fourth to third. The Port of Galveston embarked approximately 604,000 passengers and was the second fastest growing cruise port in 2012.

Next year will prove to be even better for Galveston’s cruise business, with the addition of Royal Caribbean International’s Navigator of the Seas year round operation offering Texas vacationers roundtrip seven-night Western Caribbean itineraries throughout the year and the continued year round operations of Carnival Cruise Line’s Carnival Magic and Carnival Triumph .

“The Port of Galveston is committed to remaining in the top 20 cruise home-ports worldwide. We are dedicated to strengthening our existing relationship with the cruise industry and increasing the economic impact to the local and regional communities.” said Mike Mierzwa, Port of Galveston Port Director.

The Port of Galveston, Texas’ Star Cruise Port serves as the primary point of embarkation for cruises to the western Caribbean and the Bahamas and handles over 1.2 million cruise passengers annually. Three cruise lines, Carnival Cruise Lines, Disney Cruise Line, and Royal Caribbean International, sail from Texas’ premiere cruise port.

:)

With Navigator sailing from there year round it will probably be more profitable for Galveston than having Disney, RCCL, and Princess sailing from there part time.

Between the full time ships in Galveston and Princess and NCL sailing seasonally from Houston, I'm loving the options :D

Some of the cruise lines are pulling out this year. Houston is picking up two cruise lines. For sure Disney is leaving Galveston.

Not sure what your statement is supposed to mean.

Disney is leaving to focus on Florida. Personally, they are way too expensive to even compete.

Princess is moving to the port of Houston because the port of Galveston refused to bow to their demands where Houston coughed up millions of dollars to get Princess. Houston will make no money.

Not sure what your statement is supposed to mean.

Disney is leaving to focus on Florida. Personally, they are way too expensive to even compete.

Princess is moving to the port of Houston because the port of Galveston refused to bow to their demands where Houston coughed up millions of dollars to get Princess. Houston will make no money.

The port of Houston has been a money pit since they built it. I just saw today on ch13 that Princess is adding more cruises to it. (I was busy doing other things and only caught part of the story). While Bayport is closer to me (live by Katy) than Galveston I would much rather visit and leave from the island. I visit refineries and chemical plants day in and day out for work so seeing them while on vacation does not appeal to me at all.:D

Archived