Going Topless in St. Barts Saved My Life!

Crez4jc

Almost 2 years ago, my husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary, renewing our vows on a lovely beach in Barbados with family and friends, cruising the Caribbean on a Princess cruise ship, and ending our vacation with a much anticipated week in St. Barts. While enjoying our second day on the island, I decided to go “native” and get some sun on my very white breasts. While applying sunscreen, I felt a lump about the size of a lima bean on the top of my right breast. A little shocking, to say the least since I had a mammogram in May and it was clear. We enjoyed the rest of our week, and I didn’t worry about the lump, there was no history of cancer in my family. When we returned home I got into the doctors right away, had an ultrasound and a lumpectomy and was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma on Nov. 11, 2011. While going through PET scans, MRI’s and numerous other tests, the doctors also found thyroid cancer. Today, I am “cancer free” after 2 lumpectomies, a thyroidectomy, 4 months of chemo and 2 months of radiation!

Dear Cancer,

I hate you! I hate that fighting you made my hair fall out! Fighting you made my eyelashes and eyebrows fall out! Fighting you sapped all my energy to take care of my family! Fighting you sapped my desire to work out, and made my body too weak to work out, even if I could! Fighting you took me away from my teenage daughter, during her first “boyfriend” and first break-up. Fighting you took me away from my grandson, who’s first words were, “Nana sleeping...” Fighting you had been one decision after another on which scars I would carry for the rest of my life! Fighting you has felt like it was killing me and some moments, of some days, I wish I had died! Fighting you has made me question my God, and ask why would He do this to me?

But.....

I love you! I love that fighting you has made me stronger! I love that because of my fight with you, my hair is coming in curly, my eyelashes came in longer and my eyebrows are in great shape. I love that fighting you has made me more aware of how to take care of my body and not overdo things, and softer muscles are exactly what a grandson needs to cuddle up to. I love that fighting you helped my daughter realize how important our relationship is and how much she needs me! Fighting you left me scars that I will have for the rest of my life to remind me, that you aren’t so tough, but I AM!! Fighting you makes me look at my big toe every morning, and if there’s no tag on it, I can see that I’m going to have a great day! Fighting you has made me realize what a great man I have in my husband, who fought you right by my side every step of the way! Fighting you has made me realize that God loves me more than I even knew and has brought me closer to my Him through constant prayer, as He is the One who gave me the strength to kick your butt!!

An unwilling, but grateful cancer survivor!!!

Cheryl

• 1 month later...
Such an uplifting post. Love your attitude. Wishing you continued good health and a long happy life. :)

Exactly what Daisyloo said! Thanks for your post, it's a reminder to us all to live life as we go along. Wishing you continued love and health!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...